Advice for doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics at A-Level

Watch
Izzy SS
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey

Could anyone give me any advice about taking a-level sciences for both years?
I've heard a lot of scary things, made worse by the fact that I'm not doing maths.
Are there any tips / things that you wished you had done differently?

Thanks
Fannibal
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Izzy SS)
Hey

Could anyone give me any advice about taking a-level sciences for both years?
I've heard a lot of scary things, made worse by the fact that I'm not doing maths.
Are there any tips / things that you wished you had done differently?

Thanks
I've just done chemistry, maths, and biology for AS level. They're great subjects, really interesting and you go into much more detail than for GCSE. To do well and to benefit from learning them you should probably go over it again in your spare time, I didn't as I thought because I did well for GCSEs I'd sail through A-levels. You can't do this with chemistry, it is quite the unforgiving subject. If you're only going to do extra for one then this should be it. You need to learn the past papers off by heart before you'll feel ready for the exam but once you understand it everything slots into place.
Biology was pretty easy for me, nothing is hugely complicated and barely anything made me think too hard. Revision is still key, and the past papers are the way to do it but otherwise it will probably be fine.
If you're good at maths now, you'll be fine with maths for A-level, there's a step up but it's not a substantial as other subjects like chemistry and physics. You might need to go over a few things more than once before you've completely got it, but once that's done you'll be fine.
kelefi
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I took those subjects too (with maths though) at AS, and they were nice. they kept me interested but they are certainly a step up from GCSE. there isnt really a "jump", but as you progress through the year the things that you need to know will become harder (but youll be able to cope with it as it is a gradual increase in difficulty).

i advise that you focus on your weakest GCSE science, because thats where youll struggle most this year. for me i found biology harder than the other two, and i was surprised because at GCSE i was only 4-5 ums below in biology compared to chemistry and physics, but this year that gap increased a lot because i didnt realise the work load. there is a lot to cover this year, and likelihood is your teacher wont cover it well so revise yourself. its best to stay 2 lessons ahead of your teachers, that way you will be able to cement your knowledge in

in terms of the subjects themselves:
physics - easy subject because there is very little knowledge required, however it is maths intense (at least 50% of your marks will be in number related questions)
chemistry - easy for some, hard for others. the key is to understand what is going on, not just to memorise the textbook. past papers help a lot here, as exams pretty much never change.
biology - hard because there is so much to cover. keep on chipping away at biology from the start of AS (i recommend that after about a month of AS, you start doing biology for maybe 15 minutes a day)

the key thing is, if you dont get something then ASK QUESTIONS. dont think that you will do it by yourself, no matter how silly the question may be, teachers are invaluable fountains of exam related knowledge

good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions throughout the year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (327)
83.63%
No (64)
16.37%

Watched Threads