The Student Room Group

SAF is the greatest manager ever

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zander01
Yeah because that Porto team were full of scrubs... They did fantastic to win the CL but it's not like he built the team now is it? and what happened after he won the CL with them? He leaves like usual and the club the declines.

And De Leiria? Really? lol. You mean when he took charge for the last 7 games of their season where they finished in their highest ever spot (5th) which they had pretty much already occupied before he joined? Where did they finish after he, again leaves a team very soon after joining them?

No he didn't take place at De Leiria for the last 7 games of their season, he started the post in july 2001 and went to porto late january 2001, they were 3rd at the point Jose left the club and 3 points off the top spot of the portuguese liga. So clearly he's been able to show that he can do it with lower clubs. The fact he got fasttracked to a top job so quickly is a testament to his ability as a coach.

Porto were 5th in the portuguese liga the time he went there, he took a team of underperformers in a weak domestic league to european champions. He was the one who introduced Carvalho, Ferreira, Pedro Emmanuel, Benny Mccarthy, Derlei, Bosingwa etc. Granted there were a good group of players before hand but same for the Porto squad in 2011 or the one this year and none of the porto squads have come close to what Mourinho has done with the club.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yeah like spunking money on people like Zaha, Anderson, Nani is investing money for long term success, then also his spending in the 90s where he basically bought the top players in the premier league from the title challengers a la bayern(Cole, Yorke, Cantona etc).

Also the bit in bold applies to every single manager from top clubs other than Ancelotti(who left PSG for Real anyway and Milan for Chelsea for similar reasons anyway) and Fergie. Klopp/Guardiola etc. just like to put the bull**** that they're tired but left conveniently when the team wasn't doing well on the pitch, Guardiola probably going to leave Bayern next year because he knows replacing a bunch of geriatric midfielders that he's utterly reliant on is going to be tough and he wants another CL title.

What were they bought for then? He didn't buy them knowing it doesn't matter if they'll work out because he'll just leave anyway..

That's probably a fair point, but not to the same degree as Mourinho. Pep was at Barca just as long as Mourinho's longest ever stint with one team, Klopp has a genuine excuse for needing a sabbatical seeing as he has been at Dortmund for around 8 years and had one of the most hectic seasons ever.

Another thing is, will any of Mourinho's teams be remembered as some of the greats? Sure, Porto will be remembered for being underdogs and Inter will be remembered for being good. But he hasn't built a team that could challenge the likes of 'Pep's Barca' or Heynkes' Bayern or United in 99.
Original post by Zander01
What were they bought for then? He didn't buy them knowing it doesn't matter if they'll work out because he'll just leave anyway..

That's probably a fair point, but not to the same degree as Mourinho. Pep was at Barca just as long as Mourinho's longest ever stint with one team, Klopp has a genuine excuse for needing a sabbatical seeing as he has been at Dortmund for around 8 years and had one of the most hectic seasons ever.

Another thing is, will any of Mourinho's teams be remembered as some of the greats? Sure, Porto will be remembered for being underdogs and Inter will be remembered for being good. But he hasn't built a team that could challenge the likes of 'Pep's Barca' or Heynkes' Bayern or United in 99.

Pep has been managing for 6 years at the top level(not including his sabbatical). He's said already that he doesn't expect to renew at Bayern. I don't think you can begrudge Jose for leaving Porto under those circumstances, Chelsea was a mutual agreement and considering he's been the longest serving manager under Abramovich leaving after 3 seasons isn't really that bad and well Inter were going broke so he was never going to be able to replace that team to the level required.

Also he's been Madrid's longest serving manager in over a decade. You are comparing a manager who has been brought into clubs who focus on short term management spells to a manager who has been at a club that's known for it's patience wrt managers.

Would argue Inter>United 99 quite easily, in fact other than Porto, United 99 are the weakest team to have ever won a treble including the CL, the low PL points total and the large elements of luck that went their way in that treble. There's always a favour of attacking football over defensive football anyway so most of the top teams in recent times are usually attacking based teams(Heynckes Bayern, Pep/Enriques Barcelona or the Madrid team). People talk about Sacchis Milan being one of the best ever yet Capello's Milan achieved similar trophies(with better domestic success) and that team doesn't get put in the picture since it was a more defensive side.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 23
**** off you Jose/Pep fanboys.

Just watched PL Year's 12/13 and Fergie's send off hits me right in the feels :frown: no manager will ever get a goodbye like that.
You can't say that a team who's first choice #9 was Alan Smith had bottled it. Nah.
Reply 25
Original post by Wilfred Little
His record is not great in Europe regardless of what the club finances were.

The foreigner rule probably cost him in the 90's, but the 99 and 08 teams should have won one more European Cup.

He should've won more in his last 15 years yeah, was just saying it's not as bad as made out. Only Barca won more in that period though so even that 15 year period isn't too bad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
He should've won more in his last 15 years yeah. Was just saying it's not as bad as made out.

True, especially compared to Wenger, who hasn't even won one. Hasn't even retained a league :biggrin:

Worst **** ups for me were Bayern 2010 and Leverkusen 2002. 2004 he was robbed really, 2007 was unlucky to have so many injuries in defence.

1998 to Monaco was a bad one as well.
Reply 27
True, especially compared to Wenger, who hasn't even won one. Hasn't even retained a league :biggrin:

Worst **** ups for me were Bayern 2010 and Leverkusen 2002. 2004 he was robbed really, 2007 was unlucky to have so many injuries in defence.

