Turn on thread page Beta

Why are all the best girls unatainable? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Don't joke with me about that, girls are a very touchy subject at the mo.
    I apologise, I was not aware of that. In my elivated happiness I though I could do a joke people would find funny, but, as I have said before, it does not work. from now on I shall not inflict any of my humour on UKL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I am not belittling him, I was simply pointing out a possible reason for his anger/frustration. The second post on the subject was an attempt at a joke, clearly no one thinks it is funny, so I shall return to my serious self.
    Saying "Maybe he can't get a girl" is belittling - it's nearly always said with a patronising tone. Just because you've suddenly materialised a girlfriend doesn't mean you should mess with other people.

ReputationRep:
    I apologise, I was not aware of that. In my elivated happiness I though I could do a joke people would find funny, but, as I have said before, it does not work. from now on I shall not inflict any of my humour on UKL.
    Thank you for making UKL a better place. Very noble of you.

ReputationRep:
    I think he thought Daveo was being light-hearted when he wasn't. I certainly did, and I'm sorry for my post above (the one about being angry/bitter).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Saying "Maybe he can't get a girl" is belittling - it's nearly always said with a patronising tone. Just because you've suddenly materialised a girlfriend doesn't mean you should mess with other people.
    I was not trying to be patronizing, I have had enough of being picked on in my life to know the damage it can cause. I might have worded the post wrongly, making it sound belittling that is all.

ReputationRep:
    I am not belittling him, I was simply pointing out a possible reason for his anger/frustration. The second post on the subject was an attempt at a joke, clearly no one thinks it is funny, so I shall return to my serious self.
    Didn't sound very jokey to me. In future i'll kindly ask you to keep any thoughts of me you may have to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Didn't sound very jokey to me. In future i'll kindly ask you to keep any thoughts of me you may have to yourself.
    I wouldn't worry too much Daveo. At least you don't have to play the sympathy card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    Why is it that whenever I try to be light hearted or make a joke at someone else, an event that has happened numerous times to me, even on UKL, people decide to get all defensive and take the other person's side, yet when I am the butt of the joke, so to speak, I am hardly defended, it really does not seem fair.

I see now my attempt at a joke was out of line and have been told that already, so why don't you just drop it now, rather than rubbing salt in my self-inflicted wound.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that the poll is pretty conclusive, id say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sm0273)
    It seems that the poll is pretty conclusive, id say.
    the poll is now irrelivent. it proved a point, but no longer matters.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it that whenever I try to be light hearted or make a joke at someone else, an event that has happened numerous times to me, even on UKL, people decide to get all defensive and take the other person's side, yet when I am the butt of the joke, so to speak, I am hardly defended, it really does not seem fair.

I see now my attempt at a joke was out of line and have been told that already, so why don't you just drop it now, rather than rubbing salt in my self-inflicted wound.
    Well, the thing is that what you were doing was just that - rubbing salt in wounds. Daveo's in this instance. Being jokey is all very well, we all do it a lot. But joking about something that's obviously sensitive is just stupid.

ReputationRep:

You never take anyone else's jokes lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, the thing is that what you were doing was just that - rubbing salt in wounds. Daveo's in this instance. Being jokey is all very well, we all do it a lot. But joking about something that's obviously sensitive is just stupid.
    I didn't know that at the time. I cannot read people's feelings in real life, let alone on UKL. The overuse of emoticons has confused me, so I never know when people are joking or not.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know that at the time. I cannot read people's feelings in real life, let alone on UKL. The overuse of emoticons has confused me, so I never know when people are joking or not.
    I'd stop digging, if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayban)
    You never take anyone else's jokes lol
    I cannot take anyone else jokes, I cannot understand mainstream humour.

ReputationRep:
    who r the best girls?

ReputationRep:
    You just seem to be able to wind everybody right up at times, plus the moderators are constantly having to delete your threads. I think the time may have come to step back a bit and ease your posting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    who r the best girls?
    You are the best girl on here

ReputationRep:
    I cannot take anyone else jokes, I cannot understand mainstream humour.
    That's no excuse. If you can dish it out you've got to take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    You are the best girl on here
    hehe - if only you meant it

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.