Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Introduction of Comprehensive Schools in Northern Ireland watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Several google searches, several results.
    So basically... you're talking shite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlanD)
    It is a ridiculous idea. It would be acceptable if British comprehensives were good, but most are pi** poor.
    Thank you for your informative input. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    So basically... you're talking shite?
    Not really, I just can't give one definitive source to back up what I say, it doesn't make it untrue, we are rather inhibited by the internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Not really, I just can't give one definitive source to back up what I say, it doesn't make it untrue, we are rather inhibited by the internet.
    You can't make an outrageous (although clearly ambiguous) claim, and then say:

"I've got a source, although it's a suggestion..... "

Hmm.. How about I suggest I'm Superman?

"It's from a google search.."

Oohh, thanks for narrowing it down!

"I just can't give a definitive.. blah, blah..."

Yeah, whatever.

I don't mean to be harsh on you Lord H. because I don't mind you (despite neg. rep to suggest otherwise!), but I can't take blatant fabrication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I wont enter into conflict tonight, I've subtlely made my views known before on similar issues.

Out of interest, can you tell me the top catholic independents? I saw a programme on the BBC a while ago about a school with monks (taking on an inner city Afro-Caribbean youth, who subsequently got expelled) it was quite interesting.
    Of course it was probably Ampleforth. They love any attention they can get because they have so little to grasp at compared to other schools.

Anyhu, in order of 'best' catholic education given:

Worth
    Stonyhurst
    Downside
    Ampleforth

These are the 'big 4', obviously there are many others.

A little known fact: The Jesuit's at Stonyhurst decided to set up a boarding school down south in the 18??'s. This school happened to be placed in Windsor. The Jesuit running the colelge, St John's Beaumont, asked kindly for the headmaster of a rather more famous boarding school next door if games could be arranged between the schools. The headmaster of of this school replied 'what is the Saint John Beaumont? What do you stand for? What kind of calibre are the pupils?'. The Jesuit replied, ''Beaumont is what Eton was, a school for the sons of Catholic gentlemen, we don't intend to change our ways, unlike some''. Always amused me that one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Thank you for your informative input. :rolleyes:
    He has a point though. You cannot dispute the fact that the grammar and independent sector provide 95% of this country's elite secondary schools. I wouldn't dream of attending most the comprehensive schools near where I live, for they are god-awful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    Of course it was probably Ampleforth. They love any attention they can get because they have so little to grasp at compared to other schools.

Anyhu, in order of 'best' catholic education given:

Worth
    Stonyhurst
    Downside
    Ampleforth

These are the 'big 4', obviously there are many others.

A little known fact: The Jesuit's at Stonyhurst decided to set up a boarding school down south in the 18??'s. This school happened to be placed in Windsor. The Jesuit running the colelge, St John's Beaumont, asked kindly for the headmaster of a rather more famous boarding school next door if games could be arranged between the schools. The headmaster of of this school replied 'what is the Saint John Beaumont? What do you stand for? What kind of calibre are the pupils?'. The Jesuit replied, ''Beaumont is what Eton was, a school for the sons of Catholic gentlemen, we don't intend to change our ways, unlike some''. Always amused me that one.
    Are these places academic "hothouses" so to speak?

ReputationRep:
    Are these places academic "hothouses" so to speak?
    In what way?

ReputationRep:
    In what way?
    Do they go all out on academics (flinging dossers out after year 11 and swapping them for 10A people etc.) and therefore produce the kind of results that Westminster Upper and the like do? Or is it a 'less-heated' environment?

ReputationRep:
    Do they go all out on academics (flinging dossers out after year 11 and swapping them for 10A people etc.) and therefore produce the kind of results that Westminster Upper and the like do? Or is it a 'less-heated' environment?
    Oh less heated. Very much so. Like I said, they don't fiddle exam results and would never withdraw a candidate however how weak, it would not be in the catholic nature to do such things that other league table hungry schools do. They do however get around the same amount into Oxbridge as a place such as Westminster per applicant.

In other words the schools will not only look after the gifted but look the 'thick kids', unlike others who would rather see an extra 1% on a league table than continue to educate a child.

ReputationRep:
    Oh less heated. Very much so. Like I said, they don't fiddle exam results and would never withdraw a candidate however how weak, it would not be in the catholic nature to do such things that other league table hungry schools do. They do however get around the same amount into Oxbridge as a place such as Westminster per applicant.
    I can honestly say, in my time at Westminster, no one was ever forced to withdraw from an exam AND pressure was never placed on a student to withdraw. Westminster has many many problem, but exam table fiddling certainly isn't one of them. And in terms of Oxbridge places per student, not even Eton get close to Westminster; St. Paul's are the closest and they're still a good 5% behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    I can honestly say, in my time at Westminster, no one was ever forced to withdraw from an exam AND pressure was never placed on a student to withdraw. Westminster has many many problem, but exam table fiddling certainly isn't one of them. And in terms of Oxbridge places per student, not even Eton get close to Westminster; St. Paul's are the closest and they're still a good 5% behind.
    Whatever, I know little about Westminster. There are many schools with such attitudes though.