1998 to Monaco was a bad one as well.

1998 was tough given their lack of a focal point. People forget just how crucial Yorke's signing was, not only in terms of adding goals and dynamism but also in bringing the best out of Cole too.

Leverkusen in 2002 was a shame, but they were a magical side enjoying the perfect storm. Players like Ballack and Lucio propelled them, and they knocked us out the previous season too.
Original post by Mackay
1998 was tough given their lack of a focal point. People forget just how crucial Yorke's signing was, not only in terms of adding goals and dynamism but also in bringing the best out of Cole too.

We (me and my family) went on holiday to Wales that year and got speaking to some MU fans (well not me, my dad). I remember his exact words at that time he was being linked, "if Man U sign Yorke, they'll be awesome" :cool:

Wilf Snr with that real talk.

Leverkusen in 2002 was a shame, but they were a magical side enjoying the perfect storm. Players like Ballack and Lucio propelled them, and they knocked us out the previous season too.

True.

2010 was a major **** up though. Smacked by Barca in 09/11 and 3-0 up yet failed to make the final :biggrin:
Reply 29
We (me and my family) went on holiday to Wales that year and got speaking to some MU fans (well not me, my dad). I remember his exact words at that time he was being linked, "if Man U sign Yorke, they'll be awesome" :cool:

Wilf Snr with that real talk.

Gregory's quote about wanting to kill him summed up that transfer. Great quote, and very honest from John.
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You can't say that a team who's first choice #9 was Alan Smith had bottled it. Nah.

Milan were equally terrible though they came 4th and came 36 points behind inter(28 if you include the non ban points) so it wasn't a great Milan side either, most their team were over the hill.

Bayern 2010 was pretty bad though, no excuses when you're 3-0 up to bottle it like that.

Leverkusen 2002 they had a very good side so can't really begrudge you lot for that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 31

Smith didn't play and I think you had a superior side, as represented by your win in the competition just a year later.

It was a worse Milan side than 2005. We dominated the final against them but Inzaghi scored two sucker punches and we let them off by deploying Kuyt up front on his own rather than using Crouch's height to scare them.

Nesta was actually quoted as saying he was pleased Crouch didn't play afterwards, because he was dreading it as they don't have forwards like that in Serie A.
Original post by jam277
Milan were equally terrible though they came 4th and came 36 points behind inter(28 if you include the non ban points) so it wasn't a great Milan side either, most their team were over the hill.

Bayern 2010 was pretty bad though, no excuses when you're 3-0 up to bottle it like that.

Leverkusen 2002 they had a very good side so can't really begrudge you lot for that.

Ehhh. I think Sir Alex missed out most in 1997 tbh. How can we let Paul Lambert **** us smh. 2010 we had a pretty terrible team but we shouldn't have bottled that lead.

Original post by Mackay
Smith didn't play and I think you had a superior side, as represented by your win in the competition just a year later.

Cause he was injured. Not to worry, we have Louis Saha! Oh wait, he was probably injured too :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33

Cause he was injured. Not to worry, we have Louis Saha! Oh wait, he was probably injured too :frown:

Why was Rio benched for the second leg? Did he have a knock? Your back four was definitely your weakest point. A five-man midfield with Rooney and Giggs operating on the wings behind Rooney is capable of scoring at the San Siro, I think.
Original post by Mackay
Why was Rio benched for the second leg? Did he have a knock? Your back four was definitely your weakest point. A five-man midfield with Rooney and Giggs operating on the wings behind Rooney is capable of scoring at the San Siro, I think.

I think both Rio and Vidic were injured but SAF forced Vidic back into the XI. Rooney and Ronaldo were just not ready enough back then to carry us. Remember Gattuso absolutely bossing Ronaldo that day.
Reply 35
Original post by Mackay

Absolutely, any team with two Rooneys should be scoring a few.
Reply 36
Yeah, Vidic was still recovering and looked a shell of his 100% self.
Reply 37
Original post by difeo
Absolutely, any team with two Rooneys should be scoring a few

Haha, meant the first one to be CR7 obviously. Good spot.
Ehhh. I think Sir Alex missed out most in 1997 tbh. How can we let Paul Lambert **** us smh. 2010 we had a pretty terrible team but we shouldn't have bottled that lead.

Reckon we'd have won one more in the 90's if it wasn't for that stupid 3 foreigner rule. Tfw having to pick 3 from Giggs, Irwin, Keane, Schmiechel, Cantona, McClair, Kanchelskis & Hughes.

Although there were some incredible teams floating around at that time, including Van Gaal's Ajax, Milan and the Barca Dream Team.
Reply 39
Original post by sr90
Reckon we'd have won one more in the 90's if it wasn't for that stupid 3 foreigner rule. Tfw having to pick 3 from Giggs, Irwin, Keane, Schmiechel, Cantona, McClair, Kanchelskis & Hughes.

Although there were some incredible teams floating around at that time, including Van Gaal's Ajax, Milan and the Barca Dream Team.

The season before the Treble was your chance, in truth. Monaco weren't that good a side but you lacked the clinical edge to put them away at Old Trafford without the dynamic of Yorke and Cole's partnership.

Dortmund were exceptional back in 1997 and people sometimes forget just how good they were. It takes some side to dispatch Juventus 3-1 in a final.

Quick Reply

Latest