The Student Room Group

Am I guaranteed a place in halls at my insurance uni?

I'm scared I won't meet my grades for my firm and my insurance doesn't allow for you to apply for accommodation if it's your insurance until your place has been confirmed. If I end up going to my insurance choice, am I guaranteed/likely to get a place in halls? Or am I more likely to get placed in university owned housing rather than big halls? I really really want to stay in halls so this is really worrying me. If it differs my uni, my insurance choice is Glasgow, I couldn't find the answer to this on their accommodation page.
I dont think unis have enough halls to gurantee accomodation to those that put it as their insurance i m afraid.
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
I'm scared I won't meet my grades for my firm and my insurance doesn't allow for you to apply for accommodation if it's your insurance until your place has been confirmed. If I end up going to my insurance choice, am I guaranteed/likely to get a place in halls? Or am I more likely to get placed in university owned housing rather than big halls? I really really want to stay in halls so this is really worrying me. If it differs my uni, my insurance choice is Glasgow, I couldn't find the answer to this on their accommodation page.

it does vary by uni- some guarentee halls for firm and insurance, others don't. Normally if a student doesn't get a place in halls they have to find a house to rent themselves. And on the Glasgow website under guarentee it says that the only guarentee to those who put it as their firm choice. http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/admissionspolicy/

However living in a shared house instead of halls isn't the end of the world, you still get the independence of being away from home and chances are you will be with freshers in the same boat.
Original post by jelly1000
it does vary by uni- some guarentee halls for firm and insurance, others don't. Normally if a student doesn't get a place in halls they have to find a house to rent themselves. And on the Glasgow website under guarentee it says that the only guarentee to those who put it as their firm choice. http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/accommodation/admissionspolicy/

However living in a shared house instead of halls isn't the end of the world, you still get the independence of being away from home and chances are you will be with freshers in the same boat.

I'm confused by if this section means that after it's determined that I'm going to Glasgow then I will be able to apply for halls the same as people's whose firm it was? Or does that mean if I change my mind and firm it before results day?

If you eventually decide to come to Glasgow, your study status will be updated to either Unconditional Firm or Conditional Firm and at that stage your student record will be imported into the accommodation system thereby allowing you to apply for accommodation. Please note that it can take up to 72 hours from the time that you firmly accept your offer of study before your record is imported into our accommodation system. Furthermore, you will not be allocated and offered accommodation until your study status becomes Unconditional Firm.

Quick Reply

Latest