The Student Room Group

Consulting salaries (progression)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brownclown
Will definitely being doing art then

confused, you mean yes or no? do a language defo, and pick up maths if you can, can be self taught
[QUOTE=welcometoib;57280555]confused, you mean yes or no? do a language defo, and pick up maths if you can, can be self taught

I will definitely take art A level aha. I'm an aspiring polyglot so I'll learn a few languages just won't have an A level in them
Original post by welcometoib
was it one of the rivals or boutique consulting? please pm details, we were talking about this like last month a lot haha! sick guy, i think you are an example on here for people who aspire to their dream but may suffer setbacks sometimes, gg bro.

Original post by M1011
Ta, was after the move for awhile. I moved firm to make it happen though, got a bit more ££ but that wasn't really a factor.

Would be interested in hearing how you did it as well! I'm having quite the existential crisis about my results not going well atm, a reasoned mind/successful voice would be very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is a geography degree from Oxbridge one of those 'micky mouse' degrees then? like mentioned earlier in the thread.
Original post by xXxSharkxXx
Is a geography degree from Oxbridge one of those 'micky mouse' degrees then? like mentioned earlier in the thread.

no, pretty much anything from oxbridge is solid
Is Nottingham uni a v v small chance of Management / Strategy consulting? (Note i realise MBB is v unrealistic, but moreso in regards for Big 4 / Accenture / Smaller boutiques like LEK, AT Kearney) and not to mention recently acquired big 4 strategy houses (Strategy& + Parthenon + Monitor)?

]
Original post by mandem2k11
Is Nottingham uni a v v small chance of Management / Strategy consulting? (Note i realise MBB is v unrealistic, but moreso in regards for Big 4 / Accenture / Smaller boutiques like LEK, AT Kearney) and not to mention recently acquired big 4 strategy houses (Strategy& + Parthenon + Monitor)?

]

Strategy houses and MBB are both very tough but I know a few grads with Firsts, solid extra curriculars and Goldman/Morgan Stanley internships that have broken in from Notts.

Big 4 is still very competitive (especially Deloitte S&O) but more doable from Notts. Accenture is realistic.

I'm off to Notts myself dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Strategy houses and MBB are both very tough but I know a few grads with Firsts, solid extra curriculars and Goldman/Morgan Stanley internships that have broken in from Notts.

Big 4 is still very competitive (especially Deloitte S&O) but more doable from Notts. Accenture is realistic.

I'm off to Notts myself dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah im just entering 3rd year! got big 4internship, tons of good ecs / work experience, degrees now on a 2:2 though lol which is v peak. If your interested in consulting id recommend joining 180 degrees consulting (message me for more info) which we're hoping to form some links with the strategy/management consulting sides of the big 4 and other consultancies
(edited 8 years ago)
ah im just entering 3rd year! got big 4internship, tons of good ecs / work experience, degrees now on a 2:2 though lol which is v peak. If your interested in consulting id recommend joining 180 degrees consulting (message me for more info) which we're hoping to form some links with the strategy/management consulting sides of the big 4 and other consultancies

bro where the **** you been lol, been like a year since we last spoke! pm
In terms of consulting how presitigious is consulting at Accenture? Obviously not on par with MBB but is it still highly regarded?
How would MBB, Oliver Wyman, LEK, Big four, Accenture be ranked in terms of prestige?
Original post by consultingdude
In terms of consulting how presitigious is consulting at Accenture? Obviously not on par with MBB but is it still highly regarded?
How would MBB, Oliver Wyman, LEK, Big four, Accenture be ranked in terms of prestige?

I'll give it a crack. Accenture isn't 'prestigious' as in affords one the brand name to move into Private Equity/Venture Capital or become a senior leader within an organisation in half the time but it has a recognisable name. If you don't land anything at the top end - it's a solid bet.

I'll have a crack at this - in the UK:

McKinsey, BCG
Bain
(big gap)
Deloitte S&O/Deloitte Monitor
Oliver Wyman, LEK, Roland Berger
Strategy&
Parthenon-EY
(gap)
OC&C
AT Kearney
Marakon
Simon-Kuchers
(gap)
PwC
Accenture
EY
KPMG
IBM

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I'll give it a crack. Accenture isn't 'prestigious' as in affords one the brand name to move into Private Equity/Venture Capital or become a senior leader within an organisation in half the time but it has a recognisable name. If you don't land anything at the top end - it's a solid bet.

I'll have a crack at this - in the UK:

McKinsey, BCG
Bain
(big gap)
Deloitte S&O/Deloitte Monitor
Oliver Wyman, LEK, Roland Berger
Strategy&
Parthenon-EY
(gap)
OC&C
AT Kearney
Marakon
Simon-Kuchers
(gap)
PwC
Accenture
EY
KPMG
IBM

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow really? I wouldn't have thought Accenture or PwC would be this low? I always regarded Accenture as a solid second tier consilting firm.
Wow really? I wouldn't have thought Accenture or PwC would be this low? I always regarded Accenture as a solid second tier consilting firm.

They are but this ranking is based on 'prestige' not necessarily the relative strengths of each. PwC consulting doesn't really compete in the same deals as Deloitte, Oliver Wyman etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

IMO:

MBB

Deloitte/monitor deloitte
At Kearney, Oliver Wyman, Parthenon EY, Strategy& PWC

OC&C,, LEK, Accenture, Marakon, PWC normal, Deloitte normal, Simon

IBM, KPMG, EY,

it must be said it is a really grey area. the main distinction is MBB >>>>>> Deloitte >> the strategy houses of pwc/ey .

Then its a grey area really but really the main strategy boutiques tend to be above the more tech focused firms and acturial firms
IMO:

MBB

Deloitte/monitor deloitte
At Kearney, Oliver Wyman, Parthenon EY, Strategy& PWC

OC&C,, LEK, Accenture, Marakon, PWC normal, Deloitte normal, Simon

IBM, KPMG, EY,

it must be said it is a really grey area. the main distinction is MBB >>>>>> Deloitte >> the strategy houses of pwc/ey .

Then its a grey area really but really the main strategy boutiques tend to be above the more tech focused firms and acturial firms

putting oc and c that low is mental, extremely prestigious and if salary is important, have the highest starting in consulting.
putting oc and c that low is mental, extremely prestigious and if salary is important, have the highest starting in consulting.

Speaking of which what is the salary of a graduate role in oc&c and how does it compare with MBB Accenture and Big four?
Speaking of which what is the salary of a graduate role in oc&c and how does it compare with MBB Accenture and Big four?

dont know exact oc and c salary, just know its the highest out of all the ones listed in one of the posts above, which are essentially the top ones in the country. mbb is between 38-42 i believe, maybe little less. accenture is 31k starting, then they give 5k bonuses in each of your first two years, so technically 41k guaranteed i guess?

ey is highest starting iirc, deloitte is maybe 33ish, pwc 30+2 sign on i think, may be 31 instead.

agreed tbf id put up one above (i thought i did my bad!)
agreed tbf id put up one above (i thought i did my bad!)

OC&C, Marakon and LEK are miles ahead of ACN in terms of prestige, it's quite insulting to put them in the same tier man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
I'm deffo going into this route, and aiming the top starting salaries at the top firms no doubt.

I am predicted 3A*2A in maths, further maths, epq, chemistry, economics. (confident for this in the summer).

I will either be studying Mathematics with Statistical Finance at Imperial College, or MMorse at Warwick.

Both are top target unis so i am feeling good about my chances.

Going to a lot of networking events soon, hopefully get a better idea of this process.
Cheers guys!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending