Getting involved in politics Watch

RF_PineMarten
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Over the course of the general election there was all sorts of talk about non voters. A common argument was that people should get more involved in politics rather than abstaining from it, even the politically disillusioned.

I was just wondering something. Just how could you go about doing this? And importantly, what sort of skills would you need to get involved in politics?
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The number one skill is passion.

Don't be deterred by fancy words, extensive vocabulary or confusing legislation. Stick to your beliefs and lobby for them. Whether that's working with environmental groups, LGBT societies, civil rights activists etc doesn't matter.

Get involved. Make a difference.

Plenty of people are too content with just existing.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
https://home.38degrees.org.uk/

http://www.thepeoplesassembly.org.uk/

The biggest skill is not have a life ruining fear of people.

So instead I just donate money to groups like the above and makes myself angry and fed up by being futilely angry at the world.
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nothing. Lack of voting is an Anglosphere thing.

UK - 66%
Isle of Man/Manx - 52%
US - 58%
Canada - 61% (Quebec has higher turnouts, 74% in 2012)

compare it to..
Quebec ^
Puerto Rico - 68%
Azerbaijan - 71%

and all of the above use FPTP
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Watch Commons and Lords debates. It's shocking how few do and yet claim to understand how the place works or mouth off on how little MPs care.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)
Over the course of the general election there was all sorts of talk about non voters. A common argument was that people should get more involved in politics rather than abstaining from it, even the politically disillusioned.

I was just wondering something. Just how could you go about doing this? And importantly, what sort of skills would you need to get involved in politics?
You can join parties and get involved on the ground immediately. You could then work to rise up the local association that picks MP's ect..

To get into parliament the 3 routes are..

1) Get a proper job and then stand for parliament

2) Become a councillor and then using your contacts get a chance to stand for parliament

3) Become a SPAD for somebody of importance and then be parachuted into a safe seat
SeaPony
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Firstly you need to know where you stand politically and then just read the news believe me if you are for politics you will feel a lot of emotions when you read the headlines.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's all about passion and belief. Intelligence, of course, is important - but just because you may not have an Oxbridge education, don't let that stop you. We need grass roots politics in this country.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by RFowler)

Principled, caring folk such as you feeling so disillusioned by politics that you don't vote is Exactly what the Tories want. I'm no labour fan, in fact I'm incredibly frustrated by their refusal to be a left wing party. But the Tories biggest weapon is to make most people so disillusioned they give up caring. Don't let them have their way.
Mackay
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Apathy is the enemy of the world.
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SeaPony)
Firstly you need to know where you stand politically and then just read the news believe me if you are for politics you will feel a lot of emotions when you read the headlines.
Especially when you're a kipper who believes every made up headline the daily Mail and express print.
The_Mighty_Bush
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its futile.
SeaPony
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Bornblue)
Especially when you're a kipper who believes every made up headline the daily Mail and express print.
And you believe every story in the Guardian and the Daily Mirror. Works both ways
username878267
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
And you believe every story in the Guardian and the Daily Mirror. Works both ways
No not really. The daily mirror is on the same level as the mail- both tabloid and sensationalist but the guardian is a broadsheet of a far greater quality, depth and analysis (even if you disagree with their arguments). I disagree with the times a lot but recognise it's a far better quality paper than the mirror which is closer to my views. It's ridiculous to compare the guardian to the mail.

Besides the guardian is often too right wing for my liking and I disagree with them hugely on areas such as education.

But ukippers on the other hand tend to be sensationalist by nature so no wonder you bet found a home in the daily mail.
SeaPony
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Guardian too right wing!? What do you need Stalin's memoirs?
Gos123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Apathy isn't due to the voting system. It's a far more complex reason attributed to social and moral decline.
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gos123)
Apathy isn't due to the voting system. It's a far more complex reason attributed to social and moral decline.
What? Not voting is more moral than not.
Gos123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Falcatas)
What? Not voting is more moral than not.
Where the hell do you draw that conclusion? Voting is an a-moral act. It shows civic engagement, which could be considered morally commendable.
Falcatas
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Gos123)
Where the hell do you draw that conclusion? Voting is an a-moral act. It shows civic engagement, which could be considered morally commendable.
By the act of voting, each voter is saying: It is right and proper for some people, acting in the name of the State, to pass laws and to use violence to compel obedience to those laws if they are not obeyed.
You are basically saying "I support whomever wins to rule over myself and my fellow citizen."
The person you vote for doesn't even have to win. You are still partly to blame.
You legitimise the system that gives the authority for some people to subjugate others.

No one has the right to place one human being in a position of political power over another
SausageMan
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When I stumble upon a column by Michael White, it makes my skin crawl.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CkXPfVeqNG0 (Michael White on STV). For an example.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (88)
9.97%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (146)
16.53%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (127)
14.38%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.63%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed