Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Well then, realise that your interests are unlikely to be interesting to others and don't talk about them, talk about general stuff or stuff they are interested in.
    The problem is I know too much stuff about loads of stuff, which makes me good at trivia, but very bad at making small talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    That scared girl would be me...
    exactly my point, my entire being is repulsive to girls, my sense of humour is warped, my interests are considered geeky, I would make a gargoyle look attractive and I have next to no social skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    I suppose I could do, but I would be scared that I wouldn't fit in, especially at a star trek convention, I would be petrified that a hardcore trekkie would come up to me and make me look foolish.
    I should imagine that seeing as Star Trek fans are mocked by a lot of people, they wouldn't spend their time trying to mock or knock down each other! I thought these kind of events were set up so people could share their interests rather than just make each other feel small. Unless, of course, it's an S&M convention!

ReputationRep:
    Stop talking about getting girls for a second. First address the issue of your self-esteem. Look at all that you are unhappy with about yourself, a fair bit of which you've cited here. You have a choice, to accept it or to change it. Either way try and be happy with this aspect of yourself. Make sure you are happy with yourself before trying to make others happy with you.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately many people think its necessary to make small talk, so you might have to learn how to do it. Its really not that difficult to do though, most people are entertained even by the most mundane crap, I find you just pick it up through talking to people.
    I am also not assertive enough. Sometimes I have something valid and interesting to say, but can never get an opening in the conversation, simply because I do not want to see m rude by butting in.

ReputationRep:
    That scared girl would be me...
    The scared girl WAS me, once, I had a boyfriend who kept quoting out of his favourite movies, telling them to me like he was making conversation. I hadn't a clue what to do

ReputationRep:
    Why are all the best girls unatainable?
    Because they're the best, are you not. lol

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately many people think its necessary to make small talk, so you might have to learn how to do it. Its really not that difficult to do though, most people are entertained even by the most mundane crap, I find you just pick it up through talking to people.

hahaha yes you're right - i'm damn annoyed about that kind of thing - oh well!!

but i can be very confident and talk rubbish on here

so girls, do you need some love?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I challenge all of you to find a girl on UKL who thinks I am in the least bit attractive. We shall forgo my personality for the moment, I just wish to prove a point.

ReputationRep:
    Why would u want to prove no one likes you lol.

ReputationRep:
    Don't then, no real harm done by staying quiet.
    but if I make a valid contribution, I may warm up to the girls as they will think I am interesting, whereas if I stay quite they may think I am dull as I don't have anything worth contributing.

ReputationRep:
    Just going by a small pic of your face?

Shall we start a poll? :rolleyes:
    I shall endevour to get an updated one, but yes, i shall start a poll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sami_ThePeelite)
    so girls, do you need some love?
    No, but I need some mindless adulation and worship!

ReputationRep:
    You know what a the problem is Wiwarin? I think its the fact that you are so self pitying all the time, whenever ive come on here, ive never got the jist that you were happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F. Poste)
    No, but I need some mindless adulation and worship!
    I'm good at worship, one of my ex-girlfriend craved attention, so I had to be interested in her almost 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    You know what a the problem is Wiwarin? I think its the fact that you are so self pitying all the time, whenever ive come on here, ive never got the jist that you were happy.
    I am very rarely really happy, there are times when I can be really happy, but whenever something seems to go against me, I dwell on it.

ReputationRep:
    i don't mind adulation and worship as long as you share night-time with me hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I get the feeling that people are voting the option that I wish to hear on the poll.

ReputationRep:
    I am very rarely really happy, there are times when I can be really happy, but whenever something seems to go against me, I dwell on it.
    You would do well to realise that five years down the line you'll look back at your unhappinesses and think how petty they were. I used to think it was the end of the world that I couldn't get a Baby-G watch :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The F. Poste Temple is two doors to the right!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 31, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.