In my year there was a 90% succes rate for applicants (granted that was a good year) for around 15 pupils. Surely it cannot beat that!!! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    What longterm future do you suspect (maintained) church schools have in this country?

ReputationRep:
    What longterm future do you suspect (maintained) church schools have in this country?
    Good I think. It is general hear say' (well where I live) that cath's are better schools especially at comprehensive and primary level. Whether this is true or not remains to be seen but where I live it is certainly true!!!

ReputationRep:
    Whatever, I know little about Westminster. There are many schools with such attitudes though.

In my year there was a 90% succes rate for applicants (granted that was a good year) for around 15 pupils. Surely it cannot beat that!!! :eek:
    I promise that isn't the case at the big Public School I know. It may be a bigger problem at private school, but Eton/Westminster/Paul's are under so much scrutiny, they couldn't get away with it even if they tried.

In my year (this was back in 2001, so it's probable higher now) we got about 80 out of 150 into oxbridge, so nowhere near 90%. You must of had a year of about 17 pupils? And not shown in any of the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    I promise that isn't the case at the big Public School I know. It may be a bigger problem at private school, but Eton/Westminster/Paul's are under so much scrutiny, they couldn't get away with it even if they tried.

In my year (this was back in 2001, so it's probable higher now) we got about 80 out of 150 into oxbridge, so nowhere near 90%. You must of had a year of about 17 pupils? And not shown in any of the league tables.
    Lol no. I'm working on Oxbridge pupils per applicant to Oxbridge. People who don't appply don't count!!! Hehe the school is much smaller than 150, quite a bit less than half infact, but slightly more than 17!!!! God, to say the school has one of the most feared rugby teams it would be a miracle with 17 pupils per year, epsecially since they are accepting girls now

The same high scrutiny goes on at the said catholic schools, but for *ahem* the priests and monks to ensure they aren't naughty boys *ahem*

ReputationRep:
    Lol no. I'm working on Oxbridge pupils per applicant to Oxbridge. People who don't appply don't count!!! Hehe the school is much smaller than 150, quite a bit less than half infact, but slightly more than 17!!!! God, to say the school has one of the most feared rugby teams it would be a miracle with 17 pupils per year, epsecially since they are accepting girls now

The same high scrutiny goes on at the said catholic schools, but for *ahem* the priests and monks to ensure they aren't naughty boys *ahem*
    In that case, in my year about 85 applied, so it's about 94%. I never paid my attention though - we're all individual after all.

I must admit I hadn't heard of your school till about 3 months ago. We've never bothered with rugby, rowing tends to dominate at Westminster, rugby was for those would couldn't get in the 2nd VIII or football team.

ReputationRep:
    In that case, in my year about 85 applied, so it's about 94%. I never paid my attention though - we're all individual after all.

I must admit I hadn't heard of your school till about 3 months ago. We've never bothered with rugby, rowing tends to dominate at Westminster, rugby was for those would couldn't get in the 2nd VIII or football team.
    Doesn't surprise me, outside the catholic community very few have heard of the schools. Thats the way we would prefer to have it too (well Ampleforth is the exception). I assure you though schools that lick places like Eton by 50 points like Wellington and John fisher have certainly heard of my old school though, oh and whatever they say, we did win Rosslyn park in 1999 fair and square Soft whining southerners You see, they get rather wound up that we will only play them in 7's tournaments these days because the school refuses to play in the Daily Mail cup (nationwide first XV tournament) due to cheating schools who have half their team made up of 'ringers' from professional clubs who were given 'scholarships' after their GCSE's. Ain't naming no names *ahem* Colstons *ahem* Millfield etc...

Hehe, you should visit a 'rugby' school some day and ask what they think of 'rowing'

Anyway, I digress, grammer schoolz should be bannedz innit coz dey is well selectiv.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't surprise me, outside the catholic community very few have heard of the schools. Thats the way we would prefer to have it too (well Ampleforth is the exception). I assure you though schools that lick places like Eton by 50 points like Wellington and John fisher have certainly heard of my old school though, oh and whatever they say, we did win Rosslyn park in 1999 fair and square Soft whining southerners You see, they get rather wound up that we will only play them in 7's tournaments these days because the school refuses to play in the Daily Mail cup (nationwide first XV tournament) due to cheating schools who have half their team made up of 'ringers' from professional clubs who were given 'scholarships' after their GCSE's. Ain't naming no names *ahem* Colstons *ahem* Millfield etc...

Hehe, you should visit a 'rugby' school some day and ask what they think of 'rowing'

Anyway, I digress, grammer schoolz should be bannedz innit coz dey is well selectiv.
    I'm sure you could put 100 points on Eton and only the 22 players would care. Whereas Eton's awful performance at the Nation Schools' Regatta will live long in the memory. Harrow are supposed to be good at rugby and he beat them one year I remember.

And back on topic, the government should keeps it nose out. If the current system is working for NI, why chance it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you could put 100 points on Eton and only the 22 players would care. Whereas Eton's awful performance at the Nation Schools' Regatta will live long in the memory. Harrow are supposed to be good at rugby and he beat them one year I remember.

And back on topic, the government should keeps it nose out. If the current system is working for NI, why chance it?
    Since when did 11-a-side games of rugger take place?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.