Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, does anyone have any tips for section A from OCR psychology G544?
    I feel so stressed about it and I'm not sure of how to structure it...
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieGromald)
    Hey guys, does anyone have any tips for section A from OCR psychology G544?
    I feel so stressed about it and I'm not sure of how to structure it...
    specifically for the practical project I tend to write who what when where why and how down the side of the page, then cross them out as I do them, best way to make sure you dont forget anything

    Other than that just making sure you're extremely explicit, for example if they say like used a matched pairs, say how youre going to do it and then state "this is matched pairs design" cause otherwise you wont get the replicability marks even though you have used the correct design
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paige_ATL)
    specifically for the practical project I tend to write who what when where why and how down the side of the page, then cross them out as I do them, best way to make sure you dont forget anything

    Other than that just making sure you're extremely explicit, for example if they say like used a matched pairs, say how youre going to do it and then state "this is matched pairs design" cause otherwise you wont get the replicability marks even though you have used the correct design
    Thank you!!
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieGromald)
    Hey guys, does anyone have any tips for section A from OCR psychology G544?
    I feel so stressed about it and I'm not sure of how to structure it...
    You have to revise all the methods and know their strengths and weaknesses. Also have to know the stats test you'll use for each method. Practice writing operationalised hypotheses making sure you know the difference between a null/one tailed/two tailed. A tip for writing your practical project..write it in a similar way you learnt the G543 studies:
    Aim - specifically relating to the option you've chosen
    Sampling - how you'll recruit your participants
    Method - how they've told you to carry out research (independent measures/repeated/matched/observation/ correlation/self report)
    Ethics - how you obtained consent/confidentiality/overcoming deception/right to withdraw/protection
    Materials..if you used any
    Findings - how you'll gather your data, relating to the method (if it's correlation..you'll quantify and statistically analyse to establish a relationship between the variables, if it's an observation..event/time sampling)
    Stasticial test you'll use
    The type of data you'll collect..nominal/ordinal

    Also have to know a little about probability and p>0.05/type 1 and 2 errors

    Yeah, I think that's it for section A
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    My teacher has predicted:
    Either Correlation or Repeated measures for section A

    and....Physiological v Developmental
    Reductionism v Determinism
    Data
    Ecological validity
    Nature/nurture
    Observation method
    Longitudinal study

    For section B
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    Is stress inoculation therapy cognitive?
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    does anyone have the june 2014 past paper?
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    any websites to help revise for this?
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    Heya for part A

    We were taught

    My - materials used with specific examples
    Silly - sample used and sampling method
    Little - location and time
    Acronym - allocation to groups
    Encourages - ethics (this should be brief!!)
    Top - timings within procedure and groups etc
    Design - Data collected, how it would used and analysed
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abzz789)
    My teacher has predicted:
    Either Correlation or Repeated measures for section A

    and....Physiological v Developmental
    Reductionism v Determinism
    Data
    Ecological validity
    Nature/nurture
    Observation method
    Longitudinal study

    For section B
    Oh what thats so different to what we were told

    They were like we STRONGLY think that individual difference is going to come up
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mquinn)
    any websites to help revise for this?
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...dcQk8E-COko2kT

    some of the stuff she says is quite useful
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YasminAbdi)
    does anyone have the june 2014 past paper?
    There ya go
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf June 2014 G544 QP.pdf (635.7 KB, 242 views)
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    any predictions?for part A and b
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    In the strength and weakness of the approach do you have to give examples from different studies or does it not matter?
    Offline

    3
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegiggler)
    In the strength and weakness of the approach do you have to give examples from different studies or does it not matter?
    Wait is your question asking can we get away with giving 2 strengths of an approach from one study and a weakness from another ?
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PensAndPaper)
    Oh what thats so different to what we were told

    They were like we STRONGLY think that individual difference is going to come up
    And the moral of the story is...learn everything!
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PensAndPaper)
    There ya go
    Thanks!
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    how would I answer this question: If the researcher expects a significance level at p<0.05 but having carried out the inferential statistical test, the actual significance was found to be 0.07. What does this mean?

    What I say that the it means that the result is still significant? like a 0.05 probability???
    Offline

    19
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YasminAbdi)
    how would I answer this question: If the researcher expects a significance level at p<0.05 but having carried out the inferential statistical test, the actual significance was found to be 0.07. What does this mean?

    What I say that the it means that the result is still significant? like a 0.05 probability???
    p<0.05 means that the probability that the differences between the conditions occurred due to genuine factors is 95% therefore the probability that it was down to chance is 5% so in that case, you reject the null and accept the alternate hypothesis..so I'd imagine that 0.07 is still significant because that would be 7% insignificant and 93% significant...this part is so confusing
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    p<0.05 means that the probability that the differences between the conditions occurred due to genuine factors is 95% therefore the probability that it was down to chance is 5% so in that case, you reject the null and accept the alternate hypothesis..so I'd imagine that 0.07 is still significant because that would be 7% insignificant and 93% significant...this part is so confusing
    wait, but if its 0.07 isn't that more than 0.05 and so the results would be more than 5% due to chance so we would reject the alternate hypothesis?
 
 
 
Reply
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2016

2,945

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reply
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.