EDEXCEL A2 PE 11th June 2015 [Discussion Thread] Watch

Tom 97
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can't find another thread for the exam on Thursday, feel free to discuss ideas and what you think will come up!
otapeiris1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
20 markers predictions??
Tom 97
Rep:
?
(Original post by otapeiris1)
20 markers predictions??
Possibly elite sports systems? Unsure really judging by my other exams this year the question could be really obscure!
otapeiris1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
think energy systems will make an appearance... possibly as a 20 marker, not to sure, could be a horrible paper
Tom 97
Rep:
?
(Original post by otapeiris1)
think energy systems will make an appearance... possibly as a 20 marker, not to sure, could be a horrible paper
Hope not! But if it is at least I have the coursework to fall back on! Thank god for the 50/50 split!
abcd12348
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When writing a 20 mark question are you's all told to discuss and argue each point?
Tom 97
Rep:
?
(Original post by abcd12348)
When writing a 20 mark question are you's all told to discuss and argue each point?
If you can argue against I would especially if the question is a discuss.
Backhurstv
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's looking like there will be a lot on history as it hasn't come up in a few years. If it does I'm in trouble 😲
Meglovespe
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ocr pe predictions?
Tom 97
Rep:
?
How did everyone do?
ewanarmstrong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
went well. 20 markkers gd. u?
Niall_18
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Overall it was ok. I liked the first half of the paper, but struggled with the elite sports management stuff because I didn't really get around to revising that. What did you guys write for the 20 marker on performance profiling? Found question 9 good
ewanarmstrong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Niall_18 , Helps to identify strengths and weaknesses, build a relationship between coach & performer, provides baseline to monitor future performance, wagon wheel as an example, to identify role for performer, to compare against other performers. Counterarguments: waste of time, could be spent doing an actual training session and a couple others points.
Niall_18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ewanarmstrong)
Niall_18 , Helps to identify strengths and weaknesses, build a relationship between coach & performer, provides baseline to monitor future performance, wagon wheel as an example, to identify role for performer, to compare against other performers. Counterarguments: waste of time, could be spent doing an actual training session and a couple others points.
Very similar to what I wrote. For the question on fatigue, did you mention about how the bod begins to utilise fat for energy once it has run out of glycogen, leading to fatigue?
ewanarmstrong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Niall_18 oops no I didn't but that's a good point. I basically kept repeating myself, something along the lines of:

- depletion of glycogen means no respiratory substrate --> resp slows --> less energy
- depletion of CP stores means no resp substrate --> resp. slows --> less energy
- no energy to remove lactic acid --> accumulates --> fatigue
- mentioned central governor's theory.

I wasn't too sure with that qn.
Niall_18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Niall_18 oops no I didn't but that's a good point. I basically kept repeating myself, something along the lines of:

- depletion of glycogen means no respiratory substrate --> resp slows --> less energy
- depletion of CP stores means no resp substrate --> resp. slows --> less energy
- no energy to remove lactic acid --> accumulates --> fatigue
- mentioned central governor's theory.

I wasn't too sure with that qn.
That's quite detailed. I also mentioned depletion of calcium ions leads to muscle inefficiency. What did you put for anaerobic adaptations?
ewanarmstrong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Niall_18)
That's quite detailed. I also mentioned depletion of calcium ions leads to muscle inefficiency. What did you put for anaerobic adaptations?

anaerobic adaptations: increased enzymes which buffer lactic acid, increase breakdown of lactic acid --> glycogen, inc breakdown lactic acid --> CO2 + H2O, increase phosphocreatine stores, increase myofibrillar hypertrophy, increased muscular hypertrophy. pretty much that
Niall_18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
There's loads of adaptations for anaerobic. I mentioned: increased rate of fibre recruitment---greater force production, increased strength of connective tissue---reduce chance of injury, increased vo2 max---greater cardiovascular ability and delays onset of fatigue and muscular hypertrophy. What methods did you mention for q9?
ewanarmstrong
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Niall_18)
There's loads of adaptations for anaerobic. I mentioned: increased rate of fibre recruitment---greater force production, increased strength of connective tissue---reduce chance of injury, increased vo2 max---greater cardiovascular ability and delays onset of fatigue and muscular hypertrophy. What methods did you mention for q9?
yeah all sounds like good stuff. err.. i went into quite a bit of detail with regards to kit selection, diet manipulation, hydration strategy. how about you?
Niall_18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah all sounds like good stuff. err.. i went into quite a bit of detail with regards to kit selection, diet manipulation, hydration strategy. how about you?
Divided it into physiological, psychological and technical;

Physiological;
Warm up
Stretching
Dietary manipulation-pre performance meals
Psychological:
Rituals such as the Haka
Coping strategies
Technical:
Ice vests if playing in hot environment
Computer software such as prozone to remind players of tactics
Discussion:
Athletes come to dependent on methods- takes away natural talent/spontaneity
Relates to income/unequal playing field
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • Middlesex University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (165)
18.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (91)
10.18%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.55%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (131)
14.65%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.51%
How can I be the best version of myself? (274)
30.65%

Watched Threads