The Student Room Group

Social Anthropology in SOAS or Sussex?

Hi everyone,

I'm a student from India. I've got an offer to undertake a Master's in Social Anthropology at SOAS, Sussex as well as Kent.

I'm slightly confused as to which university is best suited as I'm not aware of the ground realities. I'm thinking in terms of course satisfaction as well as financial security (I don't want to go dead broke).

I'm aware of SOAS's reputation for its niche subjects and given the environment, I think its a great opportunity but truth be told, the university ranking as well as employment opportunities worries me a li'l.

whereas Sussex has offered me a small scholarship and although they're development focused which is not really what interests me, it still is a good school and I'm in two minds.

Any suggestions. I'll be really glad if anyone from these unis can give me some of their experiences.
Thanks!!
have you been to their open days?
Reply 2
Original post by gennie_ama
have you been to their open days?

No, I haven't. That would require me to fly into UK just for those days which would be quite difficult at this point.
Hence i've resorted to possible avenues such as getting info from people who have been to either of the universities
Oh i didnt realize you didnt live in the UK...
If sussex is offering you a scolarship then they may be the place
but soas is also a good place for anthropology
Reply 5
Thanks for your help.
Reply 6
Original post by Nkipgen
Hi everyone,

I'm a student from India. I've got an offer to undertake a Master's in Social Anthropology at SOAS, Sussex as well as Kent.

I'm slightly confused as to which university is best suited as I'm not aware of the ground realities. I'm thinking in terms of course satisfaction as well as financial security (I don't want to go dead broke).

I'm aware of SOAS's reputation for its niche subjects and given the environment, I think its a great opportunity but truth be told, the university ranking as well as employment opportunities worries me a li'l.

whereas Sussex has offered me a small scholarship and although they're development focused which is not really what interests me, it still is a good school and I'm in two minds.

Any suggestions. I'll be really glad if anyone from these unis can give me some of their experiences.
Thanks!!

Hey, I suppose you may have made a decision by now. I'm currently facing the same dilemma between the two options, which one did you end up choosing and why? What are your thought on your program so far?
Reply 7
Original post by aafros1
Hey, I suppose you may have made a decision by now. I'm currently facing the same dilemma between the two options, which one did you end up choosing and why? What are your thought on your program so far?

Well, I got offers from other places like UCL but I ended up choosing SOAS. Sussex with scholarship was very tempting but I chose SOAS because of the approach they were offering I guess. Sussex is more development oriented. I'm halfway through my program, its very intensive at SOAS and engaging with a lot of activities happening all around. I'd definitely recommend it.
Hi, I'm an Indian student aspiring to do a Masters in Anthropology. I'm stuck between Sussex and SOAS just as you were at some point. Are you now working in India or elsewhere? Wanted to understand how the course at SOAS was and the employment opportunities. Do let me know if I can drop an email? That'll be so much help.Thanks,Avantika

Quick Reply

Latest