The Student Room Group

Doing A2 maths and AS further maths, which modules count to each?

I am doing/done c1,c2,c3,c4,m1,m2,fp1,s1 and s2. I know fp1 is for further maths and c1-4 is for maths. Out of the stats and mechanics modules which ones count for my FM and maths modules? Can i choose a mix of any of them or is it already decided?
Thanks
Reply 1
Normally the exam board will assign it to give you the best grade possible combinations across the both. However, I think that your school can also ask to assign it themselves to give you the best chance of getting a higher grade in one than the other. But yes you are right about the compulsory modules going into the FMa and Maths
Original post by BlastOff
I am doing/done c1,c2,c3,c4,m1,m2,fp1,s1 and s2. I know fp1 is for further maths and c1-4 is for maths. Out of the stats and mechanics modules which ones count for my FM and maths modules? Can i choose a mix of any of them or is it already decided?Thanks

Original post by EPower
Normally the exam board will assign it to give you the best grade possible combinations across the both. However, I think that your school can also ask to assign it themselves to give you the best chance of getting a higher grade in one than the other. But yes you are right about the compulsory modules going into the FMa and Maths

You're pretty much right there! This is specifically for Edexcel what I'm about to say, but pretty sure it applies across the exam boards. They will start by giving you the best possible grade possible for Single Maths, with the lowest combination of marks! Then they'll put the rest in Further Maths.

So, let's assume you get 85UMS in all cores and 75UMS in further pure 1, and the rest are like this:
S1 - 92UMS
S2 - 75UMS
M1 - 81UMS
M2 - 78UMS

They could chuck the two best of those, S1 and M1 into Single Maths, which would give you an A at Maths. However, that would leave your Further Math at a B. Instead, they'll put M1 and M2 in Single Maths, as that would still give you an A, but then putting S1 and S2 in Further Maths would also give you an A!

The exam board will automatically sort this for you! Basically, you'll get the top Single Maths grade first, then whatever modules are left are chucked into Further Maths (except of course the core having to be single maths, and fp in FM!)

Hope that helps!
Reply 3
Original post by EPower

i don't think I did too well in M2, so I can put this in with the core modules (which I did well in) to get a better grade? Also can s1 and m2 go into the same subject, or does it have to be m1/m2 and s1/s2.

Thanks for the help!
Reply 4
Original post by mobbsy91
You're pretty much right there! This is specifically for Edexcel what I'm about to say, but pretty sure it applies across the exam boards. They will start by giving you the best possible grade possible for Single Maths, with the lowest combination of marks! Then they'll put the rest in Further Maths.

So, let's assume you get 85UMS in all cores and 75UMS in further pure 1, and the rest are like this:
S1 - 92UMS
S2 - 75UMS
M1 - 81UMS
M2 - 78UMS

They could chuck the two best of those, S1 and M1 into Single Maths, which would give you an A at Maths. However, that would leave your Further Math at a B. Instead, they'll put M1 and M2 in Single Maths, as that would still give you an A, but then putting S1 and S2 in Further Maths would also give you an A!

The exam board will automatically sort this for you! Basically, you'll get the top Single Maths grade first, then whatever modules are left are chucked into Further Maths (except of course the core having to be single maths, and fp in FM!)

Hope that helps!

Ah ok, thanks a lot, I understand it now!
Original post by BlastOff
i don't think I did too well in M2, so I can put this in with the core modules (which I did well in) to get a better grade? Also can s1 and m2 go into the same subject, or does it have to be m1/m2 and s1/s2.

Thanks for the help!

As you've asked, S1 and M2 cannot go into Single Maths I believe - you need the pre-requisite to be there for it to count... So, as you say, M1/M2 and S1/S2 would work, and so would M1/S1, as then M2/S2 would go in Further Maths, as you've already done the pre-requisite modules in the single maths.

Quick Reply

Latest