The Student Room Group

will UCL or LSE consider me?

I am doing Maths Chem Physics this year at AS, I think I will get a strong A in chemistry, borderline A in maths (slipped up in m1 but i'm good at maths, will go for an A* next year), and like a mid B in physics. I'm planning to drop physics and fast track economics a level next year. My gcse's were 5A*'s and 5A's.

My teachers have said they will predict me an A* in maths and chem and an A for the fast track economics (this prediction is based on a variety of factors during my school life).

I am not able to take further maths even up to an AS because of timetabling and the fact that i am fast tracking economics.

I will try and write a very good personal statement and will use the fast track economics to show that enthusiasm for the course. But do I not have a chance at LSE/UCL because of the lack of FM?

I want to apply to LSE, UCL and QM (insurance) for economics, can't apply anywhere else as i need to stay in london. If get rejected by UCL/LSE, ill probably just look into Chemistry at Imperial :tongue:

edit: out of LSE and UCL, i would like UCL more :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Congrats on your past academic achievements / your decision/commitment to fast tracking econ next year.

Remember it's important to actually want to study the subject you apply for not only so that you can write a decent personal statement (and by decent I mean it must be top notch for those universities). I would think more carefully about what you want to study than "if you don't get into LSE/UCL you'll try Imperial for something completely different".

For pure economics (at UCL/LSE) it is pretty much a standard that everyone does further maths because of high maths content, if you are predicted an A star in single/get high UMS at AS/ and most importantly get a very glowing reference from a maths teacher you definitely have a shot though. (In pure econ - ie not joint honours - those two unis really look for double maths though so make sure you push that reference or you'll probably be overlooked unfortunately).

Just a couple of notes on competitive for UCL/LSE Econ/how important maths is to them -
I have offers for Econ/Geography Joint Honours at UCL and they require an A* in Single Maths despite only being 'half' econ, while my friend with faultless past grades -doing double maths- was rejected for both LSE and UCL in pure econ for 'only' being predicted AA in Further Maths - which is much harder than an A* in Single maths. (This is why I stress you getting a glowing reference for your Mathematics ability if you do decide to apply - the A* prediction alone probably won't be enough unless you have incredibly high UMS this year)
Original post by JamesFAD
x

Thank you for the lengthy reply. But to be honest with you, my UMS for maths AS isn't great, I think I am looking at a borderline A (240 ums) due to M1. My core modules were strong and averaged out to 90. I guess I don't have a chance at UCL/LSE? If I don't have a chance then I may just look at Queen Mary Economics or Investment Financial Risk Management at CASS. :smile:

Yes, I know UCL are really competitive so that's why I made this thread :tongue:
Omg you are so lucky. Is it finally confirmed?
Reply 4
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Thank you for the lengthy reply. But to be honest with you, my UMS for maths AS isn't great, I think I am looking at a borderline A (240 ums) due to M1. My core modules were strong and averaged out to 90. I guess I don't have a chance at UCL/LSE? If I don't have a chance then I may just look at Queen Mary Economics or Investment Financial Risk Management at CASS. :smile:

Yes, I know UCL are really competitive so that's why I made this thread :tongue:

By all means try it but I think you'd be in a tough crowd honestly, for straight Economics those unis tend to ask for UMS scores and check if you're above 90 on everything if not almost everything. QM is by no means bad though :smile: Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Reply 5
hi guys, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on which unis i could get into to do economics with these results: 6A* 6A at GCSE

and i think i will get 3A's (AS Maths, Economics, Biology) 1B (Chemistry) and 1B (A2 Maths) really disappointed about a2 maths as i know i've really messed up in my mechanics module and think it might bring me down to a B. but i plan to resit and bring maths up to an a*

i'm predicted A*A*AAA(Maths, Economics, Chem, Bio, F Maths respectively) at a2

i've done a lots of economics related extra curricular and work experience

thanks
Reply 6
Original post by sazmaster
hi guys, i was wondering if you could give me some advice on which unis i could get into to do economics with these results: 6A* 6A at GCSE

and i think i will get 3A's (AS Maths, Economics, Biology) 1B (Chemistry) and 1B (A2 Maths) really disappointed about a2 maths as i know i've really messed up in my mechanics module and think it might bring me down to a B. but i plan to resit and bring maths up to an a*

thanks

With those sorts of predicted grades, and in 5 A2 subjects, I think any university would be stupid NOT to take you on... :biggrin:

Even if you end up missing the grades that a uni wants by one or two, if you get in early and make it clear you're studying an extra subject then they'll almost certainly make you an offer :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Alexion
With those sorts of predicted grades, and in 5 A2 subjects, I think any university would be stupid NOT to take you on... :biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

do you reckon that unis care more about predicted grades rather than AS levels then?
Original post by JamesFAD
By all means try it but I think you'd be in a tough crowd honestly, for straight Economics those unis tend to ask for UMS scores and check if you're above 90 on everything if not almost everything. QM is by no means bad though :smile: Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Okay, I will definitely try out UCL but yeah i admit it's a tough crowd and most likely will probably end up with Queen Mary, which I am perfectly fine with :smile:

What is Queen Mary's reputation like amongst London employers?
Okay, I will definitely try out UCL but yeah i admit it's a tough crowd and most likely will probably end up with Queen Mary, which I am perfectly fine with :smile:

What is Queen Mary's reputation like amongst London employers?

