The Student Room Group

What do I need for an A* in chemistry?

Do I need 90% overall or 90% in each module. I searched online and it said overall but my friend said it has to be in each module so I'm just making sure
Original post by ojj_12
Do I need 90% overall or 90% in each module. I searched online and it said overall but my friend said it has to be in each module so I'm just making sure

What exam board is this? All I can talk about is OCR, where 80% overall is required at AS and 90% overall is required at A2.
This is the example given by OCR:

"The A* at A Level is awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall(80%), and who also achieve at least 90% on the uniform mark scale (UMS) across their A2units. For example, in a four-unit A Level which has 400 UMS and each unit has 100 UMS, youneed to achieve at least 320 UMS overall and at least 180 UMS out of 200 on the A2 units.The A* is not awarded for individual units or for the AS Level."

For more information (if you're doing OCR, if you're not, other exam boards will award it in a similar way so it's worth a look) look here:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf
I'm pretty sure its overall. As long as you get 270/300 or above, that should be an A*
It is overall, not all modules. If you look up your exam boards unuform mark grade boundaries you will grt a pdf with the grade boundaries.
E.g. CCEA grade biundary for scienes (with 3 modules 600 total points) its 520/600 for an A*
Ill use my AS classical civ as an example cause its easy to do - it is 2 modules, both worth 100 marks each. Total for AS and A2 year is 400, an A* is 360/400. I got 182/200 at AS (across the 2 papers - 84% in one 98% in the other). I in A2 had 2 papers again 100 each. So to get what I need this year for an A* It is (360-182) divided by 2. I need 89% in both papersfor an A*. So doing better as AS meant I could afford to drop a bit at A2, since if I didnt get the A* id at least be safe in my A since dinky need 69% for an A. Ive justgiven that as a real life example to prove its overall not in each, if you get 95% in one paper then you can get 85% in the other it would even out to be tge 90 you need. Sorry long winded lol! But remember scaling factors in and its unpredictable... so if you got 80% on a very hard paoer that could be scaled up to 90, its unpredictable what scaling will do...
Reply 4
Thank you for clearing that up! :smile:
I know in AQA if you got a B with 210UMS in AS and are aiming for an A, you cant get an A. You can only get an A* or a B. Bit f***ed up if you ask me :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by lukejoshjames
What exam board is this? All I can talk about is OCR, where 80% overall is required at AS and 90% overall is required at A2.
This is the example given by OCR:

"The A* at A Level is awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall(80%), and who also achieve at least 90% on the uniform mark scale (UMS) across their A2units. For example, in a four-unit A Level which has 400 UMS and each unit has 100 UMS, youneed to achieve at least 320 UMS overall and at least 180 UMS out of 200 on the A2 units.The A* is not awarded for individual units or for the AS Level."

For more information (if you're doing OCR, if you're not, other exam boards will award it in a similar way so it's worth a look) look here:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf

I'm AQA but I'm sure it's the same. It's just a bit weird because I got full ums in the practical and I'm hoping to get 95ish% for unit 4 but that meant I would only need a B for an A* :0
Original post by ojj_12
I'm AQA but I'm sure it's the same. It's just a bit weird because I got full ums in the practical and I'm hoping to get 95ish% for unit 4 but that meant I would only need a B for an A* :0

AQA for an A you need 480UMS. For an A* you also need 480UMS but with 270UMS coming from your A2 modules (CHEM4, CHEM5, CHM6T/X)
Reply 8
Original post by chizz1889
AQA for an A you need 480UMS. For an A* you also need 480UMS but with 270UMS coming from your A2 modules (CHEM4, CHEM5, CHM6T/X)

Thanks :smile: I got a D at AS but I retook my unit 2. Maybe this has worked out for the best...:colone:

Quick Reply

Latest