The Student Room Group

Aqa GCSE Physics, core science, P1

For anyone who needs help on Physics revision, feel free to ask questions. And for those of you who are Physics experts, feel free to answer questions :smile:

Can someone please answer mine- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using solar cells, Thank you
Original post by Gcse123321
For anyone who needs help on Physics revision, feel free to ask questions. And for those of you who are Physics experts, feel free to answer questions :smile:

Can someone please answer mine- What are the advantages and disadvantages of using solar cells, Thank you

Pros:
-They emit no pollution
-Very reliable in countries where there is a lot of Sun
-The energy produced is essentially free
-Running costs nothing
-Can be used in remote places where traditional power grid access is limited.

Cons:
-Often not practical
-Can be expensive to connect to the National Grid
-High install price
-Useless at night.

Hope it helped :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Erm in convection currents is it the warmest at the top?
Reply 3
someone please explain tidal barrages please
Original post by Cherx
Erm in convection currents is it the warmest at the top?

Well, to an extent I suppose. The hotter liquid/gas will displace the cooler liquid/gas, but it doesn't remain hot since more liquid/gas will be heated to displace it again. I would say as soon as the liquid/gas is heated, it's at that point the liquid/gas is the hottest.

I like typing "liquid/gas" :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by haniexam
someone please explain tidal barrages please

Tidal barrages are big dams built across a river estuary with turbines in them. When the tide comes in it fills up the estuary and water can then be allowed out through the turbines at a controlled speed. The source of energy is from the gravity of the sun and the moon.

Pros:
- no pollution
- pretty reliable (they happen twice a day and always near to predicted height)
- minimal running costs
- potential to generate significant amount of energy
- excellent for storing energy to use at peak demand

Cons:
- prevents access by boats
- alters habitats
- spoils view
- height of tide variable so some lower tides will produce less energy
- initial costs high
- can only be used in the most suitable estuaries
Reply 6
6 mark question in the 2014 paper was on Kinetic theory

6 mark question in the 2013 papers Evaluating methods of generating electricity and energy transfer on the second paper

6 mark question in the 2012 paper again Generating electricity

6 mark question in the specimen paper was on Advantages and disadvantages of a specific method of generating electricity cant remember which one

So it seems like Generating electricity has come up a lot But if anyone has any predictions for tomorrow please let me know thankyou and good luck :wink:
Reply 7
Original post by Itspviter

6 mark question in the 2013 papers Evaluating methods of generating electricity and energy transfer on the second paper

6 mark question in the specimen paper was on Advantages and disadvantages of a specific method of generating electricity cant remember which one

So it seems like Generating electricity has come up a lot But if anyone has any predictions for tomorrow please let me know thankyou and good luck :wink:

If it is generating electricity then I will be so happy, I have 10 points to talk about!
Original post by Gcse123321

advanrages of solar cells
free energy
no pollution
renewable resource

disadvantages of solar cells
expensive
only work at daytimes
large area of land required
Original post by Itspviter

that was sooo useful thx buddy :biggrin:
Can someone give me a definition for refraction reflection and diffraction?? Thankyou
Reply 11
Original post by MEORegan
If it is generating electricity then I will be so happy, I have 10 points to talk about!

Care to share with us lol

Quick Reply

Latest