Ocr A a2 physics - braking radiation

Watch
MPH1997
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

Am I right in thinking that characteristic radiation is caused by the accelerated electron colliding with target atom causing an inner electron to be knocked off resulting in another electron dropping down an energy level to fill the gap, and so releases energy in the form of an x ray?

If so I wondering if braking radiation was caused by the accelerated electron colliding with more than one atom in the target metal and so causing electrons to be knocked off from a number of atoms causing loads of other electrons to fall down energy levels to fill the spaces and hence producing a large range of energy in the form of x rays?

Posted from TSR Mobile
mik1a
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You are correct in your first paragraph.

In the second paragraph, if the electron were to ionise two inner electrons: why do you think the characteristic x-rays from each of these ionisation events would have different frequencies? The frequencies are governed by the energy gained by an outer shell electron replacing the removed inner shell electron. As long as you have the same element, you have the same energy.
MPH1997
Rep:
?
Okay thank you, could you explain braking radiation to me please

Posted from TSR Mobile
mik1a
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The acceleration of any charged particle leads to electromagnetic radiation called "braking radiation" or Bremsstrahlung. If the charged particle is continuously accelerated, then it will continuously emit such radiation. The interesting feature of this form of emission is that the spectra are continuous, unlike the characteristic radiation spectra which has narrow peaks. The radiation of an accelerated charge can be any frequency (as long the photon energy is not greater than the kinetic energy of the particle - that wouldn't make sense) because any amount of kinetic energy can be lost by such an acceleration (technically a deceleration, but that's just a negative acceleration).
MPH1997
Rep:
?
Thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alis2
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
do you know the differences between bremsstrahlung and characteristic x rays
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (28)
26.92%
No (76)
73.08%

Watched Threads