Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you regard as "good" and "bad" pay... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    depends how much you'd enjoy it.
    I agree. I've got a trial session to see if my working there is mutually the best thing for both myself and the employer. I love children, but I think a lot of it will be clearing up after activities, seeing as I'll be the youngest/least experienced. It will also be tiring, and a fairly long day.

So I'll see how it goes, but I'm fairly optimistic that I'll enjoy it- I'd definitely rather do this than work in a shop or be a waitress or something.

ReputationRep:
    I was 17 when I got my first job and I was paid £2.85 an hour making/selling popcorn in a cinema. Doesn't sound too bad but it was considering I had to work till 2am at weekends.

£3.25 aged 15 sounds ok. You are only doing it for a summer anyway right?

I hate the fact that there is no minimum wage for under 18s. As if 15-17 year olds don't work as hard! It is an open door to exploitation.

ReputationRep:
    thats really good for someone your age. when i was 15 i was on £3 an hour working in a kitchen. then when i was 16 i got £30 a day working in a sports shop which translated as £3.20 an hour but i've since gone up to £40 a day - £4.20 which isn't too bad at all but its taken me 9 months to get that far!

ReputationRep:
    I was getting 4.40 p/h at 16, working at a cinema which I though was good...you got to see loads of free films for you and your friends too..

ReputationRep:
    also depends whereabouts in the country you live....in the north £3+ an hour for ppl under 18 is ok, we can get by on it but i spose the same amount for someone living in london would be a little tight.

i'm 18 and on 4.95 an hour which is bloody amazing

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 5, 2004
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.