Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    P.S. Why the hell are you so mean about Bath?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    My school is a grammar school and sixth years can study AVCE ICT, Health and Social Care and Business Studies, and they are considering introducing AVCE Science.
    And isn't the world a better place for it?

While I'm not interested in doing them
    My point proven - you sound like a sensible person, seeing as you have nothing to do with this AVCE malarkey unlike BigMcFool who has three of the things.

they are very beneficial for people who like a more vocational emphasis on their education and prefer continuous assessment to exams.
    I love the euphemism, simply marvellous!

They are a perfectly respectable qualification to have.
    I'd rather have arts and humanities A-Levels, thankyou. Try persuading half the potential medics in my year to take up AVCE science and you would be blown out the water for all the laughter.

What's wrong with being a plumber anyway? Why do people have no respect for people like plumbers, builders and electricians?
    Now, this was the point where you started getting carried away. I have every respect for tradesmen.

These people make good money, are often their own boss, and are infinitely more use to society than advertising executives and middle-managers.
    Of course they are, what would the world be like without plumbers?
    You're getting a bit controversial though, middle managers are essential cogs of the system. A case could be argued for any job in an economic system being of use: from the refuse collector to the CEO. I fail to see what you are getting at.

ReputationRep:
    But not everyone wants, or has the necessary skills to be a doctor, so why not take AVCE science?

ReputationRep:
    But not everyone wants, or has the necessary skills to be a doctor, so why not take AVCE science?
    Try persuading half the potential medics in my year to take up AVCE science and you would be blown out the water for all the laughter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Try persuading half the potential medics in my year to take up AVCE science and you would be blown out the water for all the laughter.
    But AVCE Science is not designed for "potential medics". I'm not saying AVCE is for everyone. I'm just saying A levels aren't.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. Why the hell are you so mean about Bath?
    Ask BigMcFool, though he looks to have run for cover.

ReputationRep:
    But AVCE Science is not designed for "potential medics". I'm not saying AVCE is for everyone. I'm just saying A levels aren't.
    I would be hugely surprised if my school ever instituted such a qualification. The whole propostition of AVCE subjects looks rather unworkable in a small grammar school. If people want a vocational training, would it not be advisable to attend a City Technology College?

ReputationRep:
    This anti AVCE prejudice seems ridiculous to me. If gaining a vocational qualification is to be laughed at, should we also be ridiculing anyone studying for an MBA, or an LLM, or an accountant's qualification? The fact is, many people are unsuited to academic study. It is not to their advantage to study A-levels, as these develop skills they will rarely use in later life; AVCE, however, will be of use to them, as it will give them practical skills which will contribute directly to their later activities. It will also help society - irrespective of whether CEO's or plumbers are more important, there can be no doubt that we need both.

ReputationRep:
    I would be hugely surprised if my school ever instituted such a qualification. The whole propostition of AVCE subjects looks rather unworkable in a small grammar school. If people want a vocational training, would it not be advisable to attend a City Technology College?
    A lot of people in my school take it along with an A level.
    I'm also not suggesting that every grammar school must offer AVCE.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people in my school take it along with an A level.
    I'm also not suggesting that every grammar school must offer AVCE.
    Whatever floats your boat, I would be very surprised if my school ever offered such a qualification. In a large school which has the resources to simultaneously offer a broad spectrum of qualifications - fine, I have no problem with AVCE being offered. In a small, single-sex grammar school with limited teaching provision, quite simply, why bother with AVCE?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever floats your boat, I would be very surprised if my school ever offered such a qualification. In a large school which has the resources to simultaneously offer a broad spectrum of qualifications - fine, I have no problem with AVCE being offered. In a small, single-sex grammar school with limited teaching provision, quite simply, why bother with AVCE?
    My school is quite large, for here anyway, not sure about England, with over 1400 pupils, all girls, and around 410 in sixth form.

I think AVCE is a qualification with considerable merit - I don't see any reason to say, "Why bother", but your school is certainly under no obligation to offer it.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear - I fear for the viability of your small, single-sexed grammar school with limited teaching provision!