It is not as good as UCL/LSE of course, but they care much more about any work experience that you may have than just what uni you went to. They also like you to do well - so a 1st at QM wouldnt put you too far behind someone with a 2-1 at LSE/UCL
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

do you reckon that unis care more about predicted grades rather than AS levels then?

They may care more about them in the sense that you can get in with high predictions despite bad AS levels - but remember you actually have to get your grades in order to meet the offer they give you - an offer on its own is not worth anything if you can't meet it.

+ Wow you're doing a lot of subjects... I would question why you are doing that many in the first place mate its really gonna make it harder for yourself - 4 is really more than enough... Regardless the ones that you'll need to do well in are Maths and Economics, the others won't count for so much.

Bare in mind though that the more subjects you do the more grades they can put in your offer. E.g. The "Standard Offer" might be A*AA but doing five subjects could just mean you get an A*AABB offer (or higher!)
Original post by BreakTheIce
It is not as good as UCL/LSE of course, but they care much more about any work experience that you may have than just what uni you went to. They also like you to do well - so a 1st at QM wouldnt put you too far behind someone with a 2-1 at LSE/UCL

But it's not regarded as a bad university right? Like I don't want employers just to see the name Queen Mary and be put off:frown:

How far behind is Queen Mary from the level of UCL/LSE?
They may care more about them in the sense that you can get in with high predictions despite bad AS levels - but remember you actually have to get your grades in order to meet the offer they give you - an offer on its own is not worth anything if you can't meet it.

+ Wow you're doing a lot of subjects... I would question why you are doing that many in the first place mate its really gonna make it harder for yourself - 4 is really more than enough... Regardless the ones that you'll need to do well in are Maths and Economics, the others won't count for so much.

Bare in mind though that the more subjects you do the more grades they can put in your offer. E.g. The "Standard Offer" might be A*AA but doing five subjects could just mean you get an A*AABB offer (or higher!)

yeah no i definitely intend to drop either bio/chem but it will depend which one i do worse in (likely to be chem) but was just stating that my chem teacher had predicted me an A at a2 anyway
But it's not regarded as a bad university right? Like I don't want employers just to see the name Queen Mary and be put off:frown:

How far behind is Queen Mary from the level of UCL/LSE?
Not that far man you don't need to worry about that really. You're not gonna be turned away for interviews because you didn't go to UCL/LSE :PIts certainly the 3rd best for economics in London, is London the only place you want to study?
Not that far man you don't need to worry about that really. You're not gonna be turned away for interviews because you didn't go to UCL/LSE :PIts certainly the 3rd best for economics in London, is London the only place you want to study?

Thanks, if I got into QM i would certainly work hard for the 1st as you said above.

And yeah, I live in London atm and I don't move out for various reasons but that decision could change in the future but not likely.

Staying in London does limit me in terms of uni choices but I think I will stay in London for the rest of my life so I would need QM to have a good rep with London employers :tongue:
Reply 15

thanks

Hey don't worry. I got 6A*s 3As 1B at GCSE and i got 2As 2Bs at AS Level while getting just an A at A2 Maths (early). I still got an offer from UCL to do straight Econ, although
I had to resit Maths A2.
I am doing Maths Chem Physics this year at AS, I think I will get a strong A in chemistry, borderline A in maths (slipped up in m1 but i'm good at maths, will go for an A* next year), and like a mid B in physics. I'm planning to drop physics and fast track economics a level next year. My gcse's were 5A*'s and 5A's.

My teachers have said they will predict me an A* in maths and chem and an A for the fast track economics (this prediction is based on a variety of factors during my school life).

I am not able to take further maths even up to an AS because of timetabling and the fact that i am fast tracking economics.

I will try and write a very good personal statement and will use the fast track economics to show that enthusiasm for the course. But do I not have a chance at LSE/UCL because of the lack of FM?

I want to apply to LSE, UCL and QM (insurance) for economics, can't apply anywhere else as i need to stay in london. If get rejected by UCL/LSE, ill probably just look into Chemistry at Imperial :tongue:

Several points:

Not sure why you'd prefer UCL over LSE. From a purely academic POV, LSE > UCL no doubt, but other factors you may have considered

Dont know if your GCSE/AS profile is strong enough for straight economics at LSE tbh. I think they look at UMS scores to differentiate between students, so v unlikely that you'll be successful there

I'm sure there's other unis in london that offer economics e.g. kings, birkbeck, city etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17

LSE on current trends will almost certainly reject you which is not a bad thing ...
UCL, UCL, and UCL any day....
Reply 18
I just sat AS levels in Art, History, Politics and Spanish. If all goes to plan, I have got 3 As and either a B or C in the Spanish. However I'm planning to to drop Spanish next year and continue with the other 3.
I also got 5 A*s and 5 As at GCSE.

I was just wondering if these grades would be good enough to get into either UCL, KCL or Durham to study Law?
I will have really good work experience for law, and hopefully my personal statement will be good too.

Also just wondering if it is a good idea to continue Art instead of Spanish? I'm guaranteed at least an A in Art which is why I want to continue with it, but I'm not so confident in Spanish. But do these universities not regard Art as a subject?
Original post by Mike_123
x

Yeah LSE are better for economics but I like the UCL as a university a bit more. My gcse profile is 5A*'s 5A's, with the A*'s in maths, three sciences, and history. (Not sure if the gcse subjects matter too much though?)

As for AS results, i think i should get AAAB or AABB, so maybe LSE would reject me. What about ucl though?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending