A2 Classical Civilisation Unit 3D Augustus Watch

georgeputput
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How's everyone been revising for this because from what i've seen I'm the only one sitting this unit and I feel like i'm getting nowhere, so any revision notes would be much appreciated.
ekmad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing this unit too (much better than Greek tragedy) as for revision notes it's hard to say because of the way I revise. In regards to this I take some prominent quotes from Suetonius and Res Gestae and revise around them. Not quite sure what will come up, I'd say I'm more proficient in the early period up to the second settlement in 23BC though. Augustus' family might be a decent one though
JCalexander
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What did you guys think of the paper? I thought it was great!
ekmad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It was indeed a nice easy paper. Especially the "greatness of Augustus" 40 marker, what a broad field that covered. Marks everywhere. Farming wasn't too difficult either. Don't think I got enough quotes in though
JCalexander
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I decided to do the other 40 marker about foreign policy.

The 20 marker for the monuments section A was fantastic. However, the ten marker about How important it was to restore temples wasn't great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rosie42brown
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think the 40 was far too vague.. many large books written on Augustus as an emperor, yet aqa - of course - see it as a fit question to answer in just over 40 minutes. The paper was weird and I am unsure how to feel
ekmad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Rosie42brown)
I think the 40 was far too vague.. many large books written on Augustus as an emperor, yet aqa - of course - see it as a fit question to answer in just over 40 minutes. The paper was weird and I am unsure how to feel
I felt this way but I think AQA simply made it easier for us. There is no way the can pull a fast one with the mark scheme, especially on the "greatness". I even gave a paragraph at the outset as to what "greatness" actually is before going through everything.
MollyGM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Guys,

for the 40 mark on great emperor - I only wrote about how great he was and nothing about how he wasn't great. My argument was basically that it's irrefutable that he deserves this reputation because of how he gained power, kept power but above all his genuine concern for Rome and its citizens. But now I can think of loads of reasons why he wasn't. I had well-supported ideas but no balance.

Will I get penalised for not writing a balanced argument? If so by how much?

I'm so upset bc I worked so hard for this exam and to lose my predicted A because of simple essay writing is awful
georgeputput
Rep:
?
(Original post by MollyGM)
Hi Guys,

for the 40 mark on great emperor - I only wrote about how great he was and nothing about how he wasn't great. My argument was basically that it's irrefutable that he deserves this reputation because of how he gained power, kept power but above all his genuine concern for Rome and its citizens. But now I can think of loads of reasons why he wasn't. I had well-supported ideas but no balance.

Will I get penalised for not writing a balanced argument? If so by how much?

I'm so upset bc I worked so hard for this exam and to lose my predicted A because of simple essay writing is awful
I doubt you'll be penalised as it didn't appear to want a debate as such, the only arguments against was that he never actually took the title of 'rex' or emperor to an extent, and that when waging war, was not defensive but falsified threats to the empire and complete pacification of his enemies but other than that i struggled on the section A picture questions, which wasn't helped by the poor quality of the photo in my opinion
georgeputput
Rep:
?
(Original post by georgeputput)
I doubt you'll be penalised as it didn't appear to want a debate as such, the only arguments against was that he never actually took the title of 'rex' or emperor to an extent, and that when waging war, was not defensive but falsified threats to the empire and complete pacification of his enemies but other than that i struggled on the section A picture questions, which wasn't helped by the poor quality of the photo in my opinion
*those were the only arguments i could really think of
MollyGM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by georgeputput)
*those were the only arguments i could really think of
The arguments against I would have used would have been Suetonius' description of his brutality and his relationship with family. A definition of greatness would have been good but I didn't do that either :/

I thought I knew his Forum really well but didn't recognise the picture at all! I put that it was the head of Mars with Caryatids (bc of Mars the Avenger) but I looked in my notes and apparently it was Jupiter :/
georgeputput
Rep:
?
(Original post by MollyGM)
The arguments against I would have used would have been Suetonius' description of his brutality and his relationship with family. A definition of greatness would have been good but I didn't do that either :/

I thought I knew his Forum really well but didn't recognise the picture at all! I put that it was the head of Mars with Caryatids (bc of Mars the Avenger) but I looked in my notes and apparently it was Jupiter :/
i genuinely held the paper up to the light to try and see if i was missing something, and i put it was Julius Caesar as a last minute guess due to the timing of its building
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Life Sciences; Department of Psychology Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19
  • St George's, University of London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Feb '19

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (229)
59.95%
No (153)
40.05%

Watched Threads