Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    Hmm, do MEDC only exist in Europe + USA and those 2 i mention
    well obviously not, but aint russia quite poor?

ReputationRep:
    I can't imagine Singapore being classed as an LEDC, but then again, I don't really know much about geography (just up to gcse level). Although part of it is quite rural, and 'run-down,' (on border Malaysia atleast) I certainly don't think it's an LEDC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    well obviously not, but aint russia quite poor?
    is it a poor country economically?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    is it a poor country economically?? :confused:
    i've no idea, quite confused at the moment...but yeah economically..

but i agree with your first post though, singapore must be a MEDC no way is it an LEDC..its got the same problems taht all "MEDC" countries has.

ReputationRep:
    Well Singapore Hospital and University looks so much better than Hong Kong
    Must be MEDC!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, do MEDC only exist in Europe + USA and those 2 i mention
    This debate is quite interesting. The terms LEDC and MEDC originated from the old notion of the Western (developed) world and the so-called 'Third World'. The terms are still widely used in geography and economics today, but it is becoming harder and harder to form such a hard and fast classification in today's world.

More recently, the term NIC (Newly Industrialised Country) has been added to the phrasebook and is used largely in reference to the so-called South-East Asian "Tiger Economies" of the Pacific Rim.

Outside of the established European nations and North America, I would say that Japan (obviously), Russia and Australia (and New Zealand) are the most obvious nations to which one would assign the status 'MEDC'.

Singapore is an odd one though, a British protectorate which has a very high standard of living and economic prosperity. To my mind, I would class it as an MEDC. I feel that it is different to the "Tiger Economies" in that it has, since colonial times, been a centre of prosperity in the region. To term it an NIC would be inappropriate (in my opinion). Whereas Taiwan, Malaysia, The Korean Republic etc (in my opinion) would be termed NICs.

In short, the system of a strict economic classification for countries is becoming less and less applicable and more difficult to determine. China would have been termed a LDC fifty years ago (the economic in LEDC/MEDC is a relatively new thing by the way). Nowadays, China is making huge steps towards wielding serious economic might - it has the largest middle class of any country in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    This debate is quite interesting. The terms LEDC and MEDC originated from the old notion of the Western (developed) world and the so-called 'Third World'. The terms are still widely used in geography and economics today, but it is becoming harder and harder to form such a hard and fast classification in today's world.

More recently, the term NIC (Newly Industrialised Country) has been added to the phrasebook and is used largely in reference to the so-called South-East Asian "Tiger Economies" of the Pacific Rim.

Outside of the established European nations and North America, I would say that Japan (obviously), Russia and Australia (and New Zealand) are the most obvious nations to which one would assign the status 'MEDC'.

Singapore is an odd one though, a British protectorate which has a very high standard of living and economic prosperity. To my mind, I would class it as an MEDC. I feel that it is different to the "Tiger Economies" in that it has, since colonial times, been a centre of prosperity in the region. To term it an NIC would be inappropriate (in my opinion). Whereas Taiwan, Malaysia, The Korean Republic etc (in my opinion) would be termed NICs.

In short, the system of a strict economic classification for countries is becoming less and less applicable and more difficult to determine. China would have been termed a LDC fifty years ago (the economic in LEDC/MEDC is a relatively new thing by the way). Nowadays, China is making huge steps towards wielding serious economic might - it has the largest middle class of any country in the world.
    nicely explained

ReputationRep:
    nicely explained
    Thankyou, this is one of the areas of geography which I really enjoy reading around. This is one of the questions to which there is no absolute answer and I find it so much more interesting than glaciation (which I have spent about 3 hours revising today ). If anybody has any other points on this issue, please raise them...

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, this is one of the areas of geography which I really enjoy reading around. This is one of the questions to which there is no absolute answer and I find it so much more interesting than glaciation (which I have spent about 3 hours revising today ). If anybody has any other points on this issue, please raise them...
    hehe, I remember looking through all that "Formation of blah blah etc" in gcse.....can't imagine what it's like in a-level!

ReputationRep:
    hehe, I remember looking through all that "Formation of blah blah etc" in gcse.....can't imagine what it's like in a-level!
    I can't speak for everyone, but I for one find the physical geography component an unparalleled chore. By contrast, the human geography element, in my opinion, is really interesting as (at its best) it can merge together sociology, history and economics.

ReputationRep:
    I can't speak for everyone, but I for one find the physical geography component an unparalleled chore. By contrast, the human geography element, in my opinion, is really interesting as (at its best) it can merge together sociology, history and economics.
    Taiwan is not a country

ReputationRep:
    Taiwan is not a country
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...es/1285915.stm

Fair enough. I wont bother opening a can of worms of Chechen-esque and Kashmir-esque proportions.

Weird that the factfile is headed 'country' though.

ReputationRep:
    Taiwan is not a country
    neither is hong kong, but it has its own economy. politically it is not but econmically it is seperated

ReputationRep:
    Explain...http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...es/1285915.stm
    no seriously, it really isnt. alot of places just includes it for convienece. (like they dont have to create a seprate catergory)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I ever said that Taiwan was a country though. Strange...

ReputationRep:
    you sort of implied it was by saying taiwan is an NIC

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fly By)
    neither is hong kong, but it has its own economy. politically it is not but econmically it is seperated
    you can describe Taiwan as an island (which is China's) full of people (people from China) who were scared of the communism and developed a self called 'country' but they never said it is independent because they r afraid of the military forces of China

Hong Kong was colonised by British government

2 different stories

Taiwan is not on the official List of Countries in UN

ReputationRep:
    I thought the Cs in MEDC, LEDC and NIC stands for country. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Apologies. For the purposes of geo-economic classification though (rather than nation status), Taiwan (as distinct from China/The Chinese Mainland if you like) is a prime example of an NIC and a Tiger Economy.

ReputationRep:
    you can describe Taiwan as an island (which is China's) full of people (people from China) who were scared of the communism and developed a self called 'country' but they never said it is independent because they r afraid of the military forces of China

Hong Kong was colonised by British government

2 different stories

Taiwan is not on the official List of Countries in UN
    :mad: like i said, politically its not a country! but in this context we are talkin about econimics...

i'm not tryin to say its a country

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.