The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2015/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EpicBrum
I know they say be prepared to move as placements can be anywhere, but in reality is it a case of you not having much choice in location?

Im definitely not prepared to relocate. And id be a bit gutted if i somehow managed to get through and i then had to turn it down because they want me to work on the other side of the country.

Im in South Yorkshire for what its worth. So london is a no no, which is why im not bothering with certain streams like Central Government.

I think there's a general expectation to relocate.
After reading through last year's thread it seems results to the tests started coming through after 30 September.
Original post by EpicBrum
I know they say be prepared to move as placements can be anywhere, but in reality is it a case of you not having much choice in location?

Im definitely not prepared to relocate. And id be a bit gutted if i somehow managed to get through and i then had to turn it down because they want me to work on the other side of the country.

Im in South Yorkshire for what its worth. So london is a no no, which is why im not bothering with certain streams like Central Government.

Every situation is different, but the general expectation is that you'll do one of your first few postings away from your home area. Which is likely to mean London, if you're normally based outside of London.

CSR seem to be fairly willing to take personal circumstances into account when assigning placements, but ultimately there are no guarantees that you'll always get the locations you want.

If your inability to relocate is due to financial committments such as a mortgage or an unbreakable tenancy contract I believe there is help available to prevent you having to pay rent/mortgage on two locations. If it's due to family committments, being a carer, etc, you'd need to talk to our cohort leader.

What schemes are you applying for? Central Departments, as by far the largest of the schemes, is going to have the most choice of locations.
Original post by what is thisMkII
After reading through last year's thread it seems results to the tests started coming through after 30 September.

Thanks for this
Original post by ManifoldManifest
Every situation is different, but the general expectation is that you'll do one of your first few postings away from your home area. Which is likely to mean London, if you're normally based outside of London.

CSR seem to be fairly willing to take personal circumstances into account when assigning placements, but ultimately there are no guarantees that you'll always get the locations you want.

If your inability to relocate is due to financial committments such as a mortgage or an unbreakable tenancy contract I believe there is help available to prevent you having to pay rent/mortgage on two locations. If it's due to family committments, being a carer, etc, you'd need to talk to our cohort leader.

What schemes are you applying for? Central Departments, as by far the largest of the schemes, is going to have the most choice of locations.

Thanks for the info. It's down to family commitments for me.

I'm applying for the Digital and Technology stream. I guess there's no harm in giving it a go. If I get through and can't take up the post, then so be it.
Original post by laridum
Thanks. There's probably a Maths for Dummies book or site for kids I can look at I guess.

Original post by ManifoldManifest
The numerical test is not too tricky, and you don't need to score amazingly to pass. If you want to revise for it I found ratios and percentages to be the most useful bits of math to brush up on.

I have been revising with the specific books for these types of tests. I agree, percentages are great to brush up on. The problem I'm having is not having enough time.
Does anyone know if the numerical and verbal reasoning selection tests are negatively marked?
Original post by Norwegian_fish
Does anyone know if the numerical and verbal reasoning selection tests are negatively marked?

I really doubt it. This style of test usually is not negatively marked. If it was, I would surely expect them to tell us that before the test so that we didnt answer questions we really weren't sure on. Also, theres no set pass mark, its just the bottom 35% who fail. Given that, youd expect many who fail to have a minus score. In which case, it could be possible to pass without answering any (i.e. a score of 0).

So it seems unlikely. At least I really hope so considering I guessed the last 4 on the verbal reasoning in the last 10 seconds in the hope I could get an extra mark or two (Im sure this is quite common).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
As a final year Economics and Politics undergraduate, I am thinking of applying to the Civil Service Fast Stream this year. However, I saw the comments about the possibility of relocation and it is something I just cannot risk. I want certainty of where I will be based due to personal circumstances and I want that location to be in or very close to London.

Can anyone recommend any of the streams to focus on? Or are there any other public sector graduate programmes outside of the Civil Service Fast Stream that anyone can recommend?
Reply 189
Time to prepare for the EAC I guess. :smile:
Original post by Constant2015
As a final year Economics and Politics undergraduate, I am thinking of applying to the Civil Service Fast Stream this year. However, I saw the comments about the possibility of relocation and it is something I just cannot risk. I want certainty of where I will be based due to personal circumstances and I want that location to be in or very close to London.

Can anyone recommend any of the streams to focus on? Or are there any other public sector graduate programmes outside of the Civil Service Fast Stream that anyone can recommend?

The NGDP (National Graduate Development Programme) link here: http://www.ngdp.org.uk/
Original post by Rubida
Anyone else here trying for the Analytical Social Research branch? Just did the verbal test and probably completely failed it. Didn't have time to answer the last 4 or 5 questions. And now for the maths test! I suck at maths.

I am! I did the practice and got top 35 for verbal but failed the numerical. And I have no idea how I'll be able to not fail. I've practiced all day but I'm just so, so slow! It's really gutting because I actually feel semi-confident about everything that comes after, I'd hate to not be able to progress cos of this. :frown:
Original post by doomy
Time to prepare for the EAC I guess. :smile:

Well done! So amazing that you've heard this quickly :smile:
Can I ask how people approach the numerical test? I'm not very good at maths but after practice I can sort of figure out how to get to the right answer. Obviously part of my problem is that I take ages to do that haha, but sometimes it's a case of having to type in loads of numbers into a calculator which takes a good while for a lot of the practice questions I feel. So do you generally try to figure out what the most likely answer might be in your head before turning to the calculator? I just don't feel that a minute each is enough time sometimes. :/
Reply 194
Original post by tuutikki
I am! I did the practice and got top 35 for verbal but failed the numerical. And I have no idea how I'll be able to not fail. I've practiced all day but I'm just so, so slow! It's really gutting because I actually feel semi-confident about everything that comes after, I'd hate to not be able to progress cos of this. :frown:

You've pretty much described my situation as well. Pretty sure I failed, just have to wait and see with the results. Good luck!
Original post by Rubida
You've pretty much described my situation as well. Pretty sure I failed, just have to wait and see with the results. Good luck!

Thank you! Let me know how you get on, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Think I'll practice a bit more tomorrow and then just do it on Saturday, there's only so much better I can get at it haha.
Original post by Constant2015

If you insisted on never leaving, say, Dundee, then it might be an issue. But I think the majority of roles -- especially economics roles -- are in London, so especially if you have a good reason I bet you could stay there.
I'm hoping to have a go at this! - Summer Diversity Internship Programme :wink:
Original post by Rubida

Quick question, once you've completed the tests, do you have to do the full application form? Or do you only do it if you pass the online selection tests?
Reply 199
Just wondering on the practise test what is the lowest ranking you can get ? I came in the bottom 65 for the numerical.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending