Student1157
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, my psychology teacher told me that I only need 52 UMS (for each paper) to get a grade B but she suggested UMS points are the amount of marks you have on the exam but that can't be...because for unit 3 there are 100 UMS Marks available but it's only out of 72. So basically, if I only need 52 UMS, how many marks does this mean I need for tomorrow's paper? Sorry if this is really inarticulate, really tired 😂
TheFinalFlare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey there,

The raw marks which you get on your exam will convert into UMS; then the UMS from your exams will be added together in order to get your grade. So example, you may score full marks on the exam (72/72) - this mark will then be converted into 100 ums.

As a further example to try and help illustrate what I'm saying, I, for instance, acquired 69/80 for my psychology unit 2 paper (edexcel) last year. However, this mark was equal to 114/120 UMS for that exam paper

You'll have to check out grade boundaries on the exam board's website and look at the raw marks vs. UMS concurrently to see the amount of raw marks you need to get so much UMS. What exam board are you with (I assume AQA?)?

Either way, hopefully what I've written makes sense with regard to UMS and helps in some way.
Student1157
Rep:
?
Hi, thank you

Yes I'm with AQA and the grade boundaries are as follows: A=80 B=70 C=60 D= 50 and E= 40
And that's for both papers...

Thank you for your quick reply!
TheFinalFlare
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Student1157)
Hi, thank you

Yes I'm with AQA and the grade boundaries are as follows: A=80 B=70 C=60 D= 50 and E= 40
And that's for both papers...

Thank you for your quick reply!
Those are UMS boundaries and they'll remain the same every year, just to try and clarify x)

I've had a look at the AQA website and looked at the grade boundaries (from last year) for all of the A2 papers; basing it upon the fact that you said you need 52 ums in each paper (you can obviously just pay attention to whichever marks are relevant to you);

Unit 3:
Psychology A - 52 UMS = 29/72 raw marks
Psychology B - 52 UMS = 26/72 raw marks

Unit 4:
Psychology A - 52 UMS = 32/83 raw marks
Psychology B - 52 UMS = 29/60 raw marks

Hopefully this makes things a little more clear and gives you some insight into what you need
Student1157
Rep:
?
Hope this isn't too forward but I think I'm in love with you😂 thank you so much, that's amazing!

-Jacob
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (50)
30.3%
No (115)
69.7%

Watched Threads