The Student Room Group

D&D Religion's "Ask About Judaism" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
smellielli
And the blue from the Tallit comes from a specific sea animal. I think its from the Torah.

you have a quote or something?

Bismarck
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karamano%C4%9Flu

Look at the flag.

And apparently the Israeli flag was inspired by the tallit, which has blue stripes. Prior to Israel's creation, no specific color was associated with the Star of David.

what's that to do with Jews? :confused:

so why's the tallit blue?

amosharper
- 'This is my Son with whom I am well pleased' / Temple Curtain ripping on Jesus' death / miracles - are these lies?

the bible says "well pleased"?
Thud
you have a quote or something?

Just for you Thud, a whole article on the holly Wikipedia for you about it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilazon
Thud
Language changes. That's not "well pleased" in the same colloquial sense that one might today call a car "well fast" or a person "well fit", but simply means "extremely pleased".
Thud
so why's the tallit blue?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilazon#Techelet

ie, because the Talmud says so in identifying the wee beastie you get the dye from.
Agent Smith
Language changes. That's not "well pleased" in the same colloquial sense that one might today call a car "well fast" or a person "well fit", but simply means "extremely pleased".

Whilst the language and roots of the term "well fast" are crude and ugly (and from a completely different culture) it still means "extremely fast" in the same way. :p:
Nefarious
Whilst the language and roots of the term "well fast" are crude and ugly (and from a completely different culture) it still means "extremely fast" in the same way. :p:
Exactly. The colloquial terms used to express that same concept have changed.

Haha. Yes. "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." The 'chav Jesus' idea circulated school that day. Hehehe. :smile:
Im not jewish and i was not born a jew. my question is, if i ever wanted to be a jew, i said IF, can i not be one because im not born into the religion, people say non-jews are not allowed, as jeduisam is non converting religion
Mr1
Im not jewish and i was not born a jew. my question is, if i ever wanted to be a jew, i said IF, can i not be one because im not born into the religion, people say non-jews are not allowed, as jeduisam is non converting religion

People talk a lot of rubbish.

Judaism isn't an evangelical religion but that doesn't mean people cannot convert - they're just discouraged from it. I know quite a few people who have successfully converted and are now fully fledged Jews.
At the risk of being, well, lame, I'd like to repeat what I said last time someone asked this: because Judaism does not encourage conversion in most cases,* it ensures that those who do convert are absolutely 100% committed to it, not simply doing so for half-hearted reasons or to make their life easier.** As a religion, one could almost say (if it wasn't horribly twee to do so) that it prizes quality over quantity of converts.

*Marrying-out is a different discussion altogether, and a consensus among the Jewish community is in any case noticeable by its absence.

**As with forced "conversions" to Christianity and Islam at various points in history.
because Judaism does not encourage conversion in most cases

If Jews believe that they are the chosen people and chosen race by god, then don't you think its a jewish duty to spread the word and tell others and encourage others to convert and become the chosen people aswell??
Mr1
If Jews believe that they are the chosen people and chosen race by god, then don't you think its a jewish duty to spread the word and tell others and encourage others to convert and become the chosen people aswell??

You don't have to be Jewish to be a good person. That's all that is needed.
Mr1

What you're describing is called ''Christianity'' where they believe that you have to be Christian or you go to hell. Similar to what many religions believe.

Hence, in a word, to succinctly state my answer, to set forth my beliefs and thoughts: No.
Jews have a duty to be ''ohr la'goyim'' i.e. a ''light unto the nations'', setting a good example in how one should live ones life in terms of morality, justice and helping the world generally.
Reply 793
Mr1

You don't 'become chosen'...you kind of are or aren't. And if you aren't it doesn't mean you get a worse life or whatever. It means you don't have to follow as many commandments etc.
The general idea with conversion is that it's only for people who were kind of born with a Jewish soul or however you want to put it, but their mother isn't Jewish. So they were one of the 'chosen people' from the start but just kinda got it confirmed/made official by conversion.
Reply 794
i don't like the term 'jew'
i hate being called a 'jew', as it can be said in a malicious way. jew just sounds so horrible.
Reply 795
Mr1

no, the convertion process is made hard, and not forced or advertised to people, so that only true believers and people that TRULY want to become jewish can.
and most of these converters do tend to become more orthodox than jewish-born people.
its not our job to force our religion on other people
Reply 796
amosharper
There's a lot I don;t know about modern Judaism, or opinions therein, that I'd like to find out:

- Who was Jesus?

- Is there a heaven and hell? If so, are they immediate?

- How will the Messiah be recognised? Why does this not fit Jesus?

- What would Jesus benefit from claiming deity?

- Revelation - trustworthy?

- 'This is my Son with whom I am well pleased' / Temple Curtain ripping on Jesus' death / miracles - are these lies?

I appreciate a great deal of this comes down to opinion, but I'd like to hear it.

Thanks

- Amos

jesus was a jewish man, just like any other.
no there is no heaven or hell. jewish people believe in the afterlife. our bodies need to be preserved so that when the messiah comes, they are there. thats why we can't be cremated.
im not really qualified to answer these questions. i dont know about jesus really.
jazzzy
i don't like the term 'jew'
i hate being called a 'jew', as it can be said in a malicious way. jew just sounds so horrible.

So what would you prefer? Jew is the Anglicised version of "Yehudi" which is the Hebrew for Jew.
Reply 798
smellielli
So what would you prefer? Jew is the Anglicised version of "Yehudi" which is the Hebrew for Jew.

something that doesnt sound so horrible; like its being spat out.
yeh but the difference is that 'yehudi' doesnt sound at all bad.
id just prefer to be called jewish, not 'a jew'
jazzzy
something that doesnt sound so horrible; like its being spat out.
yeh but the difference is that 'yehudi' doesnt sound at all bad.
id just prefer to be called jewish, not 'a jew'

Each to their own. Personally don't mind being called a Jew.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending