The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

LadyLucia2004
Im just wondering in the AS exam is it wise to put your personal opinions on the in the exam.
My teacher says you should whilst a revion book said that you shouldn't. :confused:
Is putting in your personal opinion part of the AO2 marks
Thanks Natalie

It's okay if you show your opinion, as long as you are able to back it up with evidence, e.g. 'PM seems more presidential nowadays because he has as big a role in the media as a president' (only put more eloquently - much more eloquently!) and that kind of thing. It's also good to argue both ways. Like... the government never being defeated in Parliament e.g. with foiundation bills could be seen as a sign of weakness of parliament, or a sign of strength of parliament and that opinion was fully consulted (and made some alterations tp the bill) before the bill was passed.
Reply 41
I've always thought that it was a good idea to put different opinions and critics, but I could be completely wrong!

I might be getting confused with english:rolleyes:
kingslaw
There are only a certain number of question they can ask you in any exam!!! Thats why they have a syllabus!!!

Stop applyin what your used to in your nice selective grammar school to the world in general.

It really pisses me off to, these people who go around saying 'a-levels are really easy I got my 8A's...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/03/exam_results/as_levels/html/23.stm

Only 22.3% achieved an A grade in AS Politics, its not easy.
StarBlueUK
It's okay if you show your opinion, as long as you are able to back it up with evidence, e.g. 'PM seems more presidential nowadays because he has as big a role in the media as a president' (only put more eloquently - much more eloquently!) and that kind of thing. It's also good to argue both ways. Like... the government never being defeated in Parliament e.g. with foiundation bills could be seen as a sign of weakness of parliament, or a sign of strength of parliament and that opinion was fully consulted (and made some alterations tp the bill) before the bill was passed.

True in the media sense, although in the power sense its more complicated. The US President has considerably less ability to influence domestic decision making than the UK PM and that has been true for a number of years. Perhaps a better way of thinking about it is that the PM has gradually absorbed many of the powers of monarch who was now moved into a more ceremonial role. These powers have come directly, through the royal prerogatives and indirectly through his/her strenghth over Parliament due to the strong party whip system. In that sense arguably they are becoming more like the French President, who apparently also has some powers similar to that.
I noticed some of you are doing A2 politics, this year. I am to, are any of you doing edexcel??
Reply 45
Imagashead
I noticed some of you are doing A2 politics, this year. I am to, are any of you doing edexcel??

I am :smile: . I'm doing the route with unit 4 - issues and unit 5 - europe. Not looking forward to it!
Reply 46
I did europe this year, hated it:smile: maybe because i had a crap teacher:rolleyes:
Aylia
I am :smile: . I'm doing the route with unit 4 - issues and unit 5 - europe. Not looking forward to it!

Me to, have you done the unit 4 exam yet? I took in January. It's unit 6, which looks the hardest one (since it carries the most marks they makes sense but never mind), being synoptic it could throw up anything. Ive looked threw the previous papers and the questions are far more varied.
Reply 48
Imagashead
Me to, have you done the unit 4 exam yet? I took in January. It's unit 6, which looks the hardest one (since it carries the most marks they makes sense but never mind), being synoptic it could throw up anything. Ive looked threw the previous papers and the questions are far more varied.

Yes, I took it in Jan too - shame we now have to revise it all again for unit 6... The questions aren't too bad, we're pretty much guaranteed one on the constitution, one on the economy and one on Northern Ireland. There's far too much material to learn for it though and I haven't really started revising it yet.
Aylia
Yes, I took it in Jan too - shame we now have to revise it all again for unit 6... The questions aren't too bad, we're pretty much guaranteed one on the constitution, one on the economy and one on Northern Ireland. There's far too much material to learn for it though and I haven't really started revising it yet.

Yea, I noticed there were three questions related to Northern Ireland in a row, you really think it'll come up again? I hope so...
Reply 50
Imagashead
Yea, I noticed there were three questions related to Northern Ireland in a row, you really think it'll come up again? I hope so...

Well, it came up in January in unit 4, so it won't be in unit 4 this time, so it will probably hopefully be in unit 6. I really want it to be, that's one of my favourite topics.
Reply 51
My favourite topic has got to be Pressure Groups- the easiest one:smile:
Reply 52
Cellardore
My favourite topic has got to be Pressure Groups- the easiest one:smile:

Oo yes, and so easy to find examples for.. .
Reply 53
I really hope that comes up and referendums:rolleyes:
Reply 54
I don't think that the UK constitution is that bad to understand either to be honest.

It's citizenship i can't get my head around?
Reply 55
Cellardore
I don't think that the UK constitution is that bad to understand either to be honest.

It's citizenship i can't get my head around?

I can't help you there - we only did it as a part of our work on human rights. I doubt it'll come up as a 30 mark question or anything so I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 56
Imagashead

Yep... American Politics.. wish I was doing ideologies though, it looks far more interesting.
LadyLucia2004
Im just wondering in the AS exam is it wise to put your personal opinions on the in the exam.
My teacher says you should whilst a revion book said that you shouldn't. :confused:
Is putting in your personal opinion part of the AO2 marks
Thanks Natalie

No, no, no, no.....Don't state your opinions. My teacher was the former chief examiner for Politics and is still on the team, whenever he reads a paragraph that says "i think" or "in my opinion" he just says: "I don't care" and moves on.

In Politics exams you are asked to EVALUATE, so analyse somthing and then point out what is right and wrong with it, but be subjective and don't reveal you're opinion........be like Jeremy Paxman on Newsnight, just tear everything apart without telling anyone what you actually think!

Best of luck, tom
Reply 58
Elle
Yep... American Politics.. wish I was doing ideologies though, it looks far more interesting.

Ideologies is great. Although if you have any strong political convictions whatsoever, its difficult to be taught as you simply can't keep your mouth shut!!!
Reply 59
kingslaw
Ideologies is great. Although if you have any strong political convictions whatsoever, its difficult to be taught as you simply can't keep your mouth shut!!!

lol.. I have enough trouble keeping my mouth shut when we talk about Bush (grrr..) but apparently Ideologies is quite a bit harder than American Poltics.. my teacher said he didn't think we would cope (guess even the system doesn't have faith in us) :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending