'The police video that shocked America' Watch

yelllowribbon
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A video of a black teenage girl being dragged to the ground by a white police officer is being widely shared online, and has become the latest talking point in the debate over police and race relations in America.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-33048176

What do you guys think?
cokeed
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yelllowribbon)
A video of a black teenage girl being dragged to the ground by a white police officer is being widely shared online, and has become the latest talking point in the debate over police and race relations in America.

What do you guys think?
Its horrific but nothing surprises me anymore. I feel sorry for black Americans, i couldn't imagine being scared of people who are supposed to protect me. And they are pointing guns towards you kids which is sickening but not at all suprising.
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is anyone else not shocked at all?
yelllowribbon
Rep:
?
(Original post by futbol)
Is anyone else not shocked at all?
I know what you mean, the Eric Garner video was kinda the last straw for me...
username1331498
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cokeed)
Its horrific but nothing surprises me anymore. I feel sorry for black Americans, i couldn't imagine being scared of people who are supposed to protect me. And they are pointing guns towards you kids which is sickening but not at all suprising.
This police officer pointed his gun towards two men who were approaching him, and he reasonably assumed that they were a threat which is why he brought his gun out, not because they were black.
Momoney
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why is he putting his knee on a 14 year old girl what could she do
thecatwithnohat
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
As sad and shocking as it is the watch, it's not surprising - especially in Texas.
username1331498
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Momoney)
why is he putting his knee on a 14 year old girl what could she do
He most likely had his knee on her to ensure she wouldn't leave the area, as she already had a tendency to resist the officer, in saying that, he did use an excessive amount of force.
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hearing about the police killing african americans in the US is about as newsworthy as terrorist attacks in the Middle East now.

Not surprised and with each story I care even less.

(not that I am anti-police, many of the shootings i heard i agreed with, especially the ferguson thug)
PrincePaul255555
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yelllowribbon)

What do you guys think?
This cop played a big role in escalating matters to a life and death situation within a matter of minutes. He was the worst behaved of anyone on the scene.
Whatever they're responding to, it doesn't justify the lunatic behavior that cop is exhibiting. Some of the police there seem to be cooly taking to the kids, but one or two completely lost their ****.

It's asinine that he restrained her at all (what's the charge, contempt of cop?). It's callous disregard of the health and safety of a child to put your entire body weight on her with your knees. It honestly shouldn't even take him both hands to restrain someone that size.

O sorry I forgot. She's black. She has super human negro strength in the cops mind.

And I don't for a second believe he would have acted the same way if the kids had been white. He belongs in jail, not on the unemployment line.

One can only imagine what the white caller said to the police on dispatch to get them so hyped up like that.
capitalismstinks
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well, in case anyone hasn't noticed, the media scans the horizon for this sort of video. Videos of police brutality are always posted up online but never make mainstream news. They only make mainstream news when certain criteria are met.

The criteria is simple: it has to be a white ( or at least whitish/hispanic looking) cop and black person in custody.

If it fails to meet this criteria then police brutality does not not make the mainstream news. The media, and those who are shocked by this video, really do not care about police brutality which is why they ignore 95% of police brutality.

"WHITE COP who did so and so to BLACK PERSON" is basically how the Daily Mail covers every one of these events. Context does not matter. Facts of case do not matter.

Its basically illegal to incite hatred like this but they get away with it because there is bigger agenda at play.

This summer will see massive riots in the US and these will exist because the media has started them.

Its called divide and conquer. Those doing the dividing are the ones in charge of media. They want to keep power.
Déscartés
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by EatAndRevise)
This police officer pointed his gun towards two men who were approaching him, and he reasonably assumed that they were a threat which is why he brought his gun out, not because they were black.
Not sure why you're defending him but they were teenagers at a birthday party. What threat could they pose that he needed to pull out his gun. And on your other point, he told the other girls to leave, he could have told her to leave. Putting the weight of a grown man on a teenage girl is completely unacceptable. The situation only escalated because they were black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1331498
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Déscartés)
Not sure why you're defending him but they were teenagers at a birthday party. What threat could they pose that he needed to pull out his gun.
Apart from the fact that there were two men approaching him in an aggressive manner?

And on your other point, he told the other girls to leave, he could have told her to leave.
He did tell her to leave. Please watch the video.

. Putting the weight of a grown man on a teenage girl is completely unacceptable.
Which is why I said that he used an excessive amount of force.

The situation only escalated because they were black.
No it didn't.
yelllowribbon
Rep:
?
And imo wouldn't really call them men...
Déscartés
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Apart from the fact that there were two men approaching him in an aggressive manner?

He did tell her to leave. Please watch the video.

Which is why I said that he used an excessive amount of force.

No it didn't.
Once again, they are teenagers. She wasn't part of the group he told to leave, he grabbed her and assaulted her. And yes it did. I doubt police would have been called had it been white kids and I highly doubt the officers would have proceeded to swear, handcuff and assault them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
viddy9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Whether or not this was a racist incident, the police officer in question clearly had a violent emotional reaction to the situation and used excessive force. He should be sacked. There was no justification for his violent handling of the girl. and he could see that the two kids who came up behind him were backing off even before he'd fully removed his gun from its holster.

And, at the start of the video, it looks as if the same police officer does a pathetic and unnecessary action roll metres away from the actual scene, further indicating that he was being far too dramatic and emotional.

Communities shouldn't have to fear police officers who use excessive force, and they shouldn't have to fear police officers who kill unarmed people.

The US justice system, overall, is discriminatory against blacks and the US government needs to address this human rights flaw.
username1331498
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Once again, they are teenagers.
So because they were teenagers, there wasn't a threat?

She wasn't part of the group he told to leave, he grabbed her and assaulted her.
Yes she was, please watch the video again:

Skip to 2:22 and watch until 3:00.

I doubt police would have been called had it been white kids and I highly doubt the officers would have proceeded to swear, handcuff and assault them.
The police were responding to reports of a fight breaking out, race was irrelevent.

You can doubt all you want, but you have no idea what would have happened.
username1331498
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PrincePaul255555)
Two men ?

They were 13. But of course TSR's house KKK member like yourself is expected to say this.
You know they were 13, how? Also, do you believe that because they were teenagers that they didn't pose a threat?

Lol, keep trying. A racist bigot like yourself should resist accusing me of being a "KKK member". You keep coming back to TSR with your white-hatred, and you keep getting banned.
PrincePaul255555
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You know they were 13, how? Also, do you believe that because they were teenagers that they didn't pose a threat?

Lol, keep trying. A racist bigot like yourself should resist accusing me of being a "KKK member". You keep coming back to TSR with your white-hatred, and you keep getting banned.
Mr KKK. Just stop it. Your embarassing yourself. But I guess you have dug this hole. So your gonna stick it..

Funy thing is I'd have more respect for you if you just said "She was just a *****. **** her"

Instead of trying to hide behind code.
Daenerys...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PrincePaul255555)
Mr KKK. Just stop it. Your embarassing yourself. But I guess you have dug this hole. So your gonna stick it..

Funy thing is I'd have more respect for you if you just said "She was just a *****. **** her"

Instead of trying to hide behind code.
Don't even bother trying to debate with him he's obviously either trolling or a racist. The cops should be sacked and I'm glad to hear at least one was suspended. White male privilege makes me sick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (205)
62.12%
Yes- I don't like it (12)
3.64%
No- I want it (90)
27.27%
No- I don't want it (23)
6.97%

Watched Threads