The Student Room Group

Carbonyl group

Hello there

I'm trying to identify the carbonyl groups in the following 4 molecules.
I can easily find the location of the functional carbonyl group in molecules A and C (the top group in both cases), but am unable to locate the group in either B or D. It isn't obvious to me where this group is hiding; it is within the CH2OH group in molecule B, and within the CHO group in molecule D?

I believe there is supposed to be a carbonyl group hidden somewhere in each of these molecules.

Please might anyone be able to point them out to me?

Thank you very much
(edited 8 years ago)
Im having trouble locating said molecules
Can you post photos/pictures of the actual molecules so we can help you...?
Dem carbonyl groups sure are hidden ...

... so are the molecules.
Reply 4
carbonyl.jpg

Thank you for your help!
Original post by Ggdf
carbonyl.jpg

Thank you for your help!

There is no carbonyl group in B and in D it's the group at the top, in turquoise, an aldehyde. Aldehydes, which are always as the end of chains, are written as CHO to distinguish them from COH (alcohol) groups.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by EdmundWoodstock
There is no carbonyl group in B and in D it's the group at the top, in turquoise, an aldehyde. Terminal carbonyls are written as CHO to distinguish them from COH (alcohol) groups.

Thank you very much, I was unaware that the carbonyl group could be represented in that way. Would I deduce that it is an aldehyde group because of the 'CH' part of the 'CHO'?
Original post by Ggdf
Thank you very much, I was unaware that the carbonyl group could be represented in that way. Would I deduce that it is an aldehyde group because of the 'CH' part of the 'CHO'?

Yes, whenever you see a CHO it's always an aldehyde.

Quick Reply

Latest