Drinking and clubbing in uni?

Watch
Cara18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I am really not the type to drink or go out clubbing at university, i have absolutely no problem with people who do but i have my own personal reasons not to. I am worried there will be no one like me and that I won't fit in at all ( I am planning to stay in halls). My main question is, are any of you people like me?, don't get me wrong, i am a very fun person and i love spending time with friends and doing things such as going to the cinema, going shopping, going out for dinner. Just not clubbing and drinking .
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i m not big on clubbing or drinking either but had no problem making like minded friends at uni so dont think you ll have a problem. I d say join a few societies when you start it will help you meet people
username996405
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Cara18)
I am really not the type to drink or go out clubbing at university, i have absolutely no problem with people who do but i have my own personal reasons not to. I am worried there will be no one like me and that I won't fit in at all ( I am planning to stay in halls). My main question is, are any of you people like me?, don't get me wrong, i am a very fun person and i love spending time with friends and doing things such as going to the cinema, going shopping, going out for dinner. Just not clubbing and drinking .
Of course! Uni is full of people who don't like drinking and clubbing - it's just down to personal preference really. Your uni should have some non-drinking/clubbing events going on during Freshers Week so you can meet like-minded people.
And like claireestelle said, joining societies!
Cara18
Rep:
?
Aww thank you for your answer, as i say, i have nothing against those who do drink, it is just my personal preference not to! you have made me feel a lot better, hopefully I will make friends who understand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cara18
Rep:
?
Thank you! hopefully others are as understanding

Posted from TSR Mobile
ladyfluentwhite
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm the same! I don't drink for both personal and medical reasons, but practically all of my friends drink- I have no problem with that as long as they have no problem with me :3 Im going to uni in september and from what I can tell so far, even though the majority of people will be drinking heavily etc. people seem pretty understanding (my friends went to uni before me, so my experience has been of going to their halls etc) and as long as you find other ways of being social, and maybe tolerate going out to a bar/flat party every so often, join societies and find others like you, I'm sure it'll be fine! Thats what Ive been doing, and its what I plan to do in the future. And if you need someone to talk to about it, you can message me too
Cara18
Rep:
?
I hope they do understand , like i say, i am a very social person and i do make an effort going out for dinner, going to the cinema, shopping etc and i wouldn't have a problem joining any social clubs either! . Thank you for your lovely answer!! I was so worried I wouldn't fit in but now i feel a bit better

Posted from TSR Mobile
ladyfluentwhite
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I hope they do understand , like i say, i am a very social person and i do make an effort going out for dinner, going to the cinema, shopping etc and i wouldn't have a problem joining any social clubs either! . Thank you for your lovely answer!! I was so worried I wouldn't fit in but now i feel a bit better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trust me, there are people from all walks of life, something like not drinking won't ruin your experience! I don't like clubbing because of my past experiences with it, but I can go to friends flat parties or hang out with them if they're meeting up for a drink at home before going to a restaurant/cinema etc. so if you can find a compromise like that, it will make people understand that its not going out with them or their drinking thats the issue
And at the end of the day, you can just explain to people how you feel and they'll usually respect your choices and consider you when they're making plans :3

Hope some of this rambley advice helps haha c:
Cara18
Rep:
?
I feel so much better now to see that there are people like me! Haha, i thought I would be an outcast with no friends!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.66%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.26%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.8%
Financial worries (50)
6.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.69%

Watched Threads