The Student Room Group

LGBT songs

Hi,

So recently I've been really trying to find good gay songs. I've found a few but I'm still searching for more really. I really want to find more so I'm wondering if anyone else knows any gay songs which you would suggest or if anyone else is searching too.

(It's probably worth noting I am gay which kinda explains my interest.)
ABBA or the Village people in my experience go down well with those batting for the other side
All The Things She Said - forgot who the song was by but it was 2 russian schoolgirls and it is quite old.

Take Me To Church - Hozier

Tmtc has homosexual symbolism within the music video and the lyrics.
Madonna's 'Why's It So Hard', 'Deeper and Deeper', 'American Pie', 'Vogue'.

Lady Gaga's 'Born This Way'.

Ke$ha's 'We R Who We R'.

Katy Perry's 'Firework'.

Christina Aguilera's 'Beautiful'.

Kacey MusGraves's 'Follow Your Gun'.

Little Big Town's 'Girl Crush'.

Kelly Clarkson's 'People Like Us'.

Beyoncé's 'Run The World (Girls)'.

Rihanna's 'Te Amo'.

Shakira and Rihanna's 'Can't Forget To Remember You'.

P!nk's 'Raise Your Glass'.

Janet Jackson's 'Together Again'.

Macklemore's 'Same Love'.

Rascal Flatts's 'Love Who You Love'.

Sir Elton John's 'Your Song'.

The aforementioned 'Take Me To Church'.

There's also a Garth Brooks song on HIV awareness but I don't remember what it's called.

Not entirely sure what you meant by LGBT songs, but all of these are in one way or another related to LGBT. If you're talking about songs that gays tend to like, it's all the bops released by pop divas Queen of Pop MADONNA, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears, Rihanna, Katy Perry, Taylor Swift, Cher, Ke$ha, Christina Aguilera, Kelly Clarkson, Jordin Sparks, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Lady Gaga, ADELE, Jessie J, Ariana Grande, Lily Allen, Mariah Carey, Jennifer Lopez, Beyoncé, Nicki Minaj, etc with the occasional bops from divos such as Justin Timberlake, Usher, Chris Brown, One Direction, etc.
lady gaga - hair (acoustic)

the smiths - hand in glove

Original post by LibraPower
All The Things She Said - forgot who the song was by but it was 2 russian schoolgirls and it is quite old.

T.A.T.u.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you. :smile:
Well thank you all, I appreciate it :smile:
Reply 7
This is my own special area of expertise, even if I don't identity as a member of the LGBTQ community. Some of these songs are about LGBTQ issues, others are just songs that are popular in the community. I think it is great feel good music in general, hence why I love gay bars :lol:

Abba - Dancing Queen
Abba - Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)
Bananarama - Venus
Bonnie Tyler - Holding Out For a Hero
Bronskie Beat - Why
Bronskie Beat - I Feel Love
Bronskie Beat - Smalltown Boy
Bronskie Beat - Hit That Perfect Beat
Cher - The Shoop Shoop Song
Culture Club - Karma Chameleon
Cyndi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun
Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round
Diana Ross - I'm Coming Out
Donna Summers - I Feel Love
Donna Summers - Hot Stuff
Elton John - Don't Go Breaking My Heart
Eurythmics - Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Relax
Gloria Estefan - Conga
Gloria Gaynor - I Will Surive
Irene Cara - Flashdance
Irene Cara - Fame
King - Love & Pride
Laura Branigan - Gloria
Labi Siffre - Something Inside So Strong
Michael Sembelo - Maniac
Olivia Newton-John - Physical
Pat Benatar - Love Is A Battlefield
Pet Shop Boys - It's a Sin
Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls
Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
Queen - I Want To Break Free
Roxette - The Look
The Communards - Don't Leave Me This Way
The Pointer Sisters - I'm So Excited
Village People - YMCA
Village People - In The Navy
Village People - Macho Man
Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
Wham! - Club Tropicana
Anything from Simon Curtis, a gay singer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

Take Me To Church - Hozier

Tmtc has homosexual symbolism within the music video and the lyrics.

T.a.t.u

I was reading something about that a little while ago, it's not strictly an LGBT song - their producers basically made the girls act as lesbians as like a publicity stunt. A few years ago they admitted it was all fake :LOL:
so...any reason you guys have only listed truly horrific clubby~ or even media-stereotypically-gay pop songs? why group LGBT people into such a generalised herd? it's like if somebody asked "what are songs for black people?" and answering them with gangster rap music or ultra-traditional gospel blues from the 1940s southern states...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by zippity.doodah
so...any reason you guys have only listed truly horrific clubby~ or even media-stereotypically-gay pop songs? why group LGBT people into such a generalised herd? it's like if somebody asked "what are songs for black people?" and answering them with gangster rap music or ultra-traditional gospel blues from the 1940s southern states...

Stereotypically gay pop songs? It's what you make of them, and it seems like you are being a hypocrite by basically generalising that pop songs are made for gay people, am I wrong? You seem pretty ignorant.

I'm gay myself and I'm black. I listen to some hip-hop, but I tend to listen to all genres.

The original poster asked for songs, I put the songs I like so what is the problem?
Stereotypically gay pop songs? It's what you make of them, and it seems like you are being a hypocrite by basically generalising that pop songs are made for gay people, am I wrong? You seem pretty ignorant.

I'm gay myself and I'm black. I listen to some hip-hop, but I tend to listen to all genres.

The original poster asked for songs, I put the songs I like so what is the problem?

no I'm not saying that pop songs are only for gay people, I am saying that the songs that the users have posted on this thread have generally consisted of very stereotypically-gay songs that the mass-media-darlings **** out (e.g. miley cyrus, lady gaga, etc) to seem as if they're gay-friendly - I am suggesting that that is not the only or the prime genre that gay people listen to - lyrically, just because they talk about LGBT issues, or the artist themselves are gay (e.g. how is the ymca something gay people particularly identify with based on the lyrics? and there are gay people/singers in rock bands like judas priest- would that make their music "gay"?), that means nothing - there are emotional connections to LGBT issues in songs of different genres to what the media is constantly saying is "gay music". the music itself, too, is what ought to matter, because if the song that is made by a gay person, and is written with "gay" lyrics, it doesn't mean anything if it's a terrible song which is badly written
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest