The Student Room Group

I already have a degree, can I apply for undergrad medicine at Imperial?

Hi all,
(edited 6 years ago)
They should have a GEM route
Original post by catrin2020
Yeah they do, but say I wanted to apply for their undergraduate course over their grad course, would I be allowed to do so?

Tbh I don't know.call or email the admission tutors
Hi all,

My question is in the title; If i already have a degree can I apply for the A100 undergrad medicine course at Imperial College London? Or can I only apply for the grad course?

Thanks!

You can apply for an undergrad degree, however you'll still need to fulfil the criteria for school leavers I.e. AAAb at a level in the required subjects and BMAT.

Also there's no funding at all for graduates who apply for undergrad degrees - you'll be forking out the first four years of tuition fees yourself (£36k). NHS will pay for your fifth year. I'm not sure if you're eligible for another student finance so you may be forking out all of your living costs as - another £8-10k a year in a very expensive part of London

Long story short if you have lots of money behind you go ahead and apply. If you don't, then do graduate entry medicine.

Wait for the GEM TSR crew to arrive on this thread Theyll guide you more in depth
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Brownclown
You can apply for an undergrad degree, however you'll still need to fulfil the criteria for school leavers I.e. AAAb at a level in the required subjects and BMAT.

Also there's no funding at all for graduates who apply for undergrad degrees - you'll be forking out the first four years of tuition fees yourself (£36k). NHS will pay for your fifth year. I'm not sure if you're eligible for another student finance so you may be forking out all of your living costs as - another £8-10k a year in a very expensive part of London

Long story short if you have lots of money behind you go ahead and apply. If you don't, then do graduate entry medicine.

Wait for the GEM TSR crew to arrive on this thread Theyll guide you more in depth

Do you know that to be the case particularly with reference to Imperial? I just ask because I'm a graduate on a 5-year course (not Imperial though) and I have the right grades, but not the right subjects (my A-levels were Biology, Film, Art and English Literature).
[QUOTE=*pitseleh*;56787491]Do you know that to be the case particularly with reference to Imperial? I just ask because I'm a graduate on a 5-year course (not Imperial though) and I have the right grades, but not the right subjects (my A-levels were Biology, Film, Art and English Literature).

Are you a graduate on an undergraduate medicine course?

It was my understanding that For the undergraduate course you have
To have the correct grades and subject combinations at A level. For imperial that's AAAb with Bio and one other science I think, and AS chemistry if not taken to A2.

I'm not sure about the specifics of each uni though - it may be the case that if you already have a degree, then the uni won't look at your a levels if you've applied for undergrad entry

It's best if OP asks the uni themselves
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Brownclown
Are you a graduate on an undergraduate medicine course?

It was my understanding that For the undergraduate course you have
To have the correct grades and subject combinations at A level. For imperial that's AAAb with Bio and one other science I think, and AS chemistry if not taken to A2.

I'm not sure about the specifics of each uni though - it may be the case that if you already have a degree, then the uni won't look at your a levels if you've applied for undergrad entry

It's best if OP asks the uni themselves

Yes, I am. I wanted to be in Sheffield, which doesn't offer GEM, so 5 year was the only option for me. I don't know what the deal is at Imperial, but here there's quite a lot of flexibility in the requirements for grads - the more quality work experience etc that you have, the less they seem to be bothered about precisely which A-levels you did. For that reason, I agree that the OP needs to ask individual universities, really.
Hi all,

My question is in the title; If i already have a bioscience related degree can I apply for the A100 undergrad medicine course at Imperial College London? Or can I only apply for the grad course?

Thanks!

They state on their website that graduates with appropriate science degrees (I imagine yours would qualify) "should" apply for the gem course. If graduates don't have such a degree, they "are invited" to apply for the undergrad course.

I imagine that this would rule you out, but you should call them up and check.

I think above posters are also correct to suggest that if you were allowed to apply for the undergrad you'd still need to fulfil the same a level/gcse requirements as a school leaver.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
The only difference between Imperial's grad course and it's normal route is the graduates do not have to complete an intercalated year.

Funding for both courses is the same; no tuition fee support until year 5
Hi all,

My question is in the title; If i already have a bioscience related degree can I apply for the A100 undergrad medicine course at Imperial College London? Or can I only apply for the grad course?

Thanks!

The easy answer is yes. You can apply to any 5 /6 year undergraduate medical degree with a degree in biosciences. You need to do UKCAT/BMAT and will be competing with the school leavers. In many cases you will be looked on very favourably. Most will not look at the A levels at all. Most require a 2.1. Some will ask for A level Chemistry but usually only if the degree has a low science content (music, for example). Finance is entirely a different matter!
Original post by Zorg
The only difference between Imperial's grad course and it's normal route is the graduates do not have to complete an intercalated year.

Funding for both courses is the same; no tuition fee support until year 5

Are undergrads and grads all in competition when applying? Or do grads only compete with other grads for places?

Confused about this because I presume the grads and UG's attend the same lectures.
Original post by überambitious_ox
Are undergrads and grads all in competition when applying? Or do grads only compete with other grads for places?

Confused about this because I presume the grads and UG's attend the same lectures.

It varies from one university to another. Most (probably all) unis have a limit on the number of graduates they will admit to the A100 medicine course.
does anyone know the list of universities that will accept postgraduates onto the 5 year A100degree? thanks
Original post by sophie0106
does anyone know the list of universities that will accept postgraduates onto the 5 year A100degree? thanks

Almost all of them will. I can't actually think of one that wouldn't
Would I have been at a great disadvantage then if I had done GEM instead of the undergrad one? I really want to go to imperial
I am also interested to know. I know funding could be a real problem, because you only get four years of tuition fees after your undergrad? As you know Imperial's GEM is now 5 years, so you would have to finance the first year yourself. I am not so sure though.
I really want to do GEM at Imperial, but financially it doesn't seem possible.
If you find out more about this, please update us. Thanks and good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by starlight4711
I am also interested to know. I know funding could be a real problem, because you only get four years of tuition fees after your undergrad? As you know Imperial's GEM is now 5 years, so you would have to finance the first year yourself. I am not so sure though.
I really want to do GEM at Imperial, but financially it doesn't seem possible.
If you find out more about this, please update us. Thanks and good luck!

4 year GEM courses are funded. Imperial's 5 year course is more like A100 funding.

Quick Reply

Latest