How can Japanese centres sit edexcel maths before uk

Watch
Damien_Dalgaard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
When Japanese is +6GMT or something like that.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The Japanese time zone is GMT+9 so they're 9 hours ahead of us (not 9 hours behind us). For instance if it's midnight here, it's 9AM there. So yes, I would assume they would sit their exams before us.
Damien_Dalgaard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The Japanese time zone is GMT+9 so they're 9 hours ahead of us (not 9 hours behind us). For instance if it's midnight here, it's 9AM there. So yes, I would assume they would sit their exams before us.
Thanks for the clarity.

So why are all the whiny gits complaining about edexcel letting internationals sit the papers first.

Wouldn't the americas be the only ones who have it after uk.
IIEquinoxII
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Damien_Dalgaard)
Thanks for the clarity.

So why are all the whiny gits complaining about edexcel letting internationals sit the papers first.

maybe people living in british colonies such as the falkland isles etc
Damien_Dalgaard
Rep:
?
(Original post by IIEquinoxII)
maybe people living in british colonies such as the falkland isles etc
oh yeah fair enough.
IIEquinoxII
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh yeah fair enough.
I dont get why everybody is getting worked up over edexcel, there's been educational reforms recently and the exams got harder as a result, there was never anything in the exams which you shouldn't have already known
Damien_Dalgaard
Rep:
?
(Original post by IIEquinoxII)
I dont get why everybody is getting worked up over edexcel, there's been educational reforms recently and the exams got harder as a result, there was never anything in the exams which you shouldn't have already known
In one way though it seems that if they had taken it early they would have got easier papers as a result.

They keep combining different areas in their questions though.

I thought the papers were made 2 years in advance, so is it just coincidental that they are getting harder,

Edexcel are trying to overtake cie in exam difficulty imo
IIEquinoxII
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In one way though it seems that if they had taken it early they would have got easier papers as a result.

They keep combining different areas in their questions though.

I thought the papers were made 2 years in advance, so is it just coincidental that they are getting harder,

Edexcel are trying to overtake cie in exam difficulty imo
The reforms were announced 2 years ago aha, but i agree that the structure of the exams is changing, which imo is a good thing, it forces people to apply knowledge to unfamiliar situations which is a very important skill
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the clarity.

As far as I'm aware, different time zones get different papers?
Damien_Dalgaard
Rep:
?
As far as I'm aware, different time zones get different papers?
not according to that gcse maths thread.
thymolphthalein
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
not according to that gcse maths thread.
Well, for the A levels starting from 2014 IAL papers were introduced and the questions are different from the GCE papers. I'm an international student and I do the IALs.

And as far as I know, all IALs are done at the same time, in different time zones.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thymolphthalein)
Well, for the A levels starting from 2014 IAL papers were introduced and the questions are different from the GCE papers. I'm an international student and I do the IALs.

And as far as I know, all IALs are done at the same time, in different time zones.
Do you have any idea why the IAL papers are way harder than the normal papers? I've been using them for revision and they're like a whole other level...
thymolphthalein
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you have any idea why the IAL papers are way harder than the normal papers? I've been using them for revision and they're like a whole other level...
...I guess I must be used to it?

I don't find them significantly more difficult, and the specifications are pretty much the same except we do alternative to practical papers instead of the actual experiments. (We do have lab classes with partners/in groups, but there isn't enough equipment to conduct exams separately for each student, I guess.)

And as much as I hate our school management, most of the teachers are pretty great and we get excellent notes usually.

The only subject I find more difficult in a way is Mathematics, only because the Core Modules are joint papers examined as C12 and C34.
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by thymolphthalein)
...I guess I must be used to it?

I don't find them significantly more difficult, and the specifications are pretty much the same except we do alternative to practical papers instead of the actual experiments. (We do have lab classes with partners/in groups, but there isn't enough equipment to conduct exams separately for each student, I guess.)

And as much as I hate our school management, most of the teachers are pretty great and we get excellent notes usually.

The only subject I find more difficult in a way is Mathematics, only because the Core Modules are joint papers examined as C12 and C34.
The only IAL papers I've seen are Mathematics, I don't know about the sciences. All of the M2, M3, FP2 and FP3 IAL papers I've seen are sooo much harder than the normal papers.
thymolphthalein
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The only IAL papers I've seen are Mathematics, I don't know about the sciences. All of the M2, M3, FP2 and FP3 IAL papers I've seen are sooo much harder than the normal papers.
I only do Core Maths with Mechanics modules but I have friends doing Further Maths and they never said it was more difficult either. I guess I've never really compared the papers much either since there's only about 3 IAL papers for each subject.

Well, at least it's all good practice for you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (65)
12.15%
Virtual campus tours/open days (130)
24.3%
Live streaming events (46)
8.6%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.72%
A uni comparison tool (124)
23.18%
An in-person event when available (118)
22.06%