The new 14-19 curriculum emphasises the provision of both academic and vocational pathways.

Any school, such as you mention, that is so rigid in their provision for their students will be either amalgamated with a larger school or closed down.

There will be no room for such inflexibility in the 21st century classroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    You said that the less able do the foundation NVQ which is equivalent to 2 gcse's at D - G grades. Make up your mind whether it's 2 or 4 please. (Actually, I'm going to research that further as I am getting conflicting messages on this forum so it's best to make sure of these things rather than rely on hearsay).

What do you mean when you say the double awards in Tourism and Business (should that be Leisure) don't do half as much work as those doing ICT? Are you saying then that ICT is worth the 2 or 4 GCSE's in comparison?

Hours spent on a subject are not neccessarily indicative of the difficulty of the subject but rather the ability of the group studying the subject - as well as the timetabling difficulties that are presented to the individual schools. When you consider that some schools offer as many options as 20 subjects or more, you must see the logistics of timetabling problems. Or perhaps you don't because you have never considered the management problems that this entails.
    Oh please! Are you telling me to make my mind up? When you didn't have a clue what GNVQ entails.

I'm not that thick to say that Tourism only do half as much as work as the ICT. I said and mean they don't do half the work as what we did even though they get 2 GCSEs and we get 4.

The GNVQ was designed for schools, come on they are hardly going to make a course which should be ten hours worth for a school? No, I think not.

ReputationRep:
    This post is principally for the benefit of Bezza as there is some confusion about the 'worth' of GNVQ ICT for GCSE.

I have just visited the QCA website (overseeing body of exam boards) and they explain that Part 1 GNVQ in ICT has been superceded by GCSE in Applied ICT (Double award) from Sept. 2001. It is graded AA - GG available at level 1 (foundation) - in much the same way as tiered papers for other GCSE subjects - and level 2 (intermediate). But both are only equivalent to 2 GCSE's so I'm not sure where the stated 4 GCSE comparators came from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    I am not disputing that, but happysunshine, who has lived the GNVQ ICT experience (which neither you or me have) thinks it should be worth less.
    I have. As much as people can throw back in my face that it's what the teacher thinks of it, what the **** has it got to do with them? For one, the work is all independent and two it's for my life and I personally am not impressed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)
    This post is principally for the benefit of Bezza as there is some confusion about the 'worth' of GNVQ ICT for GCSE.

I have just visited the QCA website (overseeing body of exam boards) and they explain that Part 1 GNVQ in ICT has been superceded by GCSE in Applied ICT (Double award) from Sept. 2001. It is graded AA - GG available at level 1 (foundation) - in much the same way as tiered papers for other GCSE subjects - and level 2 (intermediate). But both are only equivalent to 2 GCSE's so I'm not sure where the stated 4 GCSE comparators came from.
    Yes there are GNVQ Intermediate Part 1's, although that has nothing to with anything since we are talking about the GNVQ Intermediate which schools use for their little league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Schools DO tutor their pupils for the 11+. Although this was frowned up in the bad old days of widespread selection, it is mandatory now for any primary that transfers year 6 pupils into selective areas. In fact much is made of by primary schools who compete to see how many of their pupils they can get through the 11+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Yes there are GNVQ Intermediate Part 1's, although that has nothing to with anything since we are talking about the GNVQ Intermediate which schools use for their little league tables.
    Isn't that just what I said I found out from QCA?

League tables are BIG business and are used extensively by parents when deciding which secondary they want their offspring to go to. I find them iniquitous myself as they do not give the full picture, as do no league tables, but they are published because of parental demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn1)

Thanks for that. Seems strange that the foundation and intermediate levels offer the same grade range though - in gcses you can only get up to a B (I think) in intermediate and C in foundation.

ReputationRep:
    ttsonline.net
    GNVQ ICT

TTS Online Limited is the country's leading provider of a complete set of online course materials to cover the very popular GNVQ Intermediate ICT Course.
    Worth 4 GCSE Passes Grade A*-C
    66% Coursework Assessed
    Online materials engage the Learner
    Software skills learning sections are included
    They certainly seem to think it's worth 4 GCSEs

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.