A2 Classical Civilisations AQA 4C Predictions Watch

Heatherrose
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What are people's predictions for the exam on the 12th June? Also anyone have any advice for the 10 markers?
Arachnophobia
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
10 markers - how does Virgil make this passage exciting/dramatic/sad/emotional/interesting through his use of language etc etc
20 markers - gods and family
40 markers - one on Aeneas the (not quite complete) hero from Roman perspective and one on another topic!
Radicaliseurself
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agree with Arachnophobia on the 40 marker - from what I can see, there's been a question essentially asking whether Aeneas is good or bad every single year.

Write a good practise essay for that question - memorise it.

I'm predicting books 1/5 and 10/12 for options A and B. They haven't come up in the past 3 years.

Your 10 markers should follow a simple and clear structure. Each point should have its own paragraph and should refer back to the question (Virgil shows...). Point, quote and analyse - don't describe. Anything is fair game to use as a quote, so long as you can justify it with your evaluation.

Specifically pick up on things like epithets, similes, metaphors, personification, direct speech, apostrophes, etc.

Think about movement and pace, sounds, as well as visual imagery.

Identify verbs, adverbs, adjectives - those will be the sources of most of your quotes.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Heatherrose
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thanks both of you! I never know what to say in the 10markers and just end up writing complete an utter nonsense! I was thinking it could be books 1 or 5 for the first section but will look over 10 and 12 as well. hoping it all goes to plan
deepless
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Does anyone have a list of Latin words for the exam? Feel like my teacher didn't teach us as many as in my Greek units...
Lux9632
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Looking at past papers, there hasn't been anything focusing on relationships in the 40 mark essays yet, whether it's mortals and immortals, fathers and sons etc.. I think that may come up, either as a 40 or a 20
With the 10 markers, highlight everything relevant to the question that way it is clear to you what you need to foucs on.. e.g. how does virgil show a change in emotion.. Highlight all the relevant stuff and analyse it in relation to the question
jelly1995
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How long to spend on each question? Sorry I'm bugging out about the timings!
buddy_glass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How did it go guys?
Lazy2345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by buddy_glass)
How did it go guys?
Not bad thanks! is this the aeneid paper?
Alphascout1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Personally, I think it went really well. I chose Option A, the 5 marker was quite simple for me although the 10 marker did look like a repeat so I think I think did okay on that as I tend to lose marks on 10 markers, I mainly looked for features from English writing.
The 20 mark question was different so I did a comparison of Aeneas as a Homeric hero and Aeneas as a Roman hero. For Homeric aspects, I wrote about Aeneas's furor in Book 2 and desire for revenge on Helen also his reluctance to follow divine will as seen in Book 2 and Book 4. For the Roman aspects, I wrote about his religious piety, familial duty and concern for his men. I concluded that his Homeric aspects mean that Aeneas is not a complete Roman hero.

For the 40 mark question, I did the one on whether the Aeneid was merely Augustan propaganda or not (Option D). For the pro-Augustus parts I talked about Jupiter's prophesising Augustus bringing peace, the shield of Aeneas showing Augustus's victory at Actium as the centrepiece, the punishments in the Underworld reflecting Augustan moral laws and the character of Aeneas embodying Roman values.
My counter-argument was that the Aeneid was an epic to match Homer. Epic aspects I talked about were Aeneas as a hero, the love story with Dido, Turnus as a villain and divine intervention. I found good comparisons to pro-Augustus as Dido can be seen as Cleopatra so Aeneas is an anti-Antony, the use of gods legitimises Augustus as ruler as he has divine heritage, Aeneas represents Roman values and Turnus represents Homeric archaic heroic values so Aeneas defeating him shows Roman values are part of the new order. Therefore, this meant I concluded that the Aeneid was largely pro-Augustan propaganda.
Alphascout1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lazy2345)
Not bad thanks! is this the aeneid paper?
Yes it is, otherwise known as Roman Epic
Lazy2345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
should It be okay that I mainly argued that the Aeneid is roman propaganda?! or should I have weighted it evenly!
buddy_glass
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lazy2345)
should It be okay that I mainly argued that the Aeneid is roman propaganda?! or should I have weighted it evenly!
It's just a good idea to make a conclusion - whether that's conclusive or evenly weighted, if you've supported your conclusion they won't really mind what you conclude. I did the divine intervention question, but I would have concluded similarly if I'd done the propaganda question
Lazy2345
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by buddy_glass)
It's just a good idea to make a conclusion - whether that's conclusive or evenly weighted, if you've supported your conclusion they won't really mind what you conclude. I did the divine intervention question, but I would have concluded similarly if I'd done the propaganda question
ah okay cheers! I just thought crap I hadn't evenly weighted my argument and I freaked, but I guess it should be fine cause I have substantiated my argument properly and made my points! thanks for the reassurance
bethblur
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey guys! Did the paper today. Definitely went better than the Augustus one on Tuesday lol. Hoping it'll pull it up to secure me my A!
buddy_glass
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by bethblur)
Hey guys! Did the paper today. Definitely went better than the Augustus one on Tuesday lol. Hoping it'll pull it up to secure me my A!
Excellent news, glad to hear it! Was a good paper I think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.91%
No (223)
94.09%

Watched Threads