Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In terms of wages, hours, stress, interest etc: basically, quality of life.

What are your views?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    In terms of wages, hours, stress, interest etc: basically, quality of life.

What are your views?
    wages mc solicitor. both have high levels of stress and hours oh and don't get ur hopes up about making it into either of those positions.

ReputationRep:
    why not? if you have the right determination and are clever enough anyone can make those positions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iiikewldude)
    wages mc solicitor. both have high levels of stress and hours oh and don't get ur hopes up about making it into either of those positions.
    Ignore him, he gave me negative reputation calling me a whore so he knows nothing.

And you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deianra)
    :eek: That's a bit harsh.

But was JJ involved?

Oh and Jamie, considering how many threads you've posted about this and Oxbridge, I think you'll be fine, dear. :rolleyes:
    Haha, I don't think he was actually!

Ooh, I was telling some really sick joke and got it for that I think. I've been called a filfy whore a few times now. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    lol...thanks at least some people are encouraging on these boards

ReputationRep:
    lol...thanks at least some people are encouraging on these boards
    Oooh now notices that we are in your signature, thanks!

Although I voted in your poll, I didn't really understand what I was voting for! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If I could choose I ould pick barrister as they can still earn loads and it looks like fun

ReputationRep:
    From what I've researched so far I'm leaning towards Solicitor.. mostly for the fact that a job as a Barrister is unreliable.. e.g you could get a case that goes on for years and not get paid until the end of it. You'll be self-employed (although I reckon that's probably an advantage of being a Barrister) and you have to give a big chunk of your wages for tenancy as a Chamber. Solicitors don't have those problems. However by the time you finish Uni the job descriptions might change, so don't put to much energy into thinking about which one you want to do right now because the first length of the journey is the same for either career.

By the way- did you watch The Brief when it was on?? It would be so cool if a barrister really did live like that.

ReputationRep:
    MC solicitor/ any solicitor!

The first few years at the bar are hell and the pay is pisch!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle)
    By the way- did you watch The Brief when it was on?? It would be so cool if a barrister really did live like that.
    My uncle is an independant financial advisor in London and he said that a young lady on first year after having been called to the Bar, she is earning approx. £120,000 and guess how many hours she works??

ReputationRep:
    40 hours a week

ReputationRep:
    My uncle is an independant financial advisor in London and he said that a young lady on first year after having been called to the Bar, she is earning approx. £120,000 and guess how many hours she works??
    eh? Is this a character on the Brief? Is this at the Bar?
    If no and yes she's doing more than a little well to be earning £120,000 1 year post call (which equals pupilage year!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    eh? Is this a character on the Brief? Is this at the Bar?
    If no and yes she's doing more than a little well to be earning £120,000 1 year post call (which equals pupilage year!)
    sorry i think i have said it wrong. it wasnt on the Brief but she has done her pupillage and its her first year after being given tenancy

ReputationRep:
    sorry i think i have said it wrong. it wasnt on the Brief but she has done her pupillage and its her first year after being given tenancy
    What chambers is she at? I know a fiar few junior tenants, and they would be green with envy at that pay! Is that after chambers fees and the like?

ReputationRep:
    What chambers is she at? I know a fiar few junior tenants, and they would be green with envy at that pay! Is that after chambers fees and the like?
    i dont know what chambers but i think that is before chambers fees etc

ReputationRep:
    do those junior tenants like being a barrister?

ReputationRep:
    do those junior tenants like being a barrister?
    There's a mix I think - some are defo only in it for the earning potential in 5 years time! They whinge a lot! Others really seem to love advocacy and are doing it for that reason - they seem infinitely happier than the money set! They also seem to win more

ReputationRep:
    MC Solicitor - you had me rather perplexed for a few seconds, I must say. At first glance it seemed like some kind of curious hybrid of an urban music artist and a lawyer, interesting.

As it so happens, I would opt for the Bar any day, well - so long as it's around that is.

ReputationRep:
    MC solicitor - magic circle solicitor

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.