The Student Room Group

AQA A2 ENGB3 English Language June 19th

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dottielottie
Has anyone done any mocks on dictionary extracts?

Also, when was the last time a speaking piece appeared for language change on an exam?

Yes! I did the OED extract paper, which I got 39 in (so a solid A). I don't have it on me at the moment. but if you want me to send you a copy (assuming I can find it!) then I'm more than happy to :smile:
Original post by Clo.3
My CLA teacher has been absolutely appalling.. Not turning up up to lessons, not leaving any work for us, skipping bits of the course out!! I'm so scared for this exam, I've already had two this is my last one and I feel so unprepared any suggestions on how to revise specific or important CLA points in a week??😪

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Revision:Language_change_and_language_acquisition

I've been using this as an overview. For the child spoken language, try to learn some key theorists, revise your grammar, and learn both the place and manner of articulation for sounds. Those are the basics, and should be enough for a quick fire tour of the topic! Good luck!

EDIT: the most important theorists I'd say, are Skinner, Chomsky, Bruner, Aitchison and Berko and Brown. If you can learn those theorists you should have more than enough :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by heatherjaynee
Just had a look through your language change one, thanks again, it's helpful!
I didn't study technology last year though, we only did power and gender - are there any theories you know which might be useful for A2? Not many, there's enough to learn but maybe 3 significant ones?

Thanks

I haven't used many theories from technology at AS on the language change questions. I just talk about how technological advances at the end of the 20th century (such as the internet and text messaging) have caused language to become more informal. (e.g. Using number homophones such as 2 instead of two & abbreviations when texting or emailing) You could then link this to prescriptive attitudes about language (AO2) and the fact that some linguists feel strongly about using 'proper' and 'correct' language all the time, as opposed to informal language which we use when texting or emailing. By linking it to prescriptive/descriptive attitudes about language you are likely to get more marks I think. I don't know too many technology theories or theorists from AS off the top of my head but Howard Giles' Accomodation theory is be useful to show that our language is shaped by who we're texting/talking/writing to. Hope this helps!
Can someone tell me what a 'diphthong' is please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by notcoolnerd
Yes! I did the OED extract paper, which I got 39 in (so a solid A). I don't have it on me at the moment. but if you want me to send you a copy (assuming I can find it!) then I'm more than happy to :smile:

wow that's a brilliant mark, well done, I'd love to have a look at it, thanks :smile:
Original post by cmccann95
I haven't used many theories from technology at AS on the language change questions. I just talk about how technological advances at the end of the 20th century (such as the internet and text messaging) have caused language to become more informal. (e.g. Using number homophones such as 2 instead of two & abbreviations when texting or emailing) You could then link this to prescriptive attitudes about language (AO2) and the fact that some linguists feel strongly about using 'proper' and 'correct' language all the time, as opposed to informal language which we use when texting or emailing. By linking it to prescriptive/descriptive attitudes about language you are likely to get more marks I think. I don't know too many technology theories or theorists from AS off the top of my head but Howard Giles' Accomodation theory is be useful to show that our language is shaped by who we're texting/talking/writing to. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help! :smile:
Original post by dottielottie
wow that's a brilliant mark, well done, I'd love to have a look at it, thanks :smile:

I'll try and get it to you by the end of saturday! If I can't find it (but pretty sure I will) then I'll pm you with some ideas I had :smile:
I'll try and get it to you by the end of saturday! If I can't find it (but pretty sure I will) then I'll pm you with some ideas I had :smile:

Would you be able to PM with the ideas too? We haven't been taught how to approach dictionary essays in class... I'll probably avoid it if it come up, but just in case you know haha
Anything I can help with in return?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 48

Would you mind sending it to me too if it's not much trouble? :smile:
I'm trying to consolidate the things I've learnt in class before I do any more past papers but my productivity levels really are slacking. Any tips on how to revise for English? The way I revised for my other subjects just isn't working for this.
Original post by jackhaugh
I'm trying to consolidate the things I've learnt in class before I do any more past papers but my productivity levels really are slacking. Any tips on how to revise for English? The way I revised for my other subjects just isn't working for this.

I'm finding it hard to revise as well. I've read over my class notes but I think trying to write past papers using the mark schemes might be more useful. I also plan on looking over as many essays as possible to familiarise myself with the different theories and language techniques. Writing out notes on the key theories and concepts for each topic might be helpful. I think I've underestimated this a bit but hopefully it'll go well on the day.
Original post by cmccann95
I'm finding it hard to revise as well. I've read over my class notes but I think trying to write past papers using the mark schemes might be more useful. I also plan on looking over as many essays as possible to familiarise myself with the different theories and language techniques. Writing out notes on the key theories and concepts for each topic might be helpful. I think I've underestimated this a bit but hopefully it'll go well on the day.

Haha I'm the same, I've concentrated so much more on my other subjects and now I'm cramming for English
Reply 52
Original post by jackhaugh

My teachers gave us booklets on the topics on language acquisition so I make powerpoints on theorists and research and stuff. I can attach a few if you like? I'm finding it really hard to revise language change though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey fellas! l. I think the key to a good grade is to just throw in everything you can but making sure it's relevant. Start with a generic statement as then you're not too limited to what you can say. I'd take about 15/20 minutes to plan for both answers and spend 20 minutes on Lexis + Semantics, 20 minutes on Grammar, and the rest on whatever else there is to say (e.g. phonology for CLA and orthography for change). I'm happy to attach an A grade essay I wrote if anybody needs it, I hope to go on and study English Language as uni so if anybody needs help PM me and I'll be happy to help!
Reply 54
does anybody have a simple list of all the key theories and attitudes we need to know for this language exam?
Thanks in advance, would be a great help
Original post by OB97
does anybody have a simple list of all the key theories and attitudes we need to know for this language exam?
Thanks in advance, would be a great help

I replied to a post earlier on with a hyperlink attached. If you click the hyperlink, it gives you your key child spoken language theorists, and further on has some language change people. Hope that helps :smile:
Original post by m0lly
My teachers gave us booklets on the topics on language acquisition so I make powerpoints on theorists and research and stuff. I can attach a few if you like? I'm finding it really hard to revise language change though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that'd be really good thanks! For language change you'd be able to get away with knowing key dates like Lowth, Johnson etc and know key changes in attitudes and movements like prescriptivism, the church and science's influences and things, you can basically replace language acquisition's theories with language change's context
Reply 57
I replied to a post earlier on with a hyperlink attached. If you click the hyperlink, it gives you your key child spoken language theorists, and further on has some language change people. Hope that helps :smile:

please could you send me a link to this, I can't seem to find it, thank you.
Original post by OB97
please could you send me a link to this, I can't seem to find it, thank you.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Revision:Language_change_and_language_acquisition

It doesn't give you everything, but as a basic lost its a good starting point :smile:
How are people going about structuring their essays??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending