Opinion of the female names Seraphina and Ophelia? Watch

Sarah1999
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Personally I love the name Seraphina, I like how it's long and has four syllables, and it can be shortened - for example, Sera, Phina, Nina etc.

I also like Ophelia, which ovbiously has four syllables and can be shortened to Phelia and Lia.

Negative and positive comments on the names welcome!
TheGrammarGuru
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The first one is a nice name - the shortenings are a bit weird.
The second is not my cup of tea - more of an African-sounding name if that doesn't sound racist. It's not intended to.
ReputableChav
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not really a fan of names that can easily cause confusion. Usually anything that involves, "Excuse me, how do you spell that?" or just any general mispronunciation when read aloud.
The above might be a slight issue with the first name. Less likely for the second.
The second isn't too bad but personally I'm not a huge fan.
superduper9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seraphina sounds cool. I like that.
Ophelia sounds weird. Sounds like something you'd learn in biology about the female body
MsFahima
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ah.. I don't really like the sound of Ophelia.

Seraphina sounds good though. What's the point of choosing a nice name and then shortening it?
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ophelia? You mean like.... ped-Ophelia? Yeah, doesn't like good.
username1504459
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My great gran's second name was the French version of Seraphina so I like it It's a nice name, very nymph like

Less keen on Ophelia but if you like Shakespeare
ReputableChav
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MsFahima)
Ah.. I don't really like the sound of Ophelia.

Seraphina sounds good though. What's the point of choosing a nice name and then shortening it?
Often it's easier for other people to call you by a shortened name. Also using a full name often sounds serious.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unlike most people here, I quite like the sound of Ophelia. It's the connotations it has that I don't like - I can't think about Ophelia without thinking "drowned".

I like how angelic Seraphina sounds.
MsFahima
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ReputableChav)
Often it's easier for other people to call you by a shortened name. Also using a full name often sounds serious.
But the full names are so much nicer! (imo anyway). Just take Seraphina for example. Sera/Phina/Nina... doesn't sound great.
Imogen96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really a fan of Seraphina, sounds too frilly and posh.
I love the name Ophelia but wouldn't use it because of the mental illness/suicide connotations in Hamlet.
K.C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My mother's middle name is Ophelia
ReputableChav
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MsFahima)
But the full names are so much nicer! (imo anyway). Just take Seraphina for example. Sera/Phina/Nina... doesn't sound great.
I'd say the full name, give it a good 5 seconds of appreciation, then go with Phina for simplicity! I wouldn't be able to keep on using the full name, it would get too much xD
Tabstercat
Badges: 14
Report 4 years ago
Seraphina is a dumb name, too long, posh, awful.
Ophelia is a better name but she's a crazy lady in Hamlet so I really don't know why you'd name your daughter that. Get thee to a nunnery.
MsFahima
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ReputableChav)
I'd say the full name, give it a good 5 seconds of appreciation, then go with Phina for simplicity! I wouldn't be able to keep on using the full name, it would get too much xD
Haha. Maybe! :lol:
Sarah1999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For the record I'm not pregnant, and don't plan on getting pregnant for a long time.

I just love both names (especially Seraphina) and wanted to know others opinions as they're both quite unusual names.

Thanks for all your comments :-).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.13%
No (216)
76.87%

Watched Threads