Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In terms of wages, hours, stress, interest etc: basically, quality of life.

What are your views? and why?

ReputationRep:
    Neither. It's all a money-hogging contest. Do law then just when everyone thinks you'll do the obvious, get into something crazy like sky diving or forensic psychology. Yes, i'm hoping to apply the latter to myself at some point in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Barrister: You work for yourself (essentially) so you live or die by your own hand. This, of course, is likely to lead to stress etc. but the job satisfaction is probably greater. Top QCs earn £1m+. Long hours.

Lawyer @ MC: You are a trainee gimp. You don't handle your own files and manage a data room on most major transactions (which is all the time - this is the MAGIC CIRCLE don't forget :P). Long hours are a given. If you're in corporate, wave bye-bye to your friends, siblings, parents, significant others. Once you get past the monkey stage (i.e. training), the quality of work you're given increases exponentially, particularly at 2-3 years PQE. Average partner profits at MCs are approaching £1m, with Slaughters ahead of the pack and the most profitable firm in the universe with the exception of Skadden "You're gonna be wearing your suit on Christmas Day" Arps.

ReputationRep:
    Barrister in a MC firm..? How does a trained barrister get into one? Surely you wouldn't have to do the lpc first - is it just a matter of applying for a training contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vitriol)
    Barrister: You work for yourself (essentially) so you live or die by your own hand. This, of course, is likely to lead to stress etc. but the job satisfaction is probably greater. Top QCs earn £1m+. Long hours.

Lawyer @ MC: You are a trainee gimp. You don't handle your own files and manage a data room on most major transactions (which is all the time - this is the MAGIC CIRCLE don't forget :P). Long hours are a given. If you're in corporate, wave bye-bye to your friends, siblings, parents, significant others. Once you get past the monkey stage (i.e. training), the quality of work you're given increases exponentially, particularly at 2-3 years PQE. Average partner profits at MCs are approaching £1m, with Slaughters ahead of the pack and the most profitable firm in the universe with the exception of Skadden "You're gonna be wearing your suit on Christmas Day" Arps.

Skadden dont have higher profits per partner than Slaughter - Skadden are about 1.6 million US - Slaughter - over 1m stirling.

The most profitable firm in the Universe is Watchtell Lipton, Rosen, and Katz. About 3.385 million US per partner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
    Skadden dont have higher profits per partner than Slaughter - Skadden are about 1.6 million US - Slaughter - over 1m stirling.

The most profitable firm in the Universe is Watchtell Lipton, Rosen, and Katz. About 3.385 million US per partner.
    WLRK don't take NQs in London though, do they?

EDIT: Anyway, Skaddens pays ridiculous amounts of money in London (better than NY rates because of the exchange rate). I'd love to work for them, no matter what the cost.

ReputationRep:
    WLRK don't take NQs in London though, do they?

EDIT: Anyway, Skaddens pays ridiculous amounts of money in London. I'd love to work for them, no matter what the cost.
    WL are only in NY - no UK office...

Also Skadden do pay ridiculous amounts - but its a trade off - chances of being partner are slim to no f*cking way, and even if you do you earn less than at Slaughter ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawzzzzzz)
    WL are only in NY - no UK office...

Also Skadden do pay ridiculous amounts - but its a trade off - chances of being partner are slim to no f*cking way, and even if you do you earn less than at Slaughter ...
    It's a front-loaded deal though - Skaddens now and £100k a year for a few years or somewhere like Berwin Leighton at £50, 60k per year and more of a chance to make partner.

There's always the possibility of moving 3 or 4 PQE from Skaddens.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, Skaddens pays ridiculous amounts of money in London (better than NY rates because of the exchange rate). I'd love to work for them, no matter what the cost.
    even if you had to work on Christmas Day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    even if you had to work on Christmas Day?
    It's only Christmas.

Though, personally I'd prefer a job with good pay but which also gives me time to do the things I enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron Huntroyde)
    It's only Christmas.

Though, personally I'd prefer a job with good pay but which also gives me time to do the things I enjoy.
    Precisely...I would rather work for an MC firm where you still have up to 28 days off a year, plus all bank holidays and most weekends.

ReputationRep:
    In theory.... my friend who works for a top law firm in a VERY well paid position only got there because he worked continual overtime and never took his holiday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nunoid)
    In theory.... my friend who works for a top law firm in a VERY well paid position only got there because he worked continual overtime and never took his holiday...
    i can quite understand that...are his hours more bearable now though? they say that as your seniority increases the hours reduce ironically?

ReputationRep:
    I just don't have the balls to be a barrister. I'd like to advocate on a regular basis but there is just too much riding on your own abilities. Get it wrong and you're fecked financially.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't have the balls to be a barrister. I'd like to advocate on a regular basis but there is just too much riding on your own abilities. Get it wrong and you're fecked financially.
    i agree with you.....ive often thought about solicitor advocacy.......litigators at S&M become solicitor advocates. could explain to me exactly what litigation and arbitration is?

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean to sound rude but surely you, as someone who professes to "love law", should either already know those things or be well-equipped to find out? Otherwise I wouldn't bother thinking about what goes on at the "Rolls Royce" firm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colemanballs)
    I don't mean to sound rude but surely you, as someone who professes to "love law", should either already know those things or be well-equipped to find out? Otherwise I wouldn't bother thinking about what goes on at the "Rolls Royce" firm!
    just because i like law as a subject doesnt mean that i know everything about it....also, i was only asking Vitriol because i know he is studying law so he could tell me....i'm not even studying law at university yet, and i have only read a dozen or so books related to it (and i just havent come across litigation yet) - i dont think it is such a bad crime for me asking something, surely this is what this forum is for :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Don't you enjoy finding things out for yourself, though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colemanballs)
    Don't you enjoy finding things out for yourself, though?
    Of course i do, but since it was related to what we were talking about (that being advocacy), i thought it would be appropriate to ask Vitriol what they were at that time. I have found out what litigation is on my own to prove that I am capable of doing such things and the definition of it is:

Legal Terms - Litigation

Litigation information: Refers to the act of bringing and prosecuting a law case through the courts. A claim may go through a settlement or negotiation stage, but when that process fails and suit is filed, the claim is said to have gone into litigation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamierwilliams)
    i can quite understand that...are his hours more bearable now though? they say that as your seniority increases the hours reduce ironically?
    I think he's headed for partner.. so, no! Maybe once he's happy with his status ;-) Incidently he works for one of the top 10, can't say which, might get told off!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 4, 2004

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.