The Student Room Group

Most reliable place for uni rankings?

What is the most reliable source for university rankings in subjects and just generally?
I was looking at Queen Mary for Economics and one year they were 4th in the UK and next year they are like 17th in the UK. I do realise there are a number of factors when determining rankings such as student satisfaction which can easily change every year.

So where is the best place for me to look at university rankings? I will also go visit the potential unis i want to apply for :smile:
Original post by SheLikeTheMango
X

They all say something different and are measured on different things. People will tell you the most reliable rankings are those that put their uni/course highest. :wink:

They're great for an indication but they should only play a tiny part in deciding your uni. Like you say, you need to go to the uni and speak to everyone you can - everything's on show and you can probe every part. :biggrin:
Original post by Roving Fish
They all say something different and are measured on different things. People will tell you the most reliable rankings are those that put their uni/course highest. :wink:

They're great for an indication but they should only play a tiny part in deciding your uni. Like you say, you need to go to the uni and speak to everyone you can - everything's on show and you can probe every part. :biggrin:

Yeah I will visit open days and go to lectures etc. I know some who rejected an offer for imperial for engineering in favour of UCL... Not exactly sure why but maybe they didnt fancy Imperial even though they are high up in rankings :redface:

Could you still point me towards some reliable university tables? I am planning to apply for Economics at Queen Mary for 2016 entry but I just wanna see other unis that are below it for insurance choices (preferably in London)
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

this compares various factors you might consider when picking your uni choices and includes the nss survey results which tells you how students felt about things like quality of teaching. I pretty much ignored league tables themselves in favour for nss surveys and things like accommodation prices and quality of teaching
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by claireestelle
https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

this compares various factors you might consider when picking your uni choices and includes the nss survey results which tells you how students felt about things like quality of teaching. I pretty much ignored league tables themselves in favour for nss surveys and things like accommodation prices and quality of teaching

Thank you, i have checked that out, very useful :smile: although accomodation prices do not matter to me because ill be staying at home :tongue: but yeah quality of teaching is important. Nss surverys can be faked though cant they?

I still think league tables are good for general indication so you shouldnt toally ignore them :smile:

What do you study at uni? Nursing? (taking a guess from ur display picture :tongue:)
Thank you, i have checked that out, very useful :smile: although accomodation prices do not matter to me because ill be staying at home :tongue: but yeah quality of teaching is important. Nss surverys can be faked though cant they?

I still think league tables are good for general indication so you shouldnt toally ignore them :smile:

What do you study at uni? Nursing? (taking a guess from ur display picture :tongue:)

they cant fake them(did one a couple of months ago) you have to have a student uni email to be able to access the survey.

i m doing nursing in september:smile:, didnt bother with league tables as all courses are nmc regulated so if the quality of teaching wasnt good then they wouldnt be allowed to offer nursing anymore:P and basically as for the league tables data themselves, the average ucas points of league tables doesnt tell me anything as the course i m using for entry doesnt have tariff points(and theres so many mature students not many people have ucas points per say) and graduate prospects is similar for most nursing courses and finally research quality again cant make much a difference with teaching. so basically for me thought i may as well ignore them but then not everybody would feel the same
Reply 6
http://gu.com/p/3p3t5/stw

Questionable reliability due to the Guardian being a right wing newspaper, Oxford/Cambridge obviously occupy top spots but that's to be expected.

I chose my universities using this table.
they cant fake them(did one a couple of months ago) you have to have a student uni email to be able to access the survey.

i m doing nursing in september:smile:, didnt bother with league tables as all courses are nmc regulated so if the quality of teaching wasnt good then they wouldnt be allowed to offer nursing anymore:P and basically as for the league tables data themselves, the average ucas points of league tables doesnt tell me anything as the course i m using for entry doesnt have tariff points(and theres so many mature students not many people have ucas points per say) and graduate prospects is similar for most nursing courses and finally research quality again cant make much a difference with teaching. so basically for me thought i may as well ignore them but then not everybody would feel the same

Yes, i guess with your course, those factors dont matter. Well done on the offer though, i am also trying to tell someone i know to go into nursing. She's not very sure what to do with the qualifications she has done so i told her to try out nursing, what are the requirements for nursing?
Reply 8
I hope you listen to all these cool people telling you league tables shouldn't really matter at all. No one really cares about university rankings, they're unreliable, they all measure different things, and they don't help you out in any way.

What are important are factors like the contents of the course, other things like ability to study abroad/work for a year, living costs etc. as well as having choices that are a broad range in terms of risk as well as offers.

unistats is good and another useful website is http://university.which.co.uk/
Original post by AdamADC
http://gu.com/p/3p3t5/stw

Questionable reliability due to the Guardian being a right wing newspaper, Oxford/Cambridge obviously occupy top spots but that's to be expected.

I chose my universities using this table.

The Guardian couldn't be more left wing if it tried. :wink:
Yes, i guess with your course, those factors dont matter. Well done on the offer though, i am also trying to tell someone i know to go into nursing. She's not very sure what to do with the qualifications she has done so i told her to try out nursing, what are the requirements for nursing?

on average 280 ucas points or i think like DMM for a btec , gcse c in maths and english (sometimes science) an amazing personal statement, same for interview and as much care experience as you can get. its very competitive, and i think theres something like 10 applicants+ per place for some unis. there arent many people straight out of sixth form/ college that can get a nursing offer especially in the smaller branches.
(edited 8 years ago)
i ve always wondered where on earth do the league tables get their data from, anybody know?
i ve always wondered where on earth do the league tables get their data from, anybody know?

A mix of unistats (government) research and the NSS I thought?

Www.hesa.ac.uk

Universities have to send statistical returns to hesa (and funding is based on them so returns get audited and checked) then anyone can buy the data back. This is also the source for most of the data on unistats(there is a unistats return called the KIS) and which.

Some other things (tuition fees etc) are provided by unis directly. Which also buy data from UCAS but I wouldn't trust that personally.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending