AQA English Language B Language Investigation Coursework 2015

Watch
Dhanihk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys! Thought I'd make this thread for anyone struggling with their Language Investigation Coursework, and for others who have already done their coursework to offer help.

---------------

Could someone give me advice on whether my current idea would work?

I was thinking about analysing the language in my own stories (I haven't chosen a specific focus yet), and how I've developed my language in terms of narrative, genre, lexis, grammar etc. as I've grown up. I've found quite a lot of stories I've written from when I was about 5 years old, through to now (I'm 17 currently). Would this work as a focus? And if so, how many stories would you suggest I use as data? If I went with this idea, I would then produce a guide of how to improve story writing.

My fallback is analysing the language used in history books aimed at children (e.g. Horrible Histories) compared to A-Level or degree-level History books. I feel like this idea is much safer, not sure what I'd do for the inform text though.
notcoolnerd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I'm an A2 student who's about to finish the A-Level course. I'm a little confused, are you just beginning your A2 course?
Dhanihk
Rep:
?
(Original post by notcoolnerd)
Hi, I'm an A2 student who's about to finish the A-Level course. I'm a little confused, are you just beginning your A2 course?
Oh yeah, I realise this could be quite confusing

Yup we started A2 early, Monday was my first A2 Language lesson. Not sure if other schools do this.

Do you have any tips for coursework?
notcoolnerd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
oh wow, you guys begin your coursework early! we didnt start ours until christmas! I will give some advice (our coursework marks were accidentally made available for us- pre-moderation of course, so they could change! but i did pretty well so maybe i ca help a bit) but firstly, whats the format of your coursework? ours was an investigation of 2500ish words, and a media text to inform/advise of 1000 words. the investigation could be on gender, language change, or child language, and the media text had to have some link with the investigation topic that we chose. does that sound like you?
Dhanihk
Rep:
?
oh wow, you guys begin your coursework early! we didnt start ours until christmas! I will give some advice (our coursework marks were accidentally made available for us- pre-moderation of course, so they could change! but i did pretty well so maybe i ca help a bit) but firstly, whats the format of your coursework? ours was an investigation of 2500ish words, and a media text to inform/advise of 1000 words. the investigation could be on gender, language change, or child language, and the media text had to have some link with the investigation topic that we chose. does that sound like you?
Yup pretty sure that's the same, except our Investigation can be on anything language-related - I guess your school just wanted your year to be more specific? And yeah I'm not sure exactly why we're starting so early, I think they want us to work on it over the summer.

Any advice would be wonderful, thank you
notcoolnerd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you have any specific questions at this stage?

Well my investigation title was: How have the language and techniques used in war reporting inbroadsheet newspapers changed between 1914 and 2003?and my media text was an agony aunt article- ghost writing for Virginia Ironside from the independent, helping a grandmother understand why her granddaughter's changing language was not something to be worried about.

my main advice at this stage, would be not to limit what you want to do yet. I knew the topic area for me would be language change, but our college wanted us to use one of the questions they suggested. I didn't want to do this, as I thought something more original would be better, plus I wanted to write about something I was interested in. So I did lots of research, and the first few attempts I did to find articles without too many linguistic variables was really difficult, and my ideas were rejected multiple times. so persevere if your first idea doesn't work out. also, work through your investigation in stages. spend a week on each section, except for the analysis. that's the longest bit, so id say spend 2-3 weeks on that bit. and make sure you plan!

for the media text, we had to do our draft in timed conditions which was ridiculous, but it helped to get something down on paper. plan that one too if you like. to get the top band they want originality. for a practice piece on a different topic (child reading) I wrote a news article but began it in Russian, to demonstrate how language looks foreign to a child. I wrote this as my first ever attempt at a mock piece of coursework, and got 28/30... so originality for your short piece is really important and is what got me top marks. for the coursework, a lot of it is ticking boxes. you just have to stick to the criteria, and there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get top band. I helped a few people last year who ended up getting As, so if you want me to read a paragraph or something I'm more than happy to. I realise it sounds like I have a really high opinion of myself, I don't. I just got on with this particular piece of coursework really well (well hopefully at least!) and I'm available over summer so it's no bother
Dhanihk
Rep:
?
Do you have any specific questions at this stage?

Well my investigation title was: How have the language and techniques used in war reporting inbroadsheet newspapers changed between 1914 and 2003?and my media text was an agony aunt article- ghost writing for Virginia Ironside from the independent, helping a grandmother understand why her granddaughter's changing language was not something to be worried about.

my main advice at this stage, would be not to limit what you want to do yet. I knew the topic area for me would be language change, but our college wanted us to use one of the questions they suggested. I didn't want to do this, as I thought something more original would be better, plus I wanted to write about something I was interested in. So I did lots of research, and the first few attempts I did to find articles without too many linguistic variables was really difficult, and my ideas were rejected multiple times. so persevere if your first idea doesn't work out. also, work through your investigation in stages. spend a week on each section, except for the analysis. that's the longest bit, so id say spend 2-3 weeks on that bit. and make sure you plan!

for the media text, we had to do our draft in timed conditions which was ridiculous, but it helped to get something down on paper. plan that one too if you like. to get the top band they want originality. for a practice piece on a different topic (child reading) I wrote a news article but began it in Russian, to demonstrate how language looks foreign to a child. I wrote this as my first ever attempt at a mock piece of coursework, and got 28/30... so originality for your short piece is really important and is what got me top marks. for the coursework, a lot of it is ticking boxes. you just have to stick to the criteria, and there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to get top band. I helped a few people last year who ended up getting As, so if you want me to read a paragraph or something I'm more than happy to. I realise it sounds like I have a really high opinion of myself, I don't. I just got on with this particular piece of coursework really well (well hopefully at least!) and I'm available over summer so it's no bother
Wow, I didn't expect so much aha, that's brilliant! Thank you for all your help, I'll definitely heed your advice when it comes to planning/writing it. And don't worry, I don't think it sounds like you have a high opinion of yourself - I think it's great you want to help others with their work. I might take you up on that offer when I get round to writing it in the summer, thanks!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (437)
56.24%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.76%

Watched Threads