Subject Choice for S6, Advanced Highers needed? Watch

ScottWM98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello all, I want to study Electrical & Mechanical/ Electrical Energy Systems/ Electrical and Electronic engineering at Strathclyde University. Subject choosing is ongoing for S6, and I have literally no idea how to get to where I want to be which is causing loads of stress

If anyone can help me understand requirements for the mentioned courses (I would like to do Masters) then please please please do so! Mainly, do I need any Advanced Highers, i get told i will need to do Advanced maths by some to be able to cope with Uni and to even just get in I will need it! I currently have only picked one advanced higher and that is Advanced Higher Physics, do I need to do advanced maths over it/ as well as it to get in to the mentioned courses/ survive in them? Please help, I really am stressed, my school literally gives NO help to this stuff and makes you research in to this yourself and differing sources causes panic, stress and just sheer anxiety. Thank you all
ScottWM98
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Bump
greenladybird
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not studying this particular course but I will be starting a degree in Biomedical Engineering at Strathclyde in September. For my course it is stated that Advanced Highers in Physics + Maths are recommended. I see that nothing like this appears for EME/EEE. There will be people who have not done advanced higher, and this doesn't mean they won't be able to deal with the maths involved in the course. It will be likely to help you in first year to have covered the basics, as long as you get the grades this year in your highers you should hopefully get an unconditional. You could completely fail the exam and it wouldn't affect your offer - you're in! It might help the university to make a decision, as they will be able to see you're interested in what you'll be studying. I don't think you need to do maths, but it will definitely help you at first. Also, if you are not doing maths for a whole year you may find it hard at first to remember some of the concepts.
Have you considered emailing/phoning the admissions team in these departments? They'll be able to advise you much better than anyone on TSR could.
munchen102
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You will need AH maths indefinately. I'm sure it will be re-taught but always good to be ahead of the game. At my Uni first year was a common year where everyone studied the same. Tbh, most of the stuff I learned was all from lectures and the exams based solely on this. I done H & AH physics and not much of it was used in the electrical side, just need to know roughly what everything was but it'll get taught. In all honesty, H computing was probably used a lot in digital electronics.

Main point: don't worry about it. Maths is the main thing you will need.

Posted from TSR Mobile
PineapplePol
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing Mech Eng at Strathy. I did AH maths physics and technological studies. I recommend AH maths and physics. Some places like the extra maths AH ? applied maths the mechanics modules but not all schools offer it. Tech was great because it has a lot of electronics in it and it's really helped me with the electronics in first year. Computing higher is useful. Depends what highers you did really.
English unis want 3 AHs, maths physics and something else and prefer more maths but that's for mech eng E eng may be different. The uni websites usually say. I spent a lot of time reading websites and emailing admissions tutors and going to open days.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of West London
    Postgraduate Open Day - Ealing Site Postgraduate
    Thu, 20 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Bath
    Find out about life at the University and discover our diverse range of Undergraduate courses. Our course areas include the Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences, Engineering & Design, and Management. Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (49)
28.99%
The paper was reasonable (86)
50.89%
Not feeling great about that exam... (17)
10.06%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
10.06%

Watched Threads