Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was going through my politics notes and came across that one of the 5 mark questions is "What is meant by Cabinet Government" Now I don't want to be writing crap or irrelevant information, but just to check does Cabinet Government mean:

In theory the Cabinet is at the head of the Government system, with the Prime Minister at it's head as the 'first among equals'. However this has always been a very vague idea, and is open to radical interpretation by the PM, dependent on their style, character and circumstances
    The Cabinet will consist of the 'big four' - PM, Chancellor, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary, the heads of each Department of State(education, health, social security etc) and usually the 1st Secretary to the Treasury.

Or is this too much?

Also in 30 mark questions how much can you write or are aiming to write? I personally can write a page at the most and if i'm lucky a page and 5 lines, lol. Is this enough?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cellardore)
    I was going through my politics notes and came across that one of the 5 mark questions is "What is meant by Cabinet Government" Now I don't want to be writing crap or irrelevant information, but just to check does Cabinet Government mean:

In theory the Cabinet is at the head of the Government system, with the Prime Minister at it's head as the 'first among equals'. However this has always been a very vague idea, and is open to radical interpretation by the PM, dependent on their style, character and circumstances
    The Cabinet will consist of the 'big four' - PM, Chancellor, Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary, the heads of each Department of State(education, health, social security etc) and usually the 1st Secretary to the Treasury.

Or is this too much?

Also in 30 mark questions how much can you write or are aiming to write? I personally can write a page at the most and if i'm lucky a page and 5 lines, lol. Is this enough?
    Yes, that is what a cabinet government means. Thats about the correct amount too for a 5 mark question.

In regards to the 30 mark question, I think its more important to measure the amount of time you spend on the question rather than the amount.

ReputationRep:

Or is this too much?

I do OCR Politics so don't get 5 mark questions like although we do get questions like 'Distinguish betwene Cabinet Government / Prime Ministerial Government' - Anyway I think yoru definition doesn't really tackle what the question wants - this would be my answer;

Cabinet government can be described as when Cabinet is at the centre of decision making within the executive. Cabinet plays a part in both forumlating and approving policy. In a cabinet government, it is likely that meetings will be frequent and of a decent length and the PM will merely be primus inter pares and chair the meeting and sum up what has been said and will not dominate the cabinet. The Cabinet will be joined together by the convention of Collective Responsiblity. Major's govt. is a good example.

Also, afaik you have no need to list the composition of the cabinet (it is NOT asking you for that!).

I tend to got for an average of 1 A4 side per 12 minutes (which equates to every 20marks=1 A4 side).

ReputationRep:

Or is this too much?

you need to talk about Collective cabinet responsibility and the functions of cabinet :
    Control govt agenda
    settle interdepartmental disputes
    formulate policy and ratify decisions made elsewhere (eg. civil service)
    make party political decisions.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

That's cleared up a lot of confusion

ReputationRep:
    thanks

That's cleared up a lot of confusion
    Just remember, technique is half the battle in Politics especially - stick to your timing rigidly! It would be helpful if you know the structure of marks within each module before the exam so you know before you go in what the timing should be.

ReputationRep:
    Timing is the hardest part of the exam.

In my mock exam (A2) I started backwards.. doing the long essay question first and then the smaller questions afterwards. I found that I had more time that way.. it worked for me but I'm not sure if everyones the same.. my politics teacher said the smaller ones are good to calm your nerves at the beggining but there's nothing to stop you starting from the back.

I'm still not sure whether I will do that in the real thing though.. I guess it depends on the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    you need to talk about Collective cabinet responsibility and the functions of cabinet :
    Control govt agenda
    settle interdepartmental disputes
    formulate policy and ratify decisions made elsewhere (eg. civil service)
    make party political decisions.
    I wouldnt say its essential to discuss the function of Cabinet. Nowhere in the question does it mention what the Cabinet actually is. However, I guess you could add a couple to be on the safe side - but in an exam like politics where timing is everything, being selective with information is a must.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingslaw)
    I wouldnt say its essential to discuss the function of Cabinet. Nowhere in the question does it mention what the Cabinet actually is. However, I guess you could add a couple to be on the safe side - but in an exam like politics where timing is everything, being selective with information is a must.

Well Cabinet government is the running of the country through the cabinet, so I would say what the functions of the cabinetare is quite important. *shrugs* I got a high A so I must have done something right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    Well Cabinet government is the running of the country through the cabinet, so I would say what the functions of the cabinetare is quite important. *shrugs* I got a high A so I must have done something right.
    I got 3 marks off full marks so I must've done something right too! I'm just echoing what my tutors have told me about low mark question - "Only answer the quesiton, nothing more, nothing less".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aylia)
    To be quite honest it is asking what 'Cabinet Government' is; obviously this is opposed to 'Prime Ministerial Government' - therefore the functions of the Cabinet are not relevent only what is meant by a Cabinet Government (where decision making is centred upon the cabinet).

Besides, AS Politics is a joke of an exam any idiot can get an A.

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 marks off full marks so I must've done something right too! I'm just echoing what my tutors have told me about low mark question - "Only answer the quesiton, nothing more, nothing less".

Fair enough Maybe it's just a different interpretation of the question then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Only two people in our class got an A.

ReputationRep:
    Only two people in our class got an A.
    Either;

1) Your had poor poor teaching.
    2) They didn't revise (as all AS politics requires is facts).
    3) They were idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Either;

3) They were idiots.
    Nope, doesnt fit into any of them (well, as far as I know, as I cant tell how much revision everyone had done). Most people got B's. In January, our first A2 exam, I was the only one to get an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Either;

3) They were idiots.
    Infact, come to think of it, that is just incredibly offensive.

Firstly, our tutors do an incredibly good job for the pityful pay they recieve. After getting through the over-zealous scrutiny of jobsworths and constantly getting a bashing by up-their-arses politicians, they then have to put up with needless criticism from over-privaleged schoolboys whose mummys and daddys are paying for them to attend a nice grammar school.

And secondly, the people in my politics are not stupid at all. The majority of them work very very hard to achieve what they do. We are at a sixth form which is literally falling apart due to under-funding and suffers many social problems, so its not necessarily easy to achieve in such circumstances. And once again they are having to put up with over-privaleged private schoolboys whose mummy and daddy are paying their way through education, people like yourself, seemingly putting them down whenever they achieve anything.

So please think that not everyone is in your privaleged position before you spout your patronising, elitist bullsh*t.

And Tony Blair tries to claim we live in f*ckin classless society!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    To be quite honest it is asking what 'Cabinet Government' is; obviously this is opposed to 'Prime Ministerial Government' - therefore the functions of the Cabinet are not relevent only what is meant by a Cabinet Government (where decision making is centred upon the cabinet).

ok, firstly, I am aware that the functions of the cabinet is only one facet of the answer - I did not say that it would make up the whole question, just that it should be mentioned ( however briefly) My main point, though, was the issue of Cabinet Collective responsibility, which definitely should be included.

Secondly - no, not everyone gets a A. Thats much like saying GCSE's are like collecting brownie points - maybe looking back they seem easy, but at the time, a lot of effort and time was needed to get good results.

Putting down others achievements is completely unfair, and not entirely necessary - stop being so arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be a good idea to say who the Cabinet consists of i.e. the "big 4" or will that be a waste of my time?

I know you only have about 15 minutes to do the last question, so to handlle your time well, would it be best to do four paragraphs heading each one with a main point explaining and then if you have time, a conclusion that sums up all your ideas and anything you haven't included in the other four paragraphs?

And yes it isn't that easy to get an A. Last year only 9 people took the subject and only one came out with an A. This year there were 20 of us and so it was more difficult for the teacher to concentrate on every pupil.

ReputationRep:
    Would it be a good idea to say who the Cabinet consists of i.e. the "big 4" or will that be a waste of my time?

I know you only have about 15 minutes to do the last question, so to handlle your time well, would it be best to do four paragraphs heading each one with a main point explaining and then if you have time, a conclusion that sums up all your ideas and anything you haven't included in the other four paragraphs?

And yes it isn't that easy to get an A. Last year only 9 people took the subject and only one came out with an A. This year there were 20 of us and so it was more difficult for the teacher to concentrate on every pupil.

I don't think actually naming them would give you extra marks. You could mention the concept but not their actual names - use your time on other things, as you say, there's not much time anyway. That plan looks good to me - I'm just looking at my notes from last year and thats about what I did in practice questions. Keep the conclusion short though, no big last analysis required.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't actually going to head them, lol, i meant use a point as the basis of the paragraph and explain it

I think it's a good idea to keep the conclusion short though

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.