The Student Room Group

Durham PhD Residency Requirements

Hi all,

I've just applied for a funded humanities PhD in Durham and I'd like to know how firm they are on their residency requirements? Having experience of Cambridge, which professes strict residency rules, I know that this was a very much 'on paper' sort of thing. I hope to move later on in the academic year, if I start in October, but won't be able to live there for at least six months. If I'm prepared to travel for supervisions whenever required, and if I have no interest in getting involved in the academic life there (I have a good academic circle elsewhere) is this a big problem?

Thanks to anyone who can help.
These are things only your supervisor and uni can tell you as it varies from uni to uni, department to department and supervisor to supervisor. Also bear in mind that your getting involved in academic life at the uni is as much about your own personal and professional development as about your contributing to the uni.
Reply 2
There will probably be other sessions you will be expected to attend in addition to supervision. Training, for example. Whoever is funding you will be placing expectations on the Uni to support your studies and prepare you for the future. The best thing is probably to have a chat with your potential supervisor about your proposed arrangements. If you can convince them then you will have an ally in convincing the uni/funding body. If they genuinely think it won't work then go with their opinion and move to Durham!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Thanks for both of your replies. Perhaps I ought to broaden my question: what are the experiences of those who've undertaken Phds by distance (for either part of or for the whole thing)?
Reply 4
I'm doing a PhD at Durham by Distance in the fall, happy to talk off line if you like...
Reply 5
Original post by JPNYC
I'm doing a PhD at Durham by Distance in the fall, happy to talk off line if you like...

Hey JPNYC, thanks for replying. I gave it up for this year - seemed too many hurdles, especially with funding, at such last minute - but will hopefully be doing this next year. Would be great to hear how you organised it/how you get on!
Reply 6
Hey Quicksand!

Hopefully you join us next year! I'm excited to start, have funding.

Happy to chat offline about this.

Good luck,
JPNYC

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending