The Student Room Group

UK cycle provisions must improve

What are they like in your town? Here it is literally stick a cycle mark on the pavement, and wait for the free-for all, and pretend it's a solution. Why can't we be more like the continent? This is a serious issue and the provisions are woeful.
Just wondering if anyone else felt the same and what it's like in their town?
I'm sick of nearly being run down by bikes as a pedestrian.

Scroll to see replies

No, cyclists don't pay for roads therefore roads shouldn't be built for them. There's no economic case for cycling paths at all, and I don't really care about social issues.

*From a cyclist who rides to college/school every day for the past 3 years.
Original post by SotonianOne
No, cyclists don't pay for roads therefore roads shouldn't be built for them. There's no economic case for cycling paths at all, and I don't really care about social issues.

You say that as though it benefits cyclist only. It benefits cars and pedestrians who are both sick of crappy inconsiderate and amatuerish cyclists in their way.
'I don't care about social issues'. Well I'm glad we've cleared that one up and got the final word on it then. When can we broaden out this approach and implement it to everything, following your wise decree?
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
'I don't care about social issues'. Well I'm glad we've cleared that one up and got the final word on it then. When can we broaden out this approach and implement it to everything, following your wise decree?

When it makes economic sense.

No reason to spend money on something without gainful returns. That's the Lehman Brothers way.

Especially in a recession recovery.
Reply 5

I'm a cyclist and I pay VED therefore I 'pay for roads' (even though VED doesn't pay for roads), and I say more cycle paths should be built, your argument is invalid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pjm600
I'm a cyclist and I pay VED therefore I pay for roads, and I say more cycle paths should be built, your argument is invalid.

Then you're being ripped off.

Which Excise duty band do you pay? HGV under 6 tonnes?

Your argument is ridiculous.

Cyclists do pay for roads.

It improves the environment, decreases congestion (meaning people can get to work on time, there's an economic case for you) and encourages activity, meaning people stay healthier (and are able to contribute to the workforce for longer, another economic argument).

Reducing accidents is also important. Bikes and cars weren't designed to share the road.
Reply 8
Then you're being ripped off.

Which Excise duty band do you pay? HGV under 6 tonnes?

Your argument is ridiculous.

Eh. Band G.

See amendment in case you missed it. Roads aren't funded by VED anyway, so I don't see how your argument can be valid.
Original post by Oli-Ol
Cyclists do pay for roads.

For what? Toll roads? There are no other charges for cyclists.

Original post by Oli-Ol
It improves the environment,

Not economic.

Original post by Oli-Ol
decreases congestion (meaning people can get to work on time, there's an economic case for you)

This has been proven several times to not have a big enough impact to even break-even with the initial investment necessary. Most of those are around London anyway, and no one will cycle from Berkshire on the M25 to the City.

Original post by Oli-Ol
and encourages activity, meaning people stay healthier (and are able to contribute to the workforce for longer, another economic argument).

I've never seen a study on this and I equally doubt the benefit of this hike in activity will result in lower NHS spending or later retirement.

Original post by Oli-Ol
Reducing accidents is also important. Bikes and cars weren't designed to share the road.

Spending 20 billion on saving 20 lives each year makes no sense. Each life has a price, it would be fallacy to claim the opposite. Should we indebt ourselves by doubling the deficit just to save 80 lives a year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_gU50mfehI

There's a line I'm not prepared to cross. Spending more than a million per life is wasteful, especially considering the costliest NHS treatments don't go over 300k.

"My best fiend is black but..."

:teehee:

:rofl:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by pjm600
Eh. Band G.

See amendment in case you missed it. Roads aren't funded by VED anyway, so I don't see how your argument can be valid.

Band G of Cars or Band G of HGV?

HGV: Semi-trailer below 44 tonnes, 1.8k p/y
Cars: 150 km/h to 165 kmh, 0.175 p/y

Unless you have an engine on your bicycle or an electric bike, you are either being ripped off or attempting a very poor troll.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
"My best fiend is black but..."

No reason to spend money on something without gainful returns. That's the Lehman Brothers way.

The government spends plenty of money on things that don't make sense (wind turbines that COST money and never get it back).

Improving cycling conditions for the people who ride them (TAXPAYERS!) encourages them to stop going places in the car (helps UK carbon initiatives and tackles adult obesity).

TOOL.
Original post by JoshDawg
The government spends plenty of money on things that don't make sense (wind turbines that COST money and never get it back).

I never agreed with this, nor do I see the justification of "well they spend money inefficiently anyway so let's do some more inefficient spending"

Original post by JoshDawg
Improving cycling conditions for the people who ride them (TAXPAYERS!) encourages them to stop going places in the car (helps UK carbon initiatives and tackles adult obesity).

Then let people fill out a questionnaire on tax returns to see who wants their money being spent on more cycling paths and where they want the rest of their tax taken away from.

I doubt people want 500 less to be spent on defence just to build more cycling paths, but let's put it to the test.
TOOL.

No reason to describe yourself here honey.
I never agreed with this, nor do I see the justification of "well they spend money inefficiently anyway so let's do some more inefficient spending"

Then let people fill out a questionnaire on tax returns to see who wants their money being spent on more cycling paths and where they want the rest of their tax taken away from.

I doubt people want 500 less to be spent on defence just to build more cycling paths, but let's put it to the test.

Nobody said it had to come from defence. Building cycle paths does not just affect cyclists, but also tourists who may want to use them in areas of natural beauty.

The people in this country who use the cycle paths are taxpayers, so why should they be ignored?

I'm down for seeing a survey (nationwide, not just a TSR thing) looking at who thinks more cycle paths should be built. The government is already making money saving cuts / has them in planning so they can spend more elsewhere, clearly they realise there are inefficient money spending areas in the government.
No reason to describe yourself here honey.

OK, sweetiepies, appreciate your input. Shall we try and elevate this debate above the level of toddlers? You want to try that for me?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending