Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Introduction of Comprehensive Schools in Northern Ireland watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    And I assume they get all the money for their crappy CDs which they sell? All the teachers are nerds and get very excited when they get filmed in PC World.
    A profit of £1,000,000

ReputationRep:
    Don't get me started on those courses. :mad: They are worth 4 GCSEs, I'd personally say 3 is fine and lets be honest, schools only use them for league tables which often backfires because some don't pass and the intelligent people seem to like to take them.
    IMO you need to look at the quantity of knowledge you need for a GNVQ compared to a normal gcse, then go from their. I very much doubt GNVQ IT has 4 times as much in the syllabus as GCSE IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    A profit of £1,000,000
    Huh-hah, well no wonder their school is the best. I bet the weirdo teachers have the best cars too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    IMO you need to look at the quantity of knowledge you need for a GNVQ compared to a normal gcse, then go from their. I very much doubt GNVQ IT has 4 times as much in the syllabus as GCSE IT.
    Nope, it doesn't. There is a very heavy workload, which makes it worth three GCSEs. The thing with the GNVQ is the amount of explaining you have to do for everything, even if you have a picture in front of you which clearly shows you know how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it doesn't. There is a very heavy workload, which makes it worth three GCSEs. The thing with the GNVQ is the amount of explaining you have to do for everything, even if you have a picture in front of you which clearly shows you know how to do it.
    But is the workload the equivalent amount of work needed for 3 GCSEs? I don't know as I have no experience of GNVQs. Sounds a bit like the GCSE in terms of explaining - for the coursework you have to: write how you could do it, how you're going to do it, actually do it, write how you did it, how well you did it, how you could have done it better. Very tedious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    But is the workload the equivalent amount of work needed for 3 GCSEs? I don't know as I have no experience of GNVQs. Sounds a bit like the GCSE in terms of explaining - for the coursework you have to: write how you could do it, how you're going to do it, actually do it, write how you did it, how well you did it, how you could have done it better. Very tedious.
    I'd say so. I have massive reports, maybe 60 pages and that's for one unit when there are 6. It's an odd course, not like another GCSE. The self-motivation that people have to have has to be high, because you have to do all the work yourself with very rare explanations and I'd say that's worth a GCSE in itself.

Schools should approach them with caution, and make sure the right people take them.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they are, there are no other ways really to compare schools.
    Erm.... Ofsted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic V)
    Just got up, ******?
    Nah. How are you anyway, Hewins?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Judging by exam results, Northern Ireland outperforms mainland Britain and has done since the introduction of comprehensives in the 1970s. Northern Ireland is fully selective, children sit a test at the age of 11.

However, despite Northern Ireland's academic success, the government plans to inflict comprehensive schools there in 2008. I say this is stupid as this will only bring Northern Ireland's standards down to our level instead of bringing our standards up to theirs.

It could also be described as undemocratic considering the popularity if selective schools there.

Is the government right to introduce comprehensives into Northern Ireland?
    Judging by exam results?
    Where?

The Northern Irish education ethos is much stronger than the British one (mainly due to the heavy influence of religious schools), thus it is not really pratical to compare different COUNTRIES in this case.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not Hewins. A study of our posts, as well as being a thoroughly nerdish activity, will clearly reveal two different personalities. You're the only one who speculates that Hewins and Gnostic are one. Not even Nerd Queen herself as entertained such a delusion. But, then again, you are from a university which deludes itself that it's part of the top ten, so I should'nt be suprised.
    You two are never online together. You also both think that Kings is a great uni.

These two facts point to one solution...

ReputationRep:
    Northern Ireland is British territory, the people there are British. How, then, can it be stronger than that which it is?
    Northern Ireland (like any country) is comprised of people of more than one nationality (particularly Irish people in this case).

ReputationRep:
    My, my, aren't we the Professor of Logic at the LSE? lol my God, I would've expected more logic from a mathematician.

It does not logically follow from the premises you have given that I and Hewins are one. Also, Hewins, I believe, does not think KCL is a "great uni" only that it has been seriously underrated in recent years. I also dont think all of KCL is great, only about 8 of its 24 + departments.
    Ok. Then **** logic - it's a mere intuition. Based on your record, can I really be blamed?

ReputationRep:
    Now our mathematical friend is delving into intution. What next, you're going to cast a spell?
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Northern Ireland is British territory, the people there are British. How, then, can it be stronger than that which it is?
    Errr, 'culture'. You utter utter retard.

ReputationRep:
    True, but the majority are British.
    Yes, the majority. But current estimates are that Catholics make up around 44-46% of the population, and the vast majority of Catholics would consider themselves to be Irish.

Anyway, this isn't really the point. Of course the ethos in Northern Ireland can be different than other parts of Britain - just as attitudes and opinions in London are often different to those in Glasgow, or Manchester.

In my experience (and I admit this is limited) there is a different attitude towards education. I think teachers are a lot more respected here, "pillars of the community" like doctors and priests. I know there is a strong education ethos here, particularly among the middle class, but it is also very prominent in working class families too. I cannot say however that this is not the cas in other parts of Britain also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    I cannot say however that this is not the cas in other parts of Britain also.
    Not nearly as much as it is over there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Not nearly as much as it is over there.
    Yes, do you visit Downside a lot Bigcnee? The monks there are splendid people. I know Fr Yeo in person, such a warm hearted person. Did you choose Bath for the close proximity of Downside? Good choice, they uphold the faith well there.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, but I think one of my friends has tutored students from there. He says they're impeccably behaved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Nope, but I think one of my friends has tutored students from there. He says they're impeccably behaved.
    Indeed. You should visit sometime, it isn't far out of Bath. The Abbey welcomes all.

Perhaps our dear friend gnostic should visit too and get a taster of why he is living in the dark ages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Indeed. You should visit sometime, it isn't far out of Bath. The Abbey welcomes all.

Perhaps our dear friend gnostic should visit too and get a taster of why he is living in the dark ages
    How do you know it?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.