The Student Room Group

Is a Distinction classed as an A?

In the title really...

Basically I'm concerned as to whether universities will consider a distinction grade in BTEC/CTEC course as an A or B or even C since I know coursework oriented qualifications are generally regarded as being 'lesser' when compared to exam subjects?

So say a uni wanted ABB and I got Distinction/B/B would I still get in or not? This isn't taking into account the fact they can still let you in if you're a grade or two below btw.

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the uni. In theory Distinction = A, but some unis will consider a D* to be an A instead.
In my uni, you can get a Distinction if you get 70% or above, which is usually equivalent to an A, so I assume your grades will be ok. You could always phone up your chosen unis to ask whether they would take your Distinction as the equivalent of an A grade :smile:
Reply 3
A distiction BTEC is the equivalent to a C
Seeing some mixed responses here, I would ask the uni (going for Lancaster btw) but I'm afraid I might be too late in asking and just seem like an idiot for not asking earlier :/
(edited 8 years ago)
It is worth the same amount of ucas points but imo it shouldn't be

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yt7777
D* = A*
D = A
M = C
P = E

Yes iy will be considered the same and if they accept your qualification your offer (if they make you one) will be allugnedto the equivalent A level grades

Hope this help :smile:

Okay the general consensus seems to be right now that Distinction = A which is good enough for me (despite the small sample size), thanks for all the help everyone!
Reply 7
You can't possibly compare BTEC's and A levels, end of story.
Original post by frances98
It is worth the same amount of ucas points but imo it shouldn't be

Posted from TSR Mobile

After having done only one BTEC throughout my schooling (in business studies) I'd say that it's both easier and harder than A Levels at the same time.. It's weird but I think the thing that makes BTEC easier is that you're not restricted with time but you are required to do A LOT of homework at the best of times.

I'm not really sure on where I stand on BTECs being lesser tbh but the amount of effort some students put into them should not be discounted.
Original post by Dean Riding
In the title really...

Basically I'm concerned as to whether universities will consider a distinction grade in BTEC/CTEC course as an A or B or even C since I know coursework oriented qualifications are generally regarded as being 'lesser' when compared to exam subjects?

So say a uni wanted ABB and I got Distinction/B/B would I still get in or not? This isn't taking into account the fact they can still let you in if you're a grade or two below btw.
Im sure it is the same as long as your doing a level 3 btec. So a distinction should be equivalent to a grade A. What btec are you doing? :smile:
Reply 10
D* = A*
D = A
M = C
P = E
BTECs arent lesser qualifications, they are an exact equivalent and are viewed as such by most (95%) of UK unis

If they accept your qualification then your offer will be alligned to the equivalent A level grades that they require
Original post by nadzworldz
Im sure it is the same as long as your doing a level 3 btec. So a distinction should be equivalent to a grade A. What btec are you doing? :smile:

I'm doing (or was doing) a Cambridge Technical in Business Studies. I'm not sure what the actual difference in qualification is but they're structured in very much the same way as a BTEC. I think there are variants where you can do slightly more units and get extra UCAS points.
For the AAB course I applied to, the Distinsction* was accepted for one of the A grades.
I'm doing (or was doing) a Cambridge Technical in Business Studies. I'm not sure what the actual difference in qualification is but they're structured in very much the same way as a BTEC. I think there are variants where you can do slightly more units and get extra UCAS points.
Oh ok cool. They are different types of btecs I did a dimploma which was worth 2 A-level grades wheras a certificate would be worth one A-level (which is where study less units). If that makes any sense.:biggrin:
Original post by yt7777
D* = A*
D = A
M = C
P = E
BTECs arent lesser qualifications, they are an exact equivalent and are viewed as such by most (95%) of UK unis

If they accept your qualification then your offer will be alligned to the equivalent A level grades that they require

lol ok mate:h:
In the title really...

If your offer conditions state ABB but you're doing a BTEC then call your university asap to explain you cannot meet your conditions.

If you haven't applied yet then ring them up and ask. Only they can tell you with authority what grade they would require from your qualifications.
Officially a Distinction is classified as an A grade.
Some universities may lean towards A level students but with you having a mixture of both BTEC and A level you should be fine. (I did the same 1Btec and 2 A levels).

What course you looking to apply for?

Also refer to this site to for your specific BTEC qualification:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables/1066

You will be fine.
Original post by Kash24411
Officially a Distinction is classified as an A grade.
Some universities may lean towards A level students but with you having a mixture of both BTEC and A level you should be fine. (I did the same 1Btec and 2 A levels).

What course you looking to apply for?

Also refer to this site to for your specific BTEC qualification:
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables/1066

You will be fine.

I'm applying for History at Lancaster :smile: I wasn't even predicted an A in History even though they asked for AAB so i think they're being more lenient with the people they let in this year since they don't have a maximum quota anymore
I'm applying for History at Lancaster :smile: I wasn't even predicted an A in History even though they asked for AAB so i think they're being more lenient with the people they let in this year since they don't have a maximum quota anymore

Correct me if im wrong but you already have an offer from Lancaster which is AAB?

If that's the case then there's something wrong as the offer should be - Distinction for your BTEC(specified by the university) and AB in your A level subjects.
Original post by Kash24411
Correct me if im wrong but you already have an offer from Lancaster which is AAB?

If that's the case then there's something wrong as the offer should be - Distinction for your BTEC(specified by the university) and AB in your A level subjects.

Hmm, not really too sure then but none of my teachers have questioned it thus far... Starting to get a little paranoid now

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending