The Student Room Group

Reported to exam board

Today I did my C1 exam retake and about 10 mins into it I realised I still had my phone in my pocket.
I put my hand up and one of the invigilators took it from me. After the exam was finished I went to exam office and took my phone. The woman told me that they would have to report this to the exam board.
What's going to happen?
Will I be disqualified from the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by adam_almond
Today I did my C1 exam retake and about 10 mins into it I realised I still had my phone in my pocket.
I put my hand up and one of the invigilators took it from me. After the exam was finished I went to exam office and took my phone. The woman told me that they would have to report this to the exam board.
What's going to happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure. If you volunteered the phone and it was very early in the exam they might let you off. Did they remind you about phones before you went in? If not that could help your case.
I think not as you actually had the decency to put your hand up no disruption?

Chance of getting disqualified 0.00001%
Reply 3
What's going to happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They're not robots they do realise everyone's human and make mistakes! If you owned up then you obviously had no intentions of using it to your advantage otherwise you would've kept it.
Reply 4
Original post by Jodie99
I'm not sure. If you volunteered the phone and it was very early in the exam they might let you off. Did they remind you about phones before you went in? If not that could help your case.

They probably did but I wasn't listening. Usually I put my phone in my bag so I just thought I had. I didn't really think about it. It was so early into the exam and I was still on the first question so I clearly didn't cheat.
If I do get disqualified from the exam when will I find out? What happens after that.
Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
They probably did but I wasn't listening. Usually I put my phone in my bag so I just thought I had. I didn't really think about it. It was so early into the exam and I was still on the first question so I clearly didn't cheat.
If I do get disqualified from the exam when will I find out? What happens after that.
Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sucks so much but I think you'll probably be okay.
My mum used to work in an office with an exams officer, I'll ask her when she gets home. A similar thing happened once or twice.
Reply 6
Original post by Jodie99
That sucks so much but I think you'll probably be okay.
My mum used to work in an office with an exams officer, I'll ask her when she gets home. A similar thing happened once or twice.

Okay thank you very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you do get disqualified, all your other exams with that same exam board will be disqualified too so hopefully not :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think if they disqualified people over this sort of thing they'd be disqualifying people right and left - hence, probably not.
Reply 9
Original post by Isbahcampbell
If you do get disqualified, all your other exams with that same exam board will be disqualified too so hopefully not :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think that's necessarily true.
Cheers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure of exactly which exam board this is for, but take a look here which is for AQA!

Technically, as you did take it in, despite declaring it, you could still be penalised. What it basically says is that you could either receive a warning, loss of marks in a section of the paper, or loss of that unit.

You won't be able to know until they investigate though, and then I think they will report back to your Exams Officer who may then tell you.
Original post by Isbahcampbell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not necessarily - they can choose to just disqualify you from that single unit.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I think if they disqualified people over this sort of thing they'd be disqualifying people right and left - hence, probably not.

Last year (june 2014 series), about 2,500 penalties were given out, so not that many, nope! :smile:
Why did you not just keep it in your pocket if it was switched off?

I think you would not be disqualified because your phone did not ring but don't take my word for it as I am not an examiner.

It does depend on how the exam board choose to deal with you because eventhough your phone did not ring you are not supposed to have it on you.
Original post by German123
Why did you not just keep it in your pocket if it was switched off?

I think you would not be disqualified because your phone did not ring but don't take my word for it as I am not an examiner.

It does depend on how the exam board choose to deal with you because eventhough your phone did not ring you are not supposed to have it on you.

JCQ who are the organisation who basically set the rules, do state that even if you do not use it, and it is turned off, if it is found in your possession at any time, you may be disqualified... Whether or not that'll actually happen, it is possible.
Original post by mobbsy91
JCQ who are the organisation who basically set the rules, do state that even if you do not use it, and it is turned off, if it is found in your possession at any time, you may be disqualified... Whether or not that'll actually happen, it is possible.

Ahh right, I hope you don't get disqualified, hope for the best.:smile:
Original post by German123
Ahh right, I hope you don't get disqualified, hope for the best.:smile:

I echo that too! Hopefully you won't! At most, I reckon it'd be disqualified from that unit, but you can always retake... I'd be extremely surprised if they disqualified you from the entire exam series...
I echo that too! Hopefully you won't! At most, I reckon it'd be disqualified from that unit, but you can always retake... I'd be extremely surprised if they disqualified you from the entire exam series...

Agreed.
Okay thank you very much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah she says it's not looking good for you 😬, might get away with a warning though.
You find out pretty soon apparently.
Last year (june 2014 series), about 2,500 penalties were given out, so not that many, nope! :smile:

This may be accurate but it will terrify the original poster who is already nervous of the outcome of his mistake. I do not have facts to back up my claim but most of these penalties would be for things such as having revision notes on you, continuing to write after the exam has ended, cheating, and signalling to another student.
What's going to happen?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You shouldn't have said anything :s-smilie: If it rings or goes off and it's in your pocket...and not in your hand or something. I mean it's utterly and obnoxiously strict to disqualify you altogether because of that, but reported, I mean, it's like getting charged for a crime; you still have to stand and face the judge whether you get done or not. She's right to report it. But I think if you explain you'll be fine. However, you really shouldn't have said anything and you should've made sure. Please do next time.

Quick Reply