The Student Room Group

Feminism uses oppression of women in the east as an excuse.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/politics_views/183531/25_most_sexist_laws_around

This is a link showing the 25 most sexist laws to women around. However notice how they are all in the east/outside of the west. We all know how oppressive places outside the west are too women. On the other hand. Why have we not heard about any feminist/feminist group campaign or protest about these womens rights?

I have heard about many stupid and very trivial things feminists nowadays fight for. Many have heard about feminists trying to ban the word bossy (if they get so offended by a word which is not oppressive/sexist and they try to ban it. It says a lot doesn't it?) And things such as protesting that video games are oppressive to women (going by their logic, they would also be oppressive to men).

How do they manage to fight for these trivial things? Its because they claim they are oppressed when they are not. They use the oppression of woman in the east as an excuse to claim they are oppressed, so they can then fight about trivial things like such as the ones stated.

Women in the west are one of the most privileged and yet claim that they are oppressed because women in the east are. To me this just shows that feminists want superiority over men

I am all for the liberation of women in places like that of the east, but then feminists wonder why people do not like them so much.

Scroll to see replies

Your views on this?
Original post by MenAreHumanToo
However notice how they are all in the east/outside of the west.

Where else are they gonna be?
Original post by Skip_Snip
Where else are they gonna be?

??

I dont see the point of quoting a location.

I asked about your thoughts on the subject
??

I dont see the point of quoting a location.

I asked about your thoughts on the subject

Why would they not say where the laws come from? If it just said "the twenty-five most sexist laws" without a context, what would the point in that be?

My thoughts are that those countries are ridiculous and need to sort themselves out.
One of the reasons I have a hard time associating myself with feminism in the West.
Why would they not say where the laws come from? If it just said "the twenty-five most sexist laws" without a context, what would the point in that be?

My thoughts are that those countries are ridiculous and need to sort themselves out.

Ok first of all you are missing the point. Im pointing out that women are most oppressed in places like the east (including the east itself). Since the most 25 sexist law around are in these places, its just backing up my point.

As for your last part. I cant believe you just said that.

Btw, are you a feminist
Original post by jedanselemyia
One of the reasons I have a hard time associating myself with feminism in the West.

I see what you mean.

Are you originated from the east?
As for your last part. I cant believe you just said that.

Btw, are you a feminist

Why? Looking at those laws, they clearly do need to sort themselves out.

Depends what you mean. I believe that women deserve equality, so yes.
Why? Looking at those laws, they clearly do need to sort themselves out.

Depends what you mean. I believe that women deserve equality, so yes.

Wow,

I hope you're joking.

Women are oppressed in the east
You say

Then you say you are a feminist. WTF??

Thank you for proving my point

wow
Wow,

I hope you're joking.

Women are oppressed in the east
You say

Then you say you are a feminist. WTF??

Thank you for proving my point

wow

I'm not following what you mean? Women are clearly being oppressed in the East, so those places need to sort themselves out.
I'm not following what you mean? Women are clearly being oppressed in the East, so those places need to sort themselves out.

So feminism is about equality for women yes?

You cannot say that those countries which oppress women need to sort them selves out. The only thing that can do that is feminists since they fight for womens equality.

This proves my point stated in my op
Original post by jedanselemyia

Because it focuses on crap like "fat shaming" instead of real issues like in the east?
Because it focuses on crap like "fat shaming" instead of real issues like in the east?

Could you please say why you believe the countries where women are oppressed should sort the problem out themselves even though you are a feminist
Just because women are MORE oppressed (in general) in the East, dosnt mean you can say "therefore no oppression occurs in the West".

That would be like saying "On average, most people in the East, in the LDC's, are poor, thus by comparison, there are no poor people in the West."

Can you see the fallacy in your logic?
Could you please say why you believe the countries where women are oppressed should sort the problem out themselves even though you are a feminist

Because they have no excuse not to sort themselves out. It's the twenty-first century, they shouldn't need the presence of feminism to sort out their horrific laws.
Because they have no excuse not to sort themselves out. It's the twenty-first century, they shouldn't need the presence of feminism to sort out their horrific laws.

That sounds stupid. You might as well be saying that to the women in the west that were oppressed in the 20th century. Wow

So, as a feminist, which you claim to be advocating equal rights to women, you would not want to help oppressed women to have equal rights?

You either are a feminist, that just backed up my point stated in the OP/Title

Or

You are just stupid
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
Just because women are MORE oppressed (in general) in the East, dosnt mean you can say "therefore no oppression occurs in the West".

That would be like saying "On average, most people in the East, in the LDC's, are poor, thus by comparison, there are no poor people in the West."

Can you see the fallacy in your logic?

Show me how women in the west are oppressed
I see what you mean.

Are you originated from the east?

I am half African.
Take this woman for example:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/paris-marathon-gambian-mother-captivates-crowds-by-walking-20kg-water-container-head-1496271
What she did relates much more with me.

Fat shaming isn't such a crap issue but that's what I think yeah.
For example, we got this issue with the pink tax enforced on women by making women's razors, period pads and tampons more expensive. Yeah it sucks. But what about girls in Ethiopia who miss up to one week of school because of their period? Pads there are really expensive so they have to use cloth, sometimes dirt or even nothing. NGOs like The Trampled Rose enable people to donate to buy menstrual supplies for example. To me that's much more important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending