The Student Room Group

Only Maths in A2?

So I'm planning to apply to Cambridge this October for the Maths Tripos. I did Bio, Chem, Physics, and the three maths (further and additional) for AS. It's going well, I guess; however I'm not happy about the sciences. I was planning to drop Bio and Chem next year, and that'll definitely happen. But it would be really nice to only do maths, as physics is not that interesting to me. I mean don't get me wrong I plan to do theoretical physics, but A level physics is nowhere near that.

Anyways, would it be possible, to only do three subjects for A2, Maths, Further and Additional, and still be considered for Cambridge?
(edited 8 years ago)
You'll have to wait for someone a bit more clued up, but I'm fairly certain that you'd have to have something besides only maths.
Reply 2
You are still doing 3 A-levels so that should be ok. And after all it is all about the maths, but might be an idea to email an Admissions Tutor or ask in the Fitz_SLO thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gagafacea1
So I'm planning to apply to Cambridge this October for the Maths Tripos. I did Bio, Chem, Physics, and the three maths (further and additional) for AS. It's going well, I guess; however I'm not happy about the sciences. I was planning to drop Bio and Chem next year, and that'll definitely happen. But it would be really nice to only do maths, as physics is not that interesting to me. I mean don't get me wrong I plan to do theoretical physics, but A level physics is nowhere near that.

Anyways, would it be possible, to only do three subjects for A2, Maths, Further and Additional, and still be considered for Cambridge?

We'll be running an 'Ask a Maths interviewer' thread starting on Monday for two weeks where you can put your questions directly to our Mathematics interviewers!
Reply 4

Why not email the university admission team?

Spoiler

Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
We'll be running an 'Ask a Maths interviewer' thread starting on Monday for two weeks where you can put your questions directly to our Mathematics interviewers!

That's great, thanks!

Original post by kkboyk
Why not email the university admission team?

Spoiler

Don't know, probably was too lazy to "construct" an email.

Spoiler

Reply 6

Don't know, probably was too lazy to "construct" an email.

Spoiler

For maths they seem to be much leniant as long as you excel in Maths. My friend sent an email to Cambridge to ask if he can still apply despite retaking the year (but he already done STEP I and got grade 1). So they just told him to get the same grade for the other STEP as well as the A*A*A*.
Original post by kkboyk
For maths they seem to be much leniant as long as you excel in Maths. My friend sent an email to Cambridge to ask if he can still apply despite retaking the year (but he already done STEP I and got grade 1). So they just told him to get the same grade for the other STEP as well as the A*A*A*.

Well I'm doing STEP I this year, maybe if I get an S they'll be okay with it. The thing is I've heard of people getting an offer when they've done a lot less than me and only three A2s, so that's why I'm asking. I know it might seem a bit lazy, which I am lol, but it's more about being careful. Since this year I noticed that I didn't do so well in one of the maths exams that was mashed in between the three sciences exams, simply because I got very nervous about Bio and Chem.
Reply 8
Well I'm doing STEP I this year, maybe if I get an S they'll be okay with it. The thing is I've heard of people getting an offer when they've done a lot less than me and only three A2s, so that's why I'm asking. I know it might seem a bit lazy, which I am lol, but it's more about being careful. Since this year I noticed that I didn't do so well in one of the maths exams that was mashed in between the three sciences exams, simply because I got very nervous about Bio and Chem.

Sorry for the late reply :colondollar:

Yeah, if you can get hold of the admission team, they'll be able to give you the appropriate advice.

It will depend on the College I think I have seen an offer on TSR for all three Maths+STEP so clearly some Colleges are fine with all 3 Maths A Levels.Where as the college I applied to gave an offer of Maths,Further Maths and Physics and STEP despite the fact I am doing Additional Further Maths.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Dalek1099
It will depend on the College I think I have seen an offer on TSR for all three Maths+STEP so clearly some Colleges are fine with all 3 Maths A Levels.Where as the college I applied to gave an offer of Maths,Further Maths and Physics and STEP despite the fact I am doing Additional Further Maths.

But that's because you are doing 4 A-levels. The OP only wants to do 3.

Anyway, Peterhouse is hosting a Maths Admissions thread on Monday onwards so they can give a definitive answer then :smile:
Reply 11

Ask the Peterhouse team here:
Ask a Mathematics interviewer
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3404559
Original post by jneill
Ask the Peterhouse team here:
Ask a Mathematics interviewer
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3404559

Thank you very much for reminding me, although after how STEP I went, I think i'll have to take physics to compensate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending