The Student Room Group

A level choices

I'm starting sixth form in September and I've chosen the following subjects:

English Literature
Philosophy & Ethics
History
Sociology

My ambition is to become a lawyer/solicitor and I was wondering if these options fitted well into my career choice?
Also, is there any advice for/about starting sixth form?
How challenging are the courses I've chosen?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Puddles the Monkey now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

I've picked all your subjects excluding Sociology, and I similarly want to aspire towards becoming a Barrister. As far as the choices you've made there should be no problem with you continuing to study Law at university one day, as many Law courses at Uni don't require you to necessarily study specific subjects (unlike more scientific courses). If anything they are quite useful if you want to do Law, as they are essay based and require, to some degree, critical thinking. I just finished my AS exams the other week, and the main piece of advice I would offer you is that you make sure you have chosen subjects you enjoy, not just subjects that will help provide a means to your long term ends of becoming a lawyer as at A Level your studies will become a little more intense. Additionally, try and finish your coursework as early as possible, becuase If you postpone it for later on in the year, you might end up struggling balancing doing your coursework and revising for exam in subjects like English Lit. Overall, stay calm, collected and confident and you will do well. Hope I've helped, If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think that depending on where you want to study Law that you shouldn't do sociology and maybe replace it with another more respected humanities subject. From my experience Russell Group universities tend to prefer pupils, especially with courses such as Law if they do core subjects. It's not that sociology is a bad subject its more that it can be perceived by some unis as being a 'soft' humanities. My friend recently got an offer from Durham to study Law and she does English Lit, History, Government and Politics and RS.

I'm by no means saying I don't think sociology is respectful as a subject because I thought it sounded really good but it's just what we've been told at school by various uni people which have come to talk to us, it's annoying because loads of these new subjects like film studies etc sound really interesting, its just whether or not the uni you're hoping to apply ro will take it seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest