The Student Room Group

Consulting salaries (progression)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welcometoib
yeah thats piss easy, x equals y in the end, just making things more complicated then gcse maths, its all the same really isnt it

#troof
I was taking a look on glassdoor at the different consultants and what they offer. The Big 4 seem to offer a lot less than smaller consultants. Is this true or are the numbers skewed?
What is mckinsey Bain bcg oc&c starting salary? Do consultancy firms have bonuses for analysts?
Original post by consultingdude
What is mckinsey Bain bcg oc&c starting salary? Do consultancy firms have bonuses for analysts?

You have eyes, read the OP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would a pharmacy degree be suitable? And if a person applies after their pre reg year as a qualified pharmacist who wants to apply to MBB or even the big 4?

Will i be disadvantaged compared to traditional candidates? And aslo what do i need to do to improve my chances?

Thanks!
Original post by sachinisgod
Would a pharmacy degree be suitable? And if a person applies after their pre reg year as a qualified pharmacist who wants to apply to MBB or even the big 4?

Will i be disadvantaged compared to traditional candidates? And aslo what do i need to do to improve my chances?

Thanks!

No, as long as your uni brand name is strong, you have strong ECs/volunteering/work experience and your academics are strong. Seen quite a lot of doctors on LinkedIn join MBB lately, so wouldn't imagine Pharmacy would put you at a disadvantage.

Big 4 is quite a lot easier than MBB in that they don't care about brand name to nearly the same extent - this doesn't apply to the top tier strat segments of the big 4 however (Strategy&, Monitor Deloitte etc.).

Tbh, they don't care about your degree so long as it's a respected one. You could possibly indicate a preference for more healthcare based cases or even a healthcare team at some of these places but I'm not really knowledgeable about that aspect.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
No, as long as your uni brand name is strong, you have strong ECs/volunteering/work experience and your academics are strong. Seen quite a lot of doctors on LinkedIn join MBB lately, so wouldn't imagine Pharmacy would put you at a disadvantage.

Big 4 is quite a lot easier than MBB in that they don't care about brand name to nearly the same extent - this doesn't apply to the top tier strat segments of the big 4 however (Strategy&, Monitor Deloitte etc.).

Tbh, they don't care about your degree so long as it's a respected one. You could possibly indicate a preference for more healthcare based cases or even a healthcare team at some of these places but I'm not really knowledgeable about that aspect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats the thing. I mean Im in my 4th year at Bradford but with Pharmacy whichever uni you do pharmacy in its the same level like medicine. but I dont know because of Bradford I would be at a automatic disadvantage. I thought doing Pharmacy which is a rigorous degree, would have meant its a respected one?

Also when you mean WE, you mean consultancy WE? Obv as im in a healthcare field, all my WE is in pharmacy and dentistry based. My A levels are decent AABB, got good EC etc.

I just wanted to know im not wasting my time applying for consulting route if its a dead end due to my profile lol

PS. Also I plan to do the MBA after few years of working so i thought Consulting would fit that path
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by sachinisgod
Thats the thing. I mean Im in my 4th year at Bradford but with Pharmacy whichever uni you do pharmacy in its the same level like medicine. but I dont know because of Bradford I would be at a automatic disadvantage. I thought doing Pharmacy which is a rigorous degree, would have meant its a respected one?

Also when you mean WE, you mean consultancy WE? Obv as im in a healthcare field, all my WE is in pharmacy and dentistry based. My A levels are decent AABB, got good EC etc.

I just wanted to know im not wasting my time applying for consulting route if its a dead end due to my profile lol

PS. Also I plan to do the MBA after few years of working so i thought Consulting would fit that path

Bradford would be a slight disadvantage to your profile, have you thought about doing a Master's at a top uni? That doesn't mean you'd be auto-rejected, they may just have to look mare carefully at the other parts of your application. That's true it is a rigorous degree but MBB tend to be quite elitist about university name.

No, I mean any form of WE. It can't just be a 'get the tea and biscuits' kind of placement either. You need to show objective results that you have delivered during your time on placement. It'd also be great if you had top brand names (IB internships, F500 companies, FTSE100 companies etc.) on your CV.

You'll never know your chances until you apply, so just go for it. Your A-level results just meet the entry reqs for MBB/Big 4 (AAB in top 3) so they're decent but not brilliant.

Yeah, that's the same plan I have too.
Original post by Princepieman
Bradford would be a slight disadvantage to your profile, have you thought about doing a Master's at a top uni? That doesn't mean you'd be auto-rejected, they may just have to look mare carefully at the other parts of your application. That's true it is a rigorous degree but MBB tend to be quite elitist about university name.

No, I mean any form of WE. It can't just be a 'get the tea and biscuits' kind of placement either. You need to show objective results that you have delivered during your time on placement. It'd also be great if you had top brand names (IB internships, F500 companies, FTSE100 companies etc.) on your CV.

You'll never know your chances until you apply, so just go for it. Your A-level results just meet the entry reqs for MBB/Big 4 (AAB in top 3) so they're decent but not brilliant.

Yeah, that's the same plan I have too.

I do end up with a Masters anyway (Mpharm) when i graduate so i didnt think of doing another Masters on top! lol

Hmm the thing is ive decided on an alternative career path to pharmacy only recently and explored my options. It would be virtually impossible for me to get any sort of internship in Financial sector before my year long placement at Lloyds Pharmacy Group which starts in July and I graduate in May.

I have nothing to lose really, Ill apply with the best intentions this time next year and see what happens. Thank you for the advice tho! and Goodluck with your applications :smile:
Original post by fuuji
This vastly overstated, you can't do whatever degree you want. You're not going to Mckinsey or IBD with fine art at UCL, gender studies at Cambridge or film studies at Warwick. Particularly Warwick, they're only a good school for a few departments, a lot of *******s from my sixth form went to warwick for **** degrees, it's not like imperial where basically all their departments are respected.

I'm in NYC and have had colleagues in bulge bracket IB with art history majors from Princeton, English degrees from Yale etc. Banking isn't that technical, you just need high school math and you need to be a wiz in excel. In addition to the "pedigree" of your school and 3.8 GPA and above, it's more about your network and how well you interview.
Original post by FnkyChld213
I'm in NYC and have had colleagues in bulge bracket IB with art history majors from Princeton, English degrees from Yale etc. Banking isn't that technical, you just need high school math and you need to be a wiz in excel. In addition to the "pedigree" of your school and 3.8 GPA and above, it's more about your network and how well you interview.

Exactly, IB is mostly excel and PowerPoint, it's not academic or intellectually difficult, just very long hours and very high pressure environments

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending