stupid sayin! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    wot do ppl mean when they say ' a face that butter couldn't melt'
    some1 said it to me and ive heard the sayin but not sure lol

ReputationRep:
    No one's ever said that.

ReputationRep:
    as i know it, the saying is 'butter wouldn't melt in his/her mouth'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musiq)
    as i know it, the saying is 'butter wouldn't melt in his/her mouth'.
    yeah that's the one I know.

ReputationRep:
    When people say "You know something" it always makes me giggle, such a stupid saying

I've never heard that, but I don't like it when people say "I could care less." It doesn't make any sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    I've never heard that, but I don't like it when people say "I could care less." It doesn't make any sense.
    yes... couldn't and could are VERY different words!

ReputationRep:
    How about when people say "fat" chance and "slim" chance??? What's going on there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    How about when people say "fat" chance and "slim" chance??? What's going on there?
    stupid english language, there's loads of those: slow up/slow down, quite a lot/ quite a few
    must be hell for foreignors to learn, especially with our grammar rules:
    one goose, two geese
    one moose, two meese?!

ReputationRep:
    fat chance means its big chance. slim means not much chance. lol ppl use both tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rayban)
    fat chance means its big chance. slim means not much chance. lol ppl use both tho.
    No, both mean no or little chance

ReputationRep:
    How about when people say "quick minute" ??

ReputationRep:
    When people say "You know something" it always makes me giggle, such a stupid saying
    Gordon Ramsey says that every time he makes a statement.

ReputationRep:
    current overuse of the phrase 'to be fair..' REALLY annoys me :mad:

ReputationRep:
    what about mr bush's favourate: "make no mistake about it" :mad:

ReputationRep:
    [Q] From An AOL subscriber: “This is probably desperately simple but perhaps you could please tell me from where the phrase ‘butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth’ originates?”
    [A] It’s one of those sayings that are so old their origins are lost in the proverbial mists of time. It refers dismissively to somebody who appears gentle or innocent while typically being the opposite. A typical use was in William Makepeace Thackeray’s Pendennis: “When a visitor comes in, she smiles and languishes, you’d think that butter wouldn’t melt in her mouth: and the minute he is gone, very likely, she flares up like a little demon, and says things fit to send you wild”.
    It appeared in print first in John Palsgrove’s book about the French language, Lesclarcissement de la Langue Françoyse of 1530, but it’s more than likely he was borrowing a saying that was already proverbial.
    Since putting butter in one’s mouth, even in these technological times straight from the fridge, is certain to cause it to melt, the saying is not altogether easy to understand. It might be tied up with the idea of coolness, of a nonchalant ease that is unaffected by passion or emotion (a sense of cool that goes back at least a century before the first recorded appearance of the butter saying). If you are that coolly insouciant, the idea seems to be, butter really won’t melt in your mouth.
    While looking into the phrase, I found several examples that showed that people sometimes misunderstand it. For example, this appeared in the Independent newspaper on 28 September 2001: “ ‘You’d think butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth,’ said a neighbour. ‘It’s hard to imagine he would be involved with the things he has been accused of.’ ” The speaker thinks it refers to a sweet temperament, not the misleadingly demure appearance of a person who is a lot less harmless than he or she looks. There’s nothing new about this, since the same associations are in Thomas Chandler Haliburton’s Nature and Human Nature of 1855: “He looks so good, all the women that see him say, ‘Ain’t he a dear man?’ He is meekness itself. Butter wouldn’t melt in his mouth. He has no pride in him”.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    No, both mean no or little chance
    well that, if ur being sarcastic lol

ReputationRep:
    both mean little chance- like inflammable and flammable mean the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    oh my god, i know! does my head in!

if you could care less, then you care a bit, stupid fools! it's used mostly in america...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    wot do ppl mean when they say ' a face that butter couldn't melt'
    some1 said it to me and ive heard the sayin but not sure lol
    or it could be a face like melted butter...indicating ugly.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.