Turn on thread page Beta

Mild rant: The English tabloids watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A thought or two before I go:

The English tabloids are stupid. But before I go on may I state that I am talking about the sensationalist crap on the back pages, not the sensationalist crap on the front pages or the ads in the middle.

We are far too keen to heap praise on our young sportsmen. That praise soon becomes pressure as we overhype the poor soul. Then when they don't reach the level we hyped them up for we question them, we may even turn on them.

Recent example: Michael Owen. Scores one good goal in the World Cup and he is god. Season after season he has dry scoring spells and shorter spells of hat-tricks. Despite this huge level of inconsistency, and that his only real asset is his pace, he shall take us to glory in Euro 2004. And when he doesn't, he will be looked at as a player who has underachieved. Stupid, isn't it.

A potential example: Andrew Strauss. He gets two big scores on debut and suddenly we have former captains retiring for him and talk of one of the best batsmen in the world (Michael Vaughan - but has he been overhyped too?) moving down the order for him. It's crazy.

We put too much pressure and expectation on our young sportsmen far too soon. Look at the French football team, their press didn't badger them when they were young and now they are actually (and not just potentially) one of the world's best teams. Their press let them come of age when the time was right. I think it's the same across the continent (apart from Spain maybe?). Why can't we do that?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Thats the press aint it?!

ReputationRep:
    Finally someone else agree with the "Owen Debate"!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    i prefer the back pages.. its about people succeeding in things rather than failing.

not that i read tabloids at all cus they are a load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think the french football team is one of the worlds best teams

ReputationRep:
    The british media are one of the reasons the england team are under preforming, they damage our national team so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    Do you watch football?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    they rrrrr the bestest team !!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tammypotato)
    they rrrrr the bestest team !!!!!!
    i suspect that view may be slightly biased... :rolleyes:